Larry's Not Eating Well All Of A Sudden?

All our dogs have been championship eaters -- including Nube, up until the last couple weeks before we let him go :(

Larry just in the past few days has not wanted to eat, much if at all. We are down in Florida, in a house that friends own, that we were at last year the same time (with Nube last year).

Up until recently, he literally BOUNCED when I carried his food bowl to his feeding spot. But the last few days he's acted like he doesn't want to eat. We feed a small amount of kibble in the morning, then a larger amount at 1pm and then 7pm or so (got in the habit of feeding 3 x when Nube, then Rainey both got bloat, on the advice of our vet). I started to add in some "goodies" that he had only gotten with the larger meals -- pumpkin, cottage cheese, hard-boiled egg -- thinking he was getting bored of just kibble. But then he just started not seeming to be interested in his lunch, too, that has all of that plus some homemade food (hamburger, chicken livers, chicken breast, some broccoli/cauliflower/sweet potato). He's never acted like this before. There's no fenced-in yard so he's even getting more exercise than he would at home, so I would think that would make him even hungrier.

I went to feed him this morning, he wouldn't even get off his dog bed when I came in with the food and set it on his feeding table! I coaxed him up, he looked at it and sniffed, then laid back down. I got him up again, he ate a few bites and then quit. He then got back up a few moments later and did start eating, and then stopped again. I went over to where he and his bowl was (thinking I'd take him to go pee and then see if he wanted more when we got back) and he then did start eating, and did finish his whole bowl (which did have more than his "usual" breakfast since we're just going to try 2 feedings today).

I had noticed that in the past few weeks he's been eating more slowly than he had in the past 1.5 years we had him (which isn't a bad thing, he would bolt it down and then always hork some back up). He SEEMS ok otherwise. The only different things down here is the treats (from Pet Supermarket, like bacon strip things and cheese/bacon treats, soft ones -- not the brand we get by us but the same kind of treat he normally gets along with Milkbones) and we couldn't find turkey necks so I got chicken necks -- he's gotten 2 so far (raw and frozen). Are they ok to give??

I know a lot of you have picky eaters and this behavior wouldn't even cause you to think twice, but it is very unusual for Larry. And it is bringing me flashbacks of Nube's last days so that is not helping either.

any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Kim, take a deep breath. Good. Take another if you need it I know how scary this must feel but Larry may just be out of his comfort zone while on holiday. It's not unusual for our Ben not to eat or not eat all of his food when we are away. Ben is not going to starve himself and it's unlikely Larry will either, especially since he's not showing any other signs of illness.

I'd be more concerned if I was at home, but not on vacation where the routine changes a lot. If you're stressed because of the reminders of Nube's illness, he may be picking up those vibes.

btw, I feed chicken necks, some GTers claim they are a choking hazard but Ben and Brooke love them and chow down without problems.

Relax and enjoy your vacation...it will be ok.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Kim,

I agree with Jan. Larry's been through a lot of change lately, and this "move" (he doesn't know it's just vacation :) ), he could be just taking some time to adjust to it all.

I do hope he starts eating better for you soon, though!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Kim,

I had the same problem with Ms. Gracie when we traveled anywhere. She would not eat. Give it some time and go to Mcd's for a double burger. :lol

Kim,

I am sure that he is ok and just shook up from traveling.

we've traveled with him several times before, including this exact same trip to the same house at the same time last year. The only difference is this is the first trip without Nube with (the GPA-WI Gala would have been the first if we had stayed overnight but we did not) but I can't see that making a difference, he's been eating ok at home just fine up until the last week. On every other trip he (and Nube) ate like champs, ate 100% normally the entire time. :dunno

Bruce fed him this morning instead of me, and said he was hesitant at first but then ate the whole bowl (slowly) as long as he stood right in the room with him. Same thing for dinner last night, said he stopped eating and came by the kitchen the 2 times Bruce left the room and went into the kitchen. He finished his dinner when Bruce stood there, like this morning.

this is just bizarre for Larry!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Maybe he doesn't need to rush anymore. There is no perceived threat that someone else may want his food, which appears to be a little different than at home - different brands and schedule. Plus, being away from home without his buddy is different regardless if he had been there before. My pack has changed four times in less than 5 months. Each time, I had things that altered while they adjusted. If he continues to be off after you return home and get back into your routine, then I would take him in for peace of mind.

I am sorry that you are worrying (I truly understand why, though) instead of being able to fully relax and enjoy the vacation you both so deserve.

Hugs to you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest sirsmom

I would just sit with him while he eats til he gets acclimated again. I've had a couple of dogs over the years that would walk away from their food every meal unless I was sitting in a chair next to them.

Bruce fed him this morning instead of me, and said he was hesitant at first but then ate the whole bowl (slowly) as long as he stood right in the room with him. Same thing for dinner last night, said he stopped eating and came by the kitchen the 2 times Bruce left the room and went into the kitchen. He finished his dinner when Bruce stood there, like this morning.

this is just bizarre for Larry!

Kim, this is the way Nadir acts when he's not feeling well. He'll get snarky with the others and only eat if I'm there to stand watch over him. If I leave he will come and get me. I think he feels vulnerable when he's not feeling well. Maybe Larry is feeling vulnerable without Nube and just needs time to adjust and gain confidence in his absence.

Edited by 4My2Greys