Confused About Food - Specifically Brewers Yeast

Guest gomiesmom

Guest gomiesmom

I am now Oficially Confused, about dog food for my hounds.

I know I want the best for my hounds, and I know I am not feeding it, after reading a review webiset.

I chose Purina ProPlan, after the china additive /recall disaster, as my logic was it's a national brand, and I'll certainly hear about any safety issues.

I was/am looking a Nutrisource, but it has Brewers yeast, and there are mixed opinions on Yeast linked to Bloat.

Any thoughts?

I have no local retailer that sells Orijin, and I've heard that is good. How about EVO or Blu Buffalo.

My guys are not doing bad on the Purina, but I want a better food for them.

Currently we have no health issues, but are watching platletts in my little girl. Don't think it's an issue, but are re-checking in about 2 weeks.

Thank you.

If you have no local source for a food you want order from Wag.com. They offer 2 day shipping on orders which is free if the order is over $50. I've ordered a few times from them and been very satisfied with their service. I'm not sure if they are still doing it, but Champion Foods makers of Orijen and Acana had a program where you collect Proofs of Purchase and receipts from 10 bags and then get 1 free.

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by 4My2Greys

You can find a website that will diss any food out there. If they're doing well on the Purina, I'd keep them on it. Over the years, dogs in my care have done better on Purina ONE/ProPlan than on any of the other foods you mentioned.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Batmom is right, if your dogs are doing well on their current food, I'd keep them on it. Changing foods can open a bit can of worms. You will find sites everywhere that will tell you what foods are bad and depending on the site the foods change.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Carstel

Doggiefood.com also offers free shipping on orders of $50. They have Acana and Orijen (Chicken variety of Acana is $48), along with Earthborn Holistic, a great food that I love. They're great people. They often throw in samples and small bags of other things, and I always get the food in 2 days (RI to DE).

My guys are not doing bad on the Purina, but I want a better food for them.

Quit chasing that brass ring about 8 or 10 years ago. My Rex had terrible colitis issues and the better food for him was Iams which those 'in the know" think is total garbage. They could think what they want, but it was the only thing that worked for him.

Right now they are eating Purina One weight management because that's what Buddy came with and all are doing great on it. It's low fat enough Poodle can eat it and his glucose #s are absolutely perfect. It's nice to feed the same food to everyone.

I often point out that in my experience, the true dog men and women of the world by and large feed Purina products. Before it was discontinued the majority of racing kennels fed Purina Hi-Pro. My friends father and lots of people that raise expensive gun dogs feed Purina One or Pro Plan, as do many AKC show people. They do it because they go by what they see in their dogs, not what some self proclaimed experts write on the internet.

Better is what works for your dog. I'm with Judy and Jey. Jumping on the "no corn, no wheat, no soy, human grade ingredients, a blueberry in every bag" marketing bandwagon cam backfire on you.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

feed what you can easily find and what your dogs do well on. just don't tell anyone if you are worried about their comments. if you are really concerned check out the local feed store- large animal, they quite often have kibble, check out what your vet carries. KISS,(keep it simple s......)

in other words, BUY LOCAL and keep your local retailer in business

Guest gomiesmom

Thanks everyone!

Still thinking, but now not as nervous about feeding a ProPaln dinner to my guys tonight.

My guys are indeed doing fine on the ProPlan, and as you all guessed, I was getting caught up in a lot of that stuff...... for lack of a better word. It is tryly a movement, with the natural, organic, human grade, etc. and I just want my hounds in the best health for the longest amount of time possible, you all know what I mean, as I am sure you are that way as well.

The ProPlan has been good with my guys, although sometimes when I open a bag and it's kinda "crumby", I wonder, and when my more finicky male smells it before he eats it, I wonder what he can smell in there...

I guess that would be with all processes though.... Who knows...

Just like all those poor people recently w/ the steroid shots, now some have menengitis & a good many are monitoring their situation. We never know, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...