Scab...? Pictures Included...

Guest bernadette

Guest bernadette

Hi all,

I just noticed this on Vinnie's leg, left front and on the back. It looks like maybe it could be a scab, really not sure. He didn't mind me playing with it so I tried to see how attached it was, if any of it would pick off like a scab and it began to bleed (he still didn't open his eyes) so I stopped. Any thoughts?

Vinnie1.jpg

Vinnie2.jpg

Vinnie3.jpg

Guest grey_dreams

It could be either a hemangioma or a melanoma. They will both bleed. Zuki used to get hemangiomas, but they were smaller than the one on your boy. Zariel just had a melanoma and it had to be surgically removed and was malignant, but the prognosis is excellent with clean margins and a clear chest x-ray and abdominal ultrasound. Best is to get him in to the vet for an examination.

Guest jaws4evr

Our cat had a melanoma that looked exactly like that, that bled when it was picked at. It was malignant, but like grey_dreams experience they removed it and it had clear margins, and he's been cancer free for 4 years!

Could also be just a scab though, so hard to tell without exam.

Guest grey_dreams

I found two more, flat ones, on his front legs. Smaller, and more flat. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone. :) Happy Thanksgiving!!

Time to make that appointment with the vet.

Paul has a large one like that right now on his chest. Brandy used to get them on her chest all the time. I don't bother with them, so I am curious now what your diagnosis will be.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest bernadette

I will be calling the vet tomorrow. The biggest one (in the picture) seemed to grow in size overnight. There are two more spots on his other leg.. flat and dar in color although not as dark as this one. One is more reddish. There is another spot on his boy parts... he didn't appreciate me handling it, I tried a warm/wet paper towel...

The biggest one has me concerned as it is quite scabbish and will bleed but you can see how it has grown from the skin at the edges. After the first day I posted, it was smaller from me picking at it... and was large again seemingly overnight. :(

My boy is nine. Not symptomatic at all (aside from his suspected LS, which we are 'controlling' with Tramadol and Gabapentin).

THanks all, for your input.

Ian has at least a couple of these on his body at all times. Our vet isn't usually concerned about the black, scabby looking ones. He is concerned when the red blood blisters appear. He always removes them if they are in a safe place to do so (i.e. not crossing a vein) and sends them to pathology. So far, we haven't had any bad reports-just benign hemangiomas. I hope all goes well!

ETA-Ian has had these for as long as we have had him-about 3 years. Our vet is very greyhound savvy. I hope this helps a little.

Edited by IansMom

Lisa & Chris with Bella and Little Petey

~Our sweet Ian forever in our hearts~

I will be calling the vet tomorrow. The biggest one (in the picture) seemed to grow in size overnight.

Oh, definitely time for a vet visit. Growing like that is one of the things my vet said was a sign we needed to biopsy, no playing around. Your description of the looks of these various spots could apply to my boys various hemangiomas. None, however, have grown that way nor have they lasted more than 10 days. They disappear completely & then new spots reappear. I am appear that anytime one of this appear it could turn out to be something other than a hemangioma. Always something to watch & keep track of. (Though I confess I am not doing a good job of tracking these over time.)

Good luck. Try not to worry. Hopefully these benign things like hemangiomas. Definitely I would insist of a biopsy.

Guest grey_dreams

I will be calling the vet tomorrow. The biggest one (in the picture) seemed to grow in size overnight. There are two more spots on his other leg.. flat and dar in color although not as dark as this one. One is more reddish. There is another spot on his boy parts... he didn't appreciate me handling it, I tried a warm/wet paper towel...

The biggest one has me concerned as it is quite scabbish and will bleed but you can see how it has grown from the skin at the edges. After the first day I posted, it was smaller from me picking at it... and was large again seemingly overnight. :(

My boy is nine. Not symptomatic at all (aside from his suspected LS, which we are 'controlling' with Tramadol and Gabapentin).

THanks all, for your input.

Zariel's malignant melanoma popped up and was growing fast in just a matter of about 1-2 weeks. I'm glad that you are going to the vet.