Violet Peeing On Food Rugs

So on Friday I went to let Violet out of the crate in the bedroom where she had been working on her lamb neck to discover she had peed in the crate after she finished eating. She hadn't been out recently so I chalked it up to her just really needing to go, but I also had in the back of my head that she had peed a larger than normal volume on our first trip out that morning and was drinking a lot of water that day and thought I might take a urine sample in today when I took Skye to the vet.

Since then though there haven't been any issues so I didn't take a sample. Then this evening I walked the dogs - it was raining so we didn't walk as long as we might have otherwise, but she peed twice I think - and then shortly after fed them. Tonight I fed her out on the deck, which I do with Zuri pretty often and Violet occasionally. She had barely finished when I went to let her in and lo and behold there was pee on the rug I had fed her on.

Could this be a resource guarding behavior or does it seem medical? She does resource guard, but I almost always keep Skye crated until Violet is done so she can eat in peace and Zuri doesn't go near her when she's eating. I'm thinking I need to get the urine sample in regardless since this is a new behavior and just rule it out - really annoyed with myself for not just doing that this afternoon, but wanted to see what you guys thought. I just find it odd that she's doing it where she's eating after she's done eating. :unsure Has anyone else had their dog do this?

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Zoe had a lot of guarding issues when we brought her home over 6 (!) years ago. Most have since disappeared, but she will still periodically pee next to her bowl (they are raw feed from raised bowls outside) after she is done. Maverick is a total food hog and will inspect everyone places after finishing. I thought she was just letting him know that was her area. They are also always fed in the same spot so it isn't like hers has been moved in years. (He isn't allowed to sniff any other bowls until after the owner is done and has walked away)

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Are you positive it's urine and not slobber? George makes some massive wet spots on his bed when he's working on a bone.

Yes I'm sure. :rolleyes:

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Brooke did this for awhile...she peed on a mat by the door so i thought she needed to go our more often than usual. We took her to our vet but she didn't have any medical issues.

I bought some puppy pads and put them on the mat. She never peed on it again. My guess is that this was becoming a habit but when I took away her pee spot, she stopped doing it immediately and I've never had any problems with peeing in the house again. It might be worth a try with Violet.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest PiagetsMom

Not exactly the same, but the only time Maya has ever peed in the house was after the pups had a bully stick. The pups chew in different rooms, and she went right to where Mirage had chewed his bully stick and peed on the carpet. I decided to put down a quilt for Mirage to lay on to chew his bully stick, and I immediately pick it up after he's through, and she's never done it since. She was obviously marking, but I don't know if she'd do it for something other than a bully stick. :dunno I feed from raised feeders, and neither pup takes food or treats elsewhere.

HA! The first time I gave Kiaba a turkey neck he brought it into the LR and peed on it! The only time he peed in the house. I guess he claimed it. I rinsed it off and he happily ate it in his crate. Never did it again.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org