Cost Of A Dental ?

I have a 9yo for 4 years. He gets a dental every year. He has badly stained teeth and advance periodontal. He went in for a hemangioma removal so we slipped in a dental while he was out. The dental was 50.00 and the anesthia was 125.00. No extractions. He was more out of it this time and poop was pudding for 2 weeks since the antibiotics. Yougert, pumpkin, probiotic have not helped.

Are you serious?

A routine office visit costs $56 here. That's walking in the door and saying hello.

I have never left a vet visit spending under $200--$56 for the visit and there is always either a vaccination on blood work.

A routine dental here is at least $500.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Are you serious?

A routine office visit costs $56 here. That's walking in the door and saying hello.

I have never left a vet visit spending under $200--$56 for the visit and there is always either a vaccination on blood work.

A routine dental here is at least $500.

The hemanioma surgery was 85,biopsy 125, painmeds and antibiotics 25. No office chg if having surgery. Total bill385 Aspca insurance 100 deductable paid 200 Got lucky. I pay for basic illness policy $30month

Cost depends a lot on location, and on what the individual dog needs. Best get some quotes for your area, for vets you would be willing to use.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We just took 2 of our hounds in for dentals ... no extractions or special treatments needed so the cost per hound was $256.00 - prices vary a LOT depending on your location, as you are learning. Definitely call and ask your vet for prices.

As for teeth brushing - I encourage you to brush their teeth DAILY! Everything I have read says you really need to brush every day because plaque can form in a day. We have a nightly routine and we stick to it - after their dinner and a short walk, we brush teeth. Our four line up to get their teeth brushed, including our new guy who has only been with us for 4 weeks. It honestly doesn't take that long and if it helps minimize the need for dentals, it's so worth it. Our 10 yr old hound had her previous dental 3 years ago ... and she still has all her teeth, didn't need any special treatments, etc.

Good luck! :thumbs-up

Hi Karen,

I just had a lesson in how the cost of dentals can vary -

Up until recently, we always took Elliott and Lea to Dr. Rick at Orchards Veterinary Clinic in Vancouver, WA - he was highly recommended by our adoption group, and he was really good with our greys. He retired several months ago, so, since Vancouver, WA is a bit of a drive for us (we live in SE Portland, OR)and since Elliott needed to have a corn hulled, we went to a more local vet at Southgate Animal Clinic in Milwaukie,OR, who was also highly recommended by folks in our adoption group, and is much closer to our home.

I called Southgate to get an approximate cost for a dental - they quoted $350.00 to $500.00 depending on if extractions are needed. Meds would be extra.

I recall Orchards being much less expensive when Elliott had his last dental - around $250.00 or $275.00 total, and Elliott had 8 extractions and required antibiotics and pain meds. Also, while he was under, they trimmed his nails and cleaned his anal glands.

I called orchards to check on current pricing and they quoted $35.00 for the pre-screen and $155.00 (total $191.00) for the dental and anesthesia. Meds are extra. I neglected to ask how much extra for extractions, but since we have used them in the past and switched mainly due to convenience, we are taking the hounds there for their annual and if needed, their dentals.

Edited by TINMANPDX

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Guest snoopycomehome

Got ours done last month. $270 for Dragon (no extractions) and $285 for Gypsy (1 extraction). This included labwork. The unexpected cost was Gypsy's Augmentin. Almost $70!!! :eek Next time I will try to get it online first or from a less expensive pharmacy than Walgreens!

I called one other grey-friendly vet near us. They quoted $289 with no extractions.