Victoria Won't Eat

Guest 18tjettagrl

Guest 18tjettagrl

I'm not sure what happened but I came home around 5 after my dad had come over to let her out at 12pm. She had pooped in her crate which I assumed for a day or two she was constipated because of the little bitty droppings. I cleaned her crate, washed her off and then started dinner. I had noticed she hadn't eaten her food from that morning. She drank a little but still no eat.

I did take her for a walk and she acted normal as in excited and ears perked for vermin. Got home no eat. She layed on the couch for a few then started panting and got off the couch. Then came the vomit of yellow and could tell it was bile. She still refuses to eat but we got a little peanut butter down her.

What can I do? Wait for her to eat? I don't want her to get sicker from being hungry. I have no clue what caused this except for maybe her in her crate with poo and trama.

Suggestions? I've had dogs but this is my first Greyhound so I want to make sure I do everything right and what is best for her.

Try some white bread or a roll or some toast broken up in the bowl to get something in her stomach. If that doesn't work, you might need to try some bland food like boiled chicken breast and rice for a few days.

Once in a while Rocket will vomit bile when his tummy is empty. Hasn't haapened in a while now, but i usually try to give him just about anything he likes to get some food in his stomach, even if it's treats or a cookie. Bile is usually an indication that he tummy is empty.

If she's not drinking enough, you can try putting some chicken broth in the water to coax her to drink. Dehydration is a bigger threat than not eating for a day or so.

How old is she? How long have you had her? Listing any past medical issues may help get a few more answers.

Sometimes just getting a little someting into an empty tummy will help jumpstart them back to eating.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I would niot give peanut butter-too much fat-would not want to make whatever it is worse. If its pancreatitis that would be the worse thing you could do. I would probably be calling my vet to get their opinion. IMO it always pays to be proactive and nip things in the bud if you can before they deteriorate to a much worse state. Hope she is feeling better this morning. Greyhounds tend to have sensitive stomachs so it may take you awhile to find out the magic combination of food etc. that keeps her at her best. When you do- consider yourself blessed and don't change it!

Guest 18tjettagrl

Thank you so much! She just turned 3 in July and being a new mommy again I kind of stressful. I lost my beagle/Bassett 5 days before Victoria turned 3 this year. She's been wonderful.

Chicken and a piece of bread did the trick this morning around 4am. She slept in her crate and I slept on the doggie pillow next to her just in case. Yes call me super worried. I read your post and at 4:30 I was boiling chicken. Hand fed her and after a couple looks from her of "I don't know about this mom" she started eating, not scarfing it but eating normal. Whew! I got up after that and was going to make toast and here she comes, so bread she got. 😊 Thank you again!!

Update to post that didn't apparently post this morning: Had her since June (3yr old as of July)and same routine. I just got home and all her normal food is gone and she's run around the yard so much she's made me tired. she has only messed in her crate one other time and that was because we were away during a thunderstorm and it seemed to shake her pretty bad. However seems back to business as normal today. She only gets peanut butter max 2 times a week. Once in the middle if the week and once on Sundays. Yesterday I was just trying anything to get her to eat and she went for that but the chicken she seemed to really love. I'm not sure what caused all if it but will call the vet anyway to see if he thinks I should bring her in.

Edited by 18tjettagrl

Glad she's feeling better. You've only had her 3 months. You are both still adjusting. Take a deep breath and relax. A call to the vet is good so that you get a medical opinion. But she could have been just under the weather. Were you having storms the day she didn't eat? She might be a thunderphobe. They stress a LOT during storms and may not eat.

Guest 18tjettagrl

No storms yesterday just plain constipation finally got unstopped yesterday. I could tell she was from our walks the days before. She is terrified of thunder or anything loud. There has only been one time she has been alone in a storm and that was the night we walked into a mess haha. Thank you though for telling me deep breath and relax because I'm so nervous about not doing something right and you are correct we are still adjusting but I have loved every minute of it. She's such a joy and we are so half we are her forever home. She's quite the comedian as well. Cat is still not to sure what to think of her. Lol