Collar Question

Guest FreeholdHound

Guest FreeholdHound

I use a standard martingale collar & remove it when Harry gets crated at night. I have ordered an I D collar that will stay on him 24/7 from Daveengraves but due to a computer problem that may take a while to arrive. My mother (84 yrs old) doesn't feel sure enough to adjust Harry's collar on/off for their afternoon potty breaks so I am debating ordering a martingale w/a buckle to make that easier. Does anyone use these? Harry is wonderful on his leash & actually slows down for my mom when she walks him around, but does the buckle make the collars less reliable?

I take Beth's martingale on and off without changing the adjustment -- there's a fitting where it's tight enough to wear but loose enough to be removed and put on. There are even some martingales that are sized for your hound and then have no sliders for adjustment at all.

No experience with buckle martingales to comment.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest RoxyRed21

I've always been a little hesitant of the buckle collars because a friends lab got loose because the buckle failed (it was a cheaper collar tho). I agree with PrairieProf, I slip Roxies collar off at night when we get home from out walk and slip it back on in the morning. It's just loose enough to slip over her head, but it's tight enough to keep her secure incase something were to happen.

I had a foster with a really bad skin infection on his neck and got a buckle martingale from NancyB. It was wonderful. I was able to put it on and off without irritating him. It was very secure and I never had any issues. His new home used it for well over a year and never had a problem.

I have a couple of leather collars from longdogleatherworks.com. They are beautiful. You can get the martingale collar with the buckle - which I have - and have had no problem at all with them. I still slip the collar over my grey's head, but I have the option.

I'll admit I have more than a few collars, but these are my usual 'go to' collars.

if you go w/ a buckels martingale go w/ the 1" width, the wider collars have buckles that are just too big for their delicate skin. how about an fishtail collar. http://www.muzzlesfo...nd-collars.html

they don't slip off, the standard in europe. i have a couple(from assorted countries so the style varies- gifts from friend's travels), excellent collars. i have dealt w/ this vendor, he made up nice light weight kennel muzzles that my daughter picked up during her travels this summer.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest undergreysspell

I use a martingale with buckle and love it ! It is so nice to be able to take the collar of easily when she's in the crate. I ordered a couple of different prints so she can always match one of her bandanas . The buckle makes it so easy . I also have a clip for the tags so they can be changed over easily too. The 3/4" is perfect for my small girl. They're more expensive but I love them. Cozycritter.com makes really nice ones and has lots of materials to choose from.

Guest iMrCrumbs

I have the 2 inch martingale for Dillon and i have it adjusted just right. i have no problems taking it off and on after we go outside. His ID collar is rolled leather and stays on him 24/7...

I have a couple of leather collars from longdogleatherworks.com. They are beautiful. You can get the martingale collar with the buckle - which I have - and have had no problem at all with them. I still slip the collar over my grey's head, but I have the option.

I'll admit I have more than a few collars, but these are my usual 'go to' collars.

My dogs all wear LDL and one of the main reasons we use them is for the buckle option. The incredibly long life of the collars and the fact that they donate to OSU is an added bonus.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

You could just leave the martingale on all the time. It is a hot topic here, but there are those of us that do leave a martingale on 24/7 and things are fine.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I make buckle martingales, they are great if you need to remove their collars without going over their head for any reason. We use them at lure coursing so we can get their slip collars on without having to take off their muzzles (the less I have to do when they are up next in line, the better!) They are also great for LGRA, you can just unsnap them and pop them in the starting box.

I like the 1.5" buckle for greyhounds; I use a quality buckle that has a slight curve for comfort, and I inspect the buckles and remove any small plastic burrs that the manufacturer might have missed (it happens) so everything's smooth. For dogs who need a little more control, 1" is recommended.