A New Brood Momma.

Guest tractoen

Guest tractoen

So we just received some exciting news! Lily (Gable Lillian) is officially on hold for us in Abilene, KS. She's a retiring brood momma, and as new greyhound owners, we know little to nothing about broodies, except that people rave about them. What is it about them that people love so much? What can we expect that might be different from our current lazy boy, Gus (Gustafson).

Bonus: Lily and Gus are half-siblings, both from Gable Dodge!

I told Tracey to post here so she could hear all the broodie testimonials first hand -- I've read so many here but couldn't relay them from experience. :) Here are two pictures of the beauteous Lily.

GableLillian2.jpg

GableLillian1.jpg

And her link: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=xOJ8jR&d=gable+lillian&sex=&color=&birthyear=&birthland=

I am very excited that Lily will be part of my extended greyhound family! She is closely related to Beth on both sides and even has the same birthday, two years earlier.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

She is beautiful! Congrats! I don't have any experience with Brood Mamas, but hear that are wonderful.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest cristaron

What a beauty.

You're going to love her to pieces!!

There's nothing like a mama dog - just so well adjusted to everything and

easy. Spoiled, maybe, but she'll steal your heart the instant she walks

into your home.

Enjoy!

Lily is beautiful :beatheart I love, love brood mamas.....they are loving, sweet, patient, kind, funny, and soooo adorable! Here is my brood mama - Raina (Lets get itdone) My heart just almosts bursts everytime I look at her :beatheart Raina will be 12 in 12 days, she retired from her momma duties at 8.5.

Can't wait to hear all about Lily!

IMG_0754.jpg

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Treasure is my second brood mama. I love them! For the most part they are very calm and can bring an entire playgroup of hounds to a stop with one look. My first brood mama was a bit crazy (in a fun way) but I think she was the exception.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Lily is just gorgeous!! :beatheart

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Lily is gorgeous!!! I cannot comment on the brood Mama thing since that is the ONLY 'type' of Grey we have not yet had. We've had a young puppy, a senior (return), one straight off the track, one that had been in a foster home before, one who failed at racing 20 month old, but not a brood mama! When our b*tchy female Tosca is no longer with us we can think of another female, but not until then.

Good luck, Lily is stunning!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Congrats! Can't comment on them since I haven't had one...YET! Based on all I've heard though, I know there's one in my future at some point!

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

No experience with Broodies, either.

Just wanted to say that Lily is Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Broodies (and seniors) are the best! :beatheart

We're watching a friend's brood mamma while she's in the hospital and she is SO sweet. Peyton's favourite lady is another broodie. He loves the older girls. ;)

IME, broodies are so sweet, gentle, and loving but they also know exactly what they want in life and won't take guff from any younguns!

She's a beauty for sure. Congratulations! :confetti

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Congratulations! She's lovely.

I've had 5 broodies here (3 currently), all seniors when adopted. They have differed in a lot of ways, but they've all been sweet, easy to work with, and very playful. If I had room, I'd bring home another in a heartbeat.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest PhillyPups

I also have had 5 broodies, a couple were a Brood with a Tude (The Queen and Gremlin) 3 of the 5 had a lot of pups (The Queen 34, Gremlin 48 and LadyLu 35). AnnaBanana who had only one litter rules the home now. LadyLu took over mothering (and correcting) Gizmo. Each one is a bit different, just like the non-brood hounds I have had. I love em all, but the broodies are special. The Queen (BarbieJade) joined me just before she turned 10 and was with me till almost 14, Gremlin came at the age of 11 (her pup is with me now and has the same spicey/saucey attitude her mother had, so that may have been in the breeding). LadyLu came at 9.5, she is Irish and Australian, came over inter-uterine, so has the IU after her name. She is quiet and non-demanding.

As with any living being, each one brings special traits to the table. I just love the Mama Dawgs :beatheart:beatheart

She is a beauty, good luck and congrats. :yay:yay

Self-confident, loving and gentle best describe my two broodies who are now at the bridge. Congratulations, she is beautiful. I hope your experience is as wonderful as mine was.

june