Homemade Food

Guest scleach

Guest scleach

Have any of yall made homemade dog food before? I have a 10 yr old greyhound who has recently had all of her top teeth pulled so she can no longer eat her kibble. So I am having to put her on a wet food but I haven't been happy with the results I have gotten. She's been losing weight etc the only kind that she hasn't done this with was costing $500 a month to feed and that just isn't an option anymore. So I was hoping to possibly just put her on a homemade dog food of some sort but I don't want her to miss any of the nutrients she needs. Any suggestions would be awesome!

She's been losing weight etc the only kind that she hasn't done this with was costing $500 a month to feed and that just isn't an option anymore.

:eek $500 a month?????

Poodle just had 4 upper teeth pulled, but that is a long way from ALL uppers (which seems sort of wierd) and the vet told me to to just soak his kibble and mix in wet.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest 2dogs4cats

I have made different homemade dog foods before for certain health conditions. What was the food that worked or why doesn't other food work? Is there a specific health condition?

Guest tricolorhounds

My 12+ year old Savannah just had her remaining molars removed... she had horrible teeth when we adopted her and they just continued to get worse over time. She only has her 4 canines and the 6 little upper front teeth.

That being said, she eats just fine. She scarfs 2+ cups of Iams mini-chunks, some Merrick canned food, a little parmesan cheese and water just fine.

I have had to find soft treats as she can no longer crunch the Costco dog cookies everyone eats.

We also feed our nearly toothless senior hound kibble soaked in water to a mushy consistency. Some kibble brands will soften enough within 30-45 minutes. (Room temperature for that length of time is okay.) Other kibble brands take longer to soften, so we prepare our hound's breakfast bowl the night before, store it in the refrigerator, then warm to lukewarm temperature in the microwave before serving. Dinner is prepped at breakfast time (same routine). Good quality kibble usually offers higher calories per cup than many canned foods so that should help keep healthy weight. (Example: Our kibble is 500+ calories per cup.) (Healthy Greyhound weight is usually being able to see last 2 ribs.)

Brushing their remaining teeth daily becomes even more important when eating any type of wet food. We use CET pet toothpaste. (Poultry flavor is all our hounds' favorite.) If I'm too tired to brush hounds' teeth one night, I squirt CET Oral Hygiene Rinse on hounds' teeth to inhibit plaque and calculus build-up (which otherwise begins building within 24 hours). Helps breath too.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Here is a great resource to peruse: http://www.dogaware.com/diet/homemade.html Dogaware.com

I'm a raw feeder so I feed home prepared, just not cooked. Really easy once you get a routine going.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

There's really no reason your dog can't eat kibble.

George doesn't EVER chew his kibble--not even for a second. I had a cat loose 16 teeth in one shot, and he was eating regular cat food the next day.

Unless there is some other medical condition, I think what you were told was just plain silly. Soak the kibble and see what happens.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest tricolorhounds

I don't even think you need to soak the kibble to mushy consistancy... I put warm water in the bowl just seconds before I serve it... seems to help the ones who gulp too fast from getting dry kibble stuck in their throats and coughing it back up. Like I said, Savannah has no teeth to aid in eating and manages to eat her meals with ease.

I agree with everyone else. I have a girl who has very few teeth left and she eats her kibble with water added right before serving. Another one who has all her teeth never bothers to chew . . . just gulp and swollow.

I agree that many hounds are gulpers; however, some hounds are kibble chewers. If chewers are toothless (or feeling gum pain from tooth infection) they often refuse kibble meals if not soft enough.

BTW, our nearly toothless senior hound mentioned in previous post also has laryngeal paralysis requiring softened kibble, but periodically we need to soften kibble for our other hounds too.

(New readers: Gum/tooth infection requires veterinary care ASAP to eliminate infection, pain, and to prevent dangerous bacteria from invading other body organs that can shorten hound's lifespan. Refusing food can be a sign of gum discomfort, as well as many other reasons.)

I agree...you can probably get by with wetting the kibble a bit or adding extras with moisture to soften it. If you WANT to make homemade food though, I personally like Lew Olson's natural nutrition book. It is an easy read, and has easy recipes plans. It has 3 recipe sections (raw, cooked, and kibble add-ins, plus recipes for various health problems) which can be nice if you aren't sure what to do. Monica Segal also has great diets, but her recipes can get pretty involved.

I hate cooking for humans let alone dogs :hehe unfortunately no one will cook for me so it is up to me to do the job. My boy is vry fussy and I make extra mashed potato and mix the left over in with the kibble. I found a great pet food store that sells pet mince cooked and uncooked at a reasonable price. In her cooked mince pack it actually has kibble mixed in with it, I assume she cooks meat then mixes it with kibble and the dogs love it. My grey simply refuses to eat kibble alone.

Edited by kess