Perinal Adenoma - Mork

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

Mork was just diagnosed with a perianal adenoma. He's 13+ and I really don't want to put him through surgery (I have yet to talk to my vet to determine what his options are). For those that have hounds that were diagnosed, what was the treatment plan? Did you have surgery and how old was your hound if you did? I also read that freezing the tumor off is an option depending on size - is this the case? His is about the size of a pea.

Any input it appreciated! And here is a recent pic of him enjoying a car ride :)

photo.jpg

No advice, just :kiss2 to Mork.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

That is the benign kind, right? My family's non-grey had the malignant kind (perianal adenocarcinoma), and unfortunately, because almost all of it was internal (and him being really hairy didn't help), by the time it was visible, it was already the size of a baseball inside him. So even surgery wasn't really a viable option at that point. :( So we kept him happy for the time he had left.

I just reread your post and it is the size of a pea? I guess in the end these two situations aren't really very similar. It sounds like your guy is in a much better place than Domino was, so I hope I didn't scare you. I hope you get some good advice and options and that this is just a minor annoyance.

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Was the diagnosis made on an aspirate? Is it irritated or ulcerated? If they're fairly certain that's what it is, and it's small and non-ulcerated, there's really no need to remove it. Perianal adenomas are fairly common, benign growths that often don't need treatment unless they cause problems.

Corey had one about the size of a marble that I diagnosed on an aspirate about 3-4 years ago. I finally removed it earlier this year when he was under anesthesia for a dental and another growth removal. It had only gotten a tiny bit bigger, but I figured I'd go ahead and remove it while he was under anyway.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest peacehound

Peace had surgery to remove one when she was almost eight..it was the absolute worse recovery...she ended up getting an abscess that was painful and took a long time to heal, she was on stool softeners and still couldn't go to the bathroom for a week, it was so painful for her..If it is possible to not remove the tumor on your dog I would recommend it..Peace was a bounce when I got her a couple months before surgery and had no vet records at all, my vet said it could of been there for years but it would be best to remove..don't think I would of had I known how she would recover, but I know all dogs are different..good luck, will keep your hound in my thoughts

Guest MnMDogs

Yes. Perianal. I just noticed the typo... Thank for your responses. I'm putting that worry aside since my husband just let me know he's non weight bearing suddenly on back left. Mork has corns on front feet and a bad back right so this isn't good. And I'm 3000 miles away. :(.

Edited by MnMDogs

Yes. Perianal. I just noticed the typo... Thank for your responses. I'm putting that worry aside since my husband just let me know he's non weight bearing suddenly on back left. Mork has corns on front feet and a bad back right so this isn't good. And I'm 3000 miles away. :(.

Oh no, that must be a horrible feeling. Thinking good thoughts for your boy :grouphug

I was coming to tell you that Jabari had a perianal adenoma a couple of years ago. His was bigger than a pea, and he's only 11 lbs. My vet removed it b/c she said if it grew it would be harder to remove and could cause problems, and that is an area you don't want to mess with. Jabari recovered just fine, no issues. Path report came back benign.

Let us know how Mork is doing... :heart

Guest MnMDogs

Thanks all - he broke his toe. We have no idea how, but he broke a toe! After a hellish morning texting my husband and emailing my vet - all other xrays are normal. He's splinted and we're using a towel (well Ryan is) to support him until he starts to heal. Mork had LP tieback surgery 2 years ago, and a side effect is that he can no longer bark (or yelp,or let out a GSOD). So there was no sound when he broke it (and we have no idea how it happened). So I'm going to forget about the adenoma right now, and just be thankful we didn't lose him today...we were prepared for the worst, and my worst nightmare is losing a dog while I'm gone.

Lucy, I messed up quoting your post, but thank you for your kind words - and I cannot believe poor little Bari had such a big growth... yikes!!!

Edited by MnMDogs

Booker had a perianal adenoma when he was about 8 years old. We opted for surgery at the vet's recommendation and it was not a good recovery. At home that evening he started to bleed heavily so I took him to the e-vet where he was stitched up better, and had a bad reaction to the anesthesia; his temperature shot up and we thought we were going to lose him. It was freezing cold outside, so we made him comfortable in the back of the SUV with the door open so that he would cool down, and the e-vet (bless him, and the assistants, at Katonah Bedford Animal Hospital in NY) trekked in and out to keep taking his temperature and see how he was doing. The cold finally helped him over the crisis and we were able to take him home. This converted me to a "watchful waiting" stance for just about everything thereafter (until he got the soccer ball sized spleen when he was 11, which is another story ...) For a pea sized perianal adenoma, I would definitely measure and watch for the present, as it's benign, unless it was interfering with his ability to empty himself. I hope poor Mork's toe heals quickly and well!

Terry

bth_FredandKimbaGreytalksignature1.jpg?t

Loving Kimba & Fred, missing Booker & Polly, first greyhounds, never forgotten.
"I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights.
That is the way of a whole human being."
Abraham Lincoln

Guest MnMDogs

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested - radiologist confirmed no cancer on xrays. But he broke his toe in 3 places!!! Ryan said it looked awful. Still no clue how this happened, but I wonder if he was "running" into the house and caught his gnarly outer toenail on the slider frame. Since he can't yelp, Ryan never would have known.

He's also got some disk issues in his neck that don't surprise me. But the only treatment that the vet (not ours, she was out, I see her saturday) suggested was CT and surgery... If we were torn about having about the tiny adenoma removed, there is NO WAY IN HELL, we're performing disk surgery on the old dude.

He's apparently getting around better, and Ryan got a harness for him that aids in lifting. We really thought we were going to lose him yesterday, and I can't express how thankful I am that I will get to see his funny face, and smell his stinky breath again when I get home. He's the last of our original 3. :(

Glad your boy is still with you, warts & all. :) I think my old man had one of those too & it never bothered him. Speedy healing Mork!

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis