A New Brood Momma.

Guest tractoen

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I have heard that they can be either patient or snarky. I've had two and both were seniors, very mellow, patient, and loving hounds. If they can put up with puppies climbing all over them - they can handle just about everything. I got them as I thought they would be more tolerant towards little grandkids who may come running up on them. Broodies are the best!

You got yourself one beautiful hound there.

I've lived with two brood mamas. Treasure is patient, easy going, somewhat aloof and very sweet. She is loved by all. Loca was a bossy spitfire who was a master thief with a huge prey drive. Having said that, she showed so much empathy towards people and greyhounds alike. She was tons of work and I often threatened to just open the door and let her go, but I loved her to pieces.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• 2 months later...
Guest tsmith1

Tracy,

I just adopted a rescue greyhound (my first) this past weekend. I found this link and see that you newest greyhound is my gregs (Gable Sonic) mother.

I didn't know if you found the link for Lillian's other pup's.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=gable+sonic

Do you happen to know what kennel she had these pup's? My grey is 3 years old, but there is a 1 year where I don't know who was caring for him. I have some minor behaviour issues and I'm hoping to know anything I can on him.

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by tsmith1

Guest tractoen

Hi Tom! When we adopted Lily, she was coming from Abilene, KS. I'm not sure where exactly, but I think I know how to find out. The woman who arranged her adoption, Shelley, was also Gus's trainer during his racing days and has a lot of connections. She might know or at least would know who might be able to help out.

Lily has been home for a little over a month now, and she's doing wonderfully! She's laid back yet quite different from our Gus. She absolutely LOVES playing with squeaky toys and has made a collection of two or three in every room in the house. She's incredibly affectionate and loves to just rest her head in either of our laps and let herself be petted. We love having her, and now--as crazy as it may sound--when I think back to our months when we only had Tolee the schnauzer, Gus, and Potato the cat, it seems like Lily had been missing the whole time.

Tom,

This is what Shelley just sent me in a facebook message:

As far as I know, she came off of Jay Rangel's farm, but she could have been leased out to other owner's for her pups. Looks like Green Smith owned Sonic, according to the database.

Does that help at all?

Congratulations on your recent addition of Lily! It sounds like her personality matches her beauty! :)

We brought in two brood moms. Both wonderfully outgoing, friendly, very loving, gentle and confident. Seems broodies have additional life experience deserving ultimate queen-like respect. It's nice to see caring motherly instincts appear even years after a broodie's last litter, such as shifting to ultra high alert if a human baby cries or hearing puppies on TV or computer. Gently watching over or leading their new found family, keeping things collected, etc.

One offspring pup joined mom at age 2.5 (pup is now 5). Mother and pup remembered each other instantly, and their bond is extremely tight. Brood mom took over the instant her adult pup arrived, teaching pup all things about living in a home, including that it was okay to walk inside the door of a family home! (Pup statued in fear outside the door until mom gave the canine "follow momma" signal.) Pup was very shy during the first month. She ran upstairs whenever another hound squeaked a toy downstairs. (You'd never know that now; she's as outgoing as ever! :))

I just adopted a rescue greyhound (my first) this past weekend. I found this link and see that you newest greyhound is my gregs (Gable Sonic) mother.

I didn't know if you found the link for Lillian's other pup's.

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=gable+sonic

Do you happen to know what kennel she had these pup's? My grey is 3 years old, but there is a 1 year where I don't know who was caring for him. I have some minor behaviour issues and I'm hoping to know anything I can on him.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom: If desired, please feel free to post behavior questions on GT. Collectively, there are so many GT members that many others have experienced common behaviors of newly retiring Greyhounds. Greyhounds often blossom dramatically over weeks, months, even years as they become more comfortable in their new environment.

I am fortunate to have met Lily twice now, at home and in a park play date, and I can confirm that in person she is truly one of the most beautiful greyhounds I have ever laid eyes on, and she is wonderfully athletic with a great personality. :wub:

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest tsmith1

Thanks Tracy.

The foster home Sonic couldn't provide me with anything but a rumor that Green Smith purchased several dozen greyhounds with the Gable line to race and then chose not to race many of them. So there is a year gap btwn Sonic's last race and when he entered foster care.

I assume he was injuried at some point but the vet didn't find anything wrong and he doesn't seem to be favoring any of his legs.

Tom: If desired, please feel free to post behavior questions on GT. Collectively, there are so many GT members that many others have experienced common behaviors of newly retiring Greyhounds. Greyhounds often blossom dramatically over weeks, months, even years as they become more comfortable in their new environment.

3greytjoys thanks, I'm sure there is a lot fo great advise here. Sonic (now called Sherlock because he has to investigate everything in his environment) is really making a very good transition. I've had several dogs before but never a greyhound. Our other dog (lab/shepherd mix) seems to be having more problems adjusting to the new member than the grey is.

SInce he loves to chew so much and already gone through two chew toys we haven't developed the trust yet to leave him unattend in the house with the other dog. So we crate he about 3 hours a day tops (I work shift work so there is almost always someone home all day except those three hours). He really chewed up the metal crate and I would have thought he would have felt safe in there, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems more like separation anxiety, but I won't think he would have developed that in four days. And lastly is the war about sleeping in the bed. The couch is fine, but my wife and I don't permit any dog to sleep in bed with us. I know the odds are against us winning that one, but we'll see.

How the heck do you paste pictures on this board?

Tom, you really need to start a new thread in the Training and Behavior section, or no one will see it to respond, plus if anyone did it would sort of hijack the brood mama/Lily thread.

To post pictures they need to be in a hosting site such as Photobucket, and then you post the IMG code from the photo there into your message.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

They rule with a velvet paw. They are sooo wise. I have learned so much from my 2. Aggie taught me some very important truths that I will be forever grateful for and Momma Seabird is, well, she's like a momma to me! Broodies are a very very special jewel.

• 1 month later...
Guest Doggone

I am so glad I found this thread :). It was posted before I adopted Autumn, and given Autumn's behavior, she didn't seem to fit into the new-adoptee profile shared by many.

She's a 7-year-old former broodie. She ran only one race (which she won :D), and since that time, has had 3 litters (16 pups). I'm guessing she was "brooding" for about 4-5 years. She was fostered for about 2-3 weeks, during which she spent some of the time recovering from her spaying and a few dental extractions.

She came into my home and has behaved as if she's live with me for years. She's completely laid-back and doesn't seem to be fazed by much. She gets gentle guidance in learning my house rules, but so far, I'm still waiting to have to correct her. She does take her retirement VERY seriously, and doesn't seem to have any interest in learning anything other than just being amenable and cooperative in our daily life.

I know she has only been with me for a short while, and maybe there'll be a change in her personality, but so far, she's just acting more and more comfortable being here. I'm presuming that part of her calm and gentle nature could come from being 7, and maybe partly from not being part of the "racing crowd". Whether I'm right or not, I know I'm very lucky to have found her.

:)