Open Wound Management

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Guest BaltimoreHounds

While I was having Christmas at my folks house, my dear hound Sunny took a spill down the basement stairs. Thankfully the worst problem is that he tore an opening in his flank that is 4 inches long and probably 3 wide. My house sitter took Sunny to the doc and she cut away some skin and then placed stitches.

All looked well for about the first 48 hrs, and then the skin around the stitches started pulling back...like a zipper, so that by yesterday all but 4 stitches remained in place. Poor sunny wasn't even licking at the wound! This just happened....spontaneously. He has been wearing a t shirt and isn't even interested in the wound.

Back off to the vet we went yesterday. The vet suggested a sugar dressing, and when I attempted this I made a huge mess (and discovered that greyhounds do not like sugar).

Do any of you guys have any words of wisdom on how to apply a successful sugar dressing or something similar?

The vet does not want to resuture because she thinks that this will happen all over again. (Sigh).

Ideas are welcome!

Sunny could not care less that he has a piece of flesh missing. He is in great spirits, on the other hand every time I look at his wound I cringe.

Can you post a picture so we can see exactly where it is and what it looks like?

I have never used sugar. Some people use honey.

Nixon had an open wound on his side last year.

I didn't even take him to the vet, as I knew they would not stitch it.

We just kept it cleaned, applied Colloidal Silver/Aloe on a non-stick pad, then wrapped him up to keep it clean / prevent licking.

We also put him some antiobiotics 'just in case'.

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

It's hard to tell where on the flank it's located, but if should heal just fine. It probably bothers you way more than it bothers him. You might want to talk to the vet for some antibiotics if he's not on them. I use the spray version of neosporin until it stops looking "juicy." Colloidal silver and other wound healing sprays can also be used. Many people have used manuka honey to great effect.

In the future, your vet may want to try staples instead of stitches. And really, most wounds on greyhounds end up being open wound management any way, so you might as well save the money on the surgery, and the stress on your hound, in the first place. You get used to it. :rolleyes:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest 2dogs4cats

I healed a wound that looked much like that one with Manuka Honey. It becomes a scar that doesn't grow hair,but the wound didn't have enough skin to be stitched together. It can take some time though to heal. As long as you keep it moist with something and lick free. Good luck,it doesn't look too bad. Also, best to keep it loosely covered with a t shirt or jammies.

Edited by 2dogs4cats

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Thank you guys for all your replies! You have made me feel better :-)

He definitely does not care that he has a hole in his side, he couldn't be happier.

He is wearing a loose fitting T shirt, so he cannot lick the area. He doesn't seem to be very interested in the wound at all.

He is on antibiotics, he's taking a course of Clavimox.

I've had greyhounds for over 8 years, and this is my first time dealing with a hole. I have had toe amputations, but not missing chunks.

I had a horse who developed pressure sores on his butt from being in traction (long story), but the sores healed up in time quite nicely, and the only ointment I used on the horse was SSD (with colloidal silver).

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

We had a hound in one of the groups that I volunteer with that had a hound that was in a fight and had a terrible wound on his chest that just wouldnt close. It kept opening up, staples, stiches, glue. You name it, it was in a spot that whenever he would lay down or stand up, it tore open the wound. The group decided to try laser therapy on the wound and wouldnt you know it, worked like a charm. Now the group uses laser therapy on a regular basis when they have a wound that could use a little extra help. I have found it not too expensive and it does work.

Chad

Guest BaltimoreHounds

Monzer says "here let me help you lick this"

photo-2_zpsd0e42954.jpg

And here is Sunny sporting his T shirt :-)

photo-1_zps2522ed83.jpg

Edited by BaltimoreHounds

:thumbs-up

Looks good!

Should heal up just fine.

That is almost the exact spot as Nixon's wound was!

I did manage to keep it vet-wrapped ... he's a 'licker'.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest BaltimoreHounds

My vet just gave me some 4"x4" tegaderm dressings...so I might try that.

I just put some silver dressing on it, and he snuck off and licked it all off. Sigh.

As far as the vetrap, would I just sort of wrap it around his torso? How many times?

I wouldn't wrap it either, but I'd keep using the t-shirt. Willow had a deep, full-thickness biopsy site that opened up close to that same area, and we managed it as an open wound. I just kept a t-shirt on her to protect the wound as well as keep the drainage from getting on everything. If anyone's interested, you can see a photo of Willow's wound here.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest BaltimoreHounds
I wouldn't wrap it either, but I'd keep using the t-shirt. Willow had a deep, full-thickness biopsy site that opened up close to that same area, and we managed it as an open wound. I just kept a t-shirt on her to protect the wound as well as keep the drainage from getting on everything. If anyone's interested, you can see a photo of Willow's wound here.

Wow! That was pretty deep.

I am on day 8 of Sunny's wound and I feel that it is granulating quite well. He's currently napping on the couch :-)