Digging

Sam has started digging. He started one hole, so we put a brick in it hoping to deter him. He started a new hole, new brick and now he is on number 3. In three months he never showed any digging behavior, but now when we turn our backs he digs. One person suggested bored, but he doesn't show any signs of boredom other wise. He has seldom played with toys nor shown any interest in them. Any Suggestions?

Seamus, too, is a Landskaper. He is allowed One Project at a time, in the same area, that is his to werk on. I fill it in when he's done so that it's ready for the next time he feels the need to tweak it (he has a vision ....). That's what werks here for us.

Some peeps designate a sandbox area for their digging hounds.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I try to limit Peggy to one project too and so far she hasn't been able to workout how to stop the sand coming back and levelling it after she's out of sight. Still has a go at the edges so it is roots she's after... maybe she heard me cussing one of the rose bushes last summer because of its thorns.

If you don't mind having a hole then encourage him to dig in only one spot as mentioned above. If you don't want the digging it means paying attention and redirecting him when he starts to doing something you don't mind. When one of my girls starts digging I refill the hole and put plastic snow fence over it to discourage digging and watch closely for a couple days. Usually, if mine start to dig it is because I left them out in the yard too long. Last time I was painting on the house so I was out there with them, but they weren't getting the attention they wanted. :flip My bad!

Guest lanielovesgreys

Laika digs more often when her nails need clipping. She's a digger, too, but it's especially hard to get her to stop in the spring, and when her toenails are too long.

Guest itsagreytlife

Just curious. For those of you who have diggin' dogs, etc. how do you deal with the mud, dirt that ends up on the dog all the time? I ask bc our backyd has a few "berms" (basically dirt/mud hills) that make our dogs paws and sometimes legs & underbodies filthy. I am not an insanely clean housekeeper, but we do have some lightish colored carpet and now will be putting our house up for sale (ugh) so I have a tedious 3 step process for cleaning paws and legs--everytime they come inside. I have to wear rubber gloves now 'cause my fingers get so dry from the constant washing. It is a whole lot of work and I never read/hear about anybody else having to do this kind of thing. Just curious...

Lawn, what lawn,? Pee has done in a lot of the lawn, but the hole thing is new. We don't leave him out long, usually him and Mimi do their business and come right back to the door to get let in. (have to admit sometimes we forget to watch the door) Neither make any noise to get in

Have to wash and clean them after the digging or rain. Luckily we have tile where they come in.

Edited by Koyotekyle

Guest Scouts_mom

I replaced my lawn with a very thick layer of bark dust so they didn't get as muddy. To protect the flower beds I put down large rocks, logs and chicken wire. The vegtable garden got a fence around it.

Guest Clawsandpaws
Just curious. For those of you who have diggin' dogs, etc. how do you deal with the mud, dirt that ends up on the dog all the time? I ask bc our backyd has a few "berms" (basically dirt/mud hills) that make our dogs paws and sometimes legs & underbodies filthy. I am not an insanely clean housekeeper, but we do have some lightish colored carpet and now will be putting our house up for sale (ugh) so I have a tedious 3 step process for cleaning paws and legs--everytime they come inside. I have to wear rubber gloves now 'cause my fingers get so dry from the constant washing. It is a whole lot of work and I never read/hear about anybody else having to do this kind of thing. Just curious...

Can you just hose them off? Or if it's dry enough just wipe them down with a dry towel? You could also buy a large plastic tub and make them hop in it to get the dirt off. My Grey has a lot of white on him, so I will often just use a towel and wipe it off, I don't think there's a faster way :(

On the farm we had a 'mud room' before you could get into the house which allowed dogs to be cleaned off in time. But the best solution was to shut them in a shed with clean straw for about 10 minutes... they'd come out dry and smelling sweet.

These days Peggy gets the damp towel treatment or a bowl dip of each leg and towelling off if really bad.

Another thing you can do is put down light gravel on the muddiest areas so that it just works its way into the mud, meaning hadly any gets picked up in their feet.

Our front yard is lawn, the back is covered with playground mulch that I replenish about every other year. When we do have muddy feet I use towels and/or baby wipes, depending on how bad they are.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest itsagreytlife
Can you just hose them off? Or if it's dry enough just wipe them down with a dry towel? You could also buy a large plastic tub and make them hop in it to get the dirt off. My Grey has a lot of white on him, so I will often just use a towel and wipe it off, I don't think there's a faster way :(

I have the hose always ready on the deck during the summer and warmer months. But not an option in the winter. It sounds like you are right, that there is no other way than just wiping them off every time (I have a little tupperware of water to dip their paws in waiting by the door). Our newest, big boy Chance, is settling in (had him just over 6 months) and he is lately looovvving to go outside and run and play, quite frequently. Sure wish I had a big tub for him, especially this month as it has been raining a lot! He's such a goof--always hustles out of the room when he sees me coming with the wet paper towels. A backyard with less mud potential will be a major point of interest when we start looking for a new house. I will consider the other ideas as well. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Guest Clawsandpaws

I have the hose always ready on the deck during the summer and warmer months. But not an option in the winter. It sounds like you are right, that there is no other way than just wiping them off every time (I have a little tupperware of water to dip their paws in waiting by the door). Our newest, big boy Chance, is settling in (had him just over 6 months) and he is lately looovvving to go outside and run and play, quite frequently. Sure wish I had a big tub for him, especially this month as it has been raining a lot! He's such a goof--always hustles out of the room when he sees me coming with the wet paper towels. A backyard with less mud potential will be a major point of interest when we start looking for a new house. I will consider the other ideas as well. Thanks for the tips everyone!

I just thought of something, maybe a light weight t-shirt that covers the belly? Just a thought!