Omg I Almost Just Killed Larry! :(

he seems no worse for wear this morning, thank God. We had folks over for dinner last night so he got lots and lots of extra luvins. :)

thanks for posting that video! Believe me, when it's happening, it is HARD to stay calm and think clearly! I'm just glad I was able to have him get it up. I hope to never experience that ever again!

and I honestly don't know how I didn't get bitten (not intentionally!). He was such a good boy!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Just seeing this now. Im glad he is okay! Your post about gave me a heart attack as I was experiencing it with you!!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

Oh, how scary! Thank God Larry is ok.

and :grouphug to you for having to go through that horrible experience and fright!

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I had read your post the other day....and I am so thankful that I did.....(Though I wished I had kept following and watched the heimlich video).....

Last night, I gave Dustin a treat and he went off to eat it. About three or four minutes later, I went to look for him and he was doing what you described with rubbing away at his gums with his paws. He did very little wretching, so had I not read your post, I might not have been as quick to realize what was happening. I tried reaching down his throat and couldn't find the biscuit....by this point, his paws had a few cuts from his teeth and his gums were bleeding from his claws. I just started making him move and banging on his chest until without any sound, there was the treat sitting on the floor.

Like Larry, he seems no worse for the wear, though I am suspect he has a bit of a sore throat this morning as he is hesitant about his dry food.

So....while I am so sorry you had to go through what you did, I am so thankful that you posted, because I might not have moved to action so quickly if I had not read your post.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I had read your post the other day....and I am so thankful that I did.....(Though I wished I had kept following and watched the heimlich video).....

Last night, I gave Dustin a treat and he went off to eat it. About three or four minutes later, I went to look for him and he was doing what you described with rubbing away at his gums with his paws. He did very little wretching, so had I not read your post, I might not have been as quick to realize what was happening. I tried reaching down his throat and couldn't find the biscuit....by this point, his paws had a few cuts from his teeth and his gums were bleeding from his claws. I just started making him move and banging on his chest until without any sound, there was the treat sitting on the floor.

Like Larry, he seems no worse for the wear, though I am suspect he has a bit of a sore throat this morning as he is hesitant about his dry food.

So....while I am so sorry you had to go through what you did, I am so thankful that you posted, because I might not have moved to action so quickly if I had not read your post.

OMG!!! I'm so glad he was able to get it up!!!! and although I wish what happened to Larry hadn't happened, I'm thankful it at least helped another!

someone posted on another site that you should take the dog into the vet in case some residue was still left in the throat (or maybe had been aspirated??) but with Larry, I know he got up the entire piece and it sounds like Dustin did, too.

hoping his throat is better!!! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thank you for the video on the Heimlich. I took a canine first aid class, but i honestly couldn't remember the right technique - it's a greyt refresher!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest Playful_Grey

I just watched the Heimlich video - I, like everyone else, am very thankful Larry is ok & greytful to know what to do if either of my girls choke. Thank you for these posts!

Glad that everyone is okay!!

Ace has tried to swallow a big piece of rawhide before and has choked on it. I've had to pick it out of her throat. Scary, and really gross!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest WhiteWave

I know how scary it can be. Jack stole Joey's chicken back and got it stuck. His gums were already blue when I found him and he looked to almost having a seizure. Being little I was able to grab him up and thankfully it came out, but I was scared to death. I though he was already dead when I found him. He bounced right back though, I was upset about it a lot longer than he was.

Guest SealDogMermaid

So glad he's alright - my heart started beating frantically just reading about it.

so scary!

happy that he is ok!

found this on youtube, always good to learn:

thanks so much for this video - passed it along to all my doggie-parents out there!

Also, a fellow houndie owner just shared this one with me - also good to know! :-)

this is great info too -- I'm going to ask the mods if they'd consider posting both YouTubes in a sticky at the top here. Might save a life.

Guest SealDogMermaid
this is great info too -- I'm going to ask the mods if they'd consider posting both YouTubes in a sticky at the top here. Might save a life.

Yes! Good idea - that would be great!!