Finn's X-Ray - Need Advice

Guest FinnsMom

Guest FinnsMom

When the did the x-ray on Finn the other day we saw an extra piece of bone on the side of his leg. The vet has no clue what it is, thinking it might, and it's a big might, be a bone fragment. However, she is not sure and with Finn limping, which is so sporadic it makes no sense, I thought I would post the x-ray here and see what others think.

He shows no signs of pain at all inside and walks with no limp. When we go outside, he will sometimes walk slow, with a limp, but sometimes he trots just fine without a limp and sometimes he will lift his leg and hop but that is rare to see.

So the vet is not sure about what she has seen, and of course I have no clue and am not sure where to go from here.

I got the meloxicam for him tonight but then both walks I took him on, one at 5 and the other at 7:30 there was no limp so now I'm not so sure about that either. LOL

edited to add: I have not given him any of the meloxicam yet.

Here is the link to the x-ray, as it's quite large so I didn't want to post it here.

http://i1156.photobu.../Finnx-ray2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions. :)

Edited by FinnsMom

Guest FinnsMom

I never thought of a bone spur, and the vet didn't say anything like that either which is why I posted here. This forum is such a wealth of knowledge.

Spurs tend to be less rounded. Could be possible that the positioning for the xray is slightly rotated. Sesmoid bones are rounder but that thingy does look attached.

On your xray, directly to the left of the words "extra bone piece", it looks like an old healed fracture.

This link shows a great dane's bone spur: http://danescanq.blogspot.com/2010/12/do-over.html (scroll down)

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest FinnsMom

The vet said that old break is probably the reason he isn't racing anymore. We didn't know about the racing injury until we saw the xray. Not that would have stopped me from adopting him. Lol

Is there another thread with more background about this? And do you have the same view of the "good" leg for comparison by any chance?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FinnsMom

No she x-rayed both hips and then the full leg that he'd been limping on. On his morning walk there was no limp again and while we didn't go on the long walk, which is the way he wanted to go, we still went a little over 1/2 km. So now since he hasn't limped since his walk yesterday at 2, I'm even more stumped than ever.

I did start giving him glucosamine a little over a month ago so maybe that is finally starting to make a difference.

She did say that if it was that much of a concern to me that we could have a radiologist look at it, so maybe I'll just do that to rule things out.

I'm wondering if the limp is from some inflammation and the Meloxicam relieved some of the discomfort for Finn. We are using this daily on our lab who had a significant limp from arthritis. We saw results within one day and he is now able to walk his normal route. If there is an old fracture, perhaps Finn is experiencing arthritis in the area causing discomfort. Just a thought as it is sometimes hard to puzzle out the cause.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest FinnsMom

I haven't given him any of the meloxicam yet. We didn't get the prescription until supper last night and then dropped it off at the pharmacy to be picked up today which is why this is so puzzling. LOL

There is some arthritis around the joints where the break was but since the limp is so sporadic it's hard to say what's going on. :dunno

I would ask to have the radiologist review the film just to be safe, and you might as well submit it to OSU as well. How old is he?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest FinnsMom

He's only 4. I sent a consult through OSU late last night and got an email this morning requesting a couple other views of the area. So I'll be taking him in Monday for another x-ray. It will be examined by the orthopedists at OSU.

What I don't understand is when the vet saw that extra boney growth, why she didn't take another x-ray or two to see the whole area.