Not Eating His Kibble.

Guest Beernardo

Guest Beernardo

Hello everybody.

I've had my Galgo Stannis for over two months now and after some ups and downs and with the help of Joyce we finally solved Stannis runny poo problem.

After the fasting and a white rice+cottage cheese we transitioned him into eating Costco's Lamb and Rice kibble and he was loving it, no farts (maybe one a day), finishing his bowl without looking away and cleaning it every time and really looking forward to feeding time jumping and moving his tail. But at some point after going through more than half of the bag, he started again with runny poo, so I decided to try the magical "Iams green bag" solution after reading how many other greyhound owners have solved the runny poo issues even after trying grain free and some other of the best quality kibble out there, and he was liking the combination of half costco half iams, but he stopped being that enthusiastic about it after eating all of my double egg sandwich (my entire breakfast) when I left it unattended for a while, and he did this just 1 hour after his 3 cups breakfast, ever since that day hes not that interested in kibble anymore and today he only ate half a cup in the morning.

I've tried giving him the kibble dry, soaked in water, with little water, and nothing works. From day 1 we gave him his kibble really wet like a cereal, but about 3 weeks ago we managed to teach him to chew his kibble so he could have better teeth and he was doing it without a problem.

I had him neutered 1 week ago, so we haven't taken him out on walks yet and we have to wait about 3 or 4 more days until we can do it again. I don't know if that has something to do with it.

He had tape worm and we gave him drontal about a month ago, perhaps is time for a second dose?

Somebody also told me that their dogs don't eat when it is to hot, is that the case with some greyhounds too? (I live in Tijuana Mexico, which is right at the border with San Diego CA, we've had a good heat wave this last few weeks)

Any advice? should I just give him time until he figures he's not eating egg sandwiches for breakfast anymore?

Edited by Beernardo

How's his poop? If it's runny or has a mucus type coating on it (I can't describe it any better than that) it's time to do another poop sample. When Mason stops eating it means his worms are back. We've done 3 rounds of Strongid. It finally took 2 doses of Panacur to get rid of his worms. Now he's happy, healthy and back to his goal weight of 90+ pounds! :)

The other thing is that sometimes when they're on rice or yummy table food for too long they get used to it and then the kibble isn't interesting.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

I don't know if your up to trying something different, but I want to share my experience with a food I found lately. Because of some health issues with Nadir I've had to do a LOT of switching foods trying to find something that his bladder wouldn't react to. I found a food that unbelievably produces bowel movements like that of a raw fed dog. It's California Natural Grain-free Venison Meal formula. I have 3 greys on it and have never aside from when I fed raw had all 3 to have good poops on the same kibble. Up to trying this Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream was the best, but Chase had bowel movements the size a horse would do and I'm not exaggerating. All 3 enthusiastically eat this food and their poop is actually formed little turds that have no odor and dry up within a day if I don't clean up the yard. Beanie pooped in the house while I was at work and I didn't even realize she had done it until after I had fed them and went to sit down and saw it in the hallway. There was no smell at all to let me know what she had done. It had also dried up to the point of crumbling and I was able to sweep it up with a broom and dustpan.

Guest Beernardo

I'm going to throw a party when I can sweep the stools with a broom. I guess they all react different to each kibble, I hope I can find the one for him soon. How much time did you waited after a change before moving on the next kibble?

Usually Drontal Plus does a great job in one dose. Given the amount of time, I would have another stool sample checked and see if you are dealing with some other type of worm or parasite that requires a different de-wormer.

Worms have been persistent this year in many locations, so I wouldn't rule them out just because he had a recent treatment. We've been through 3 rounds of Panacur and a dose of Drontal Plus due to worms this year. We never did have a positive fecal test for any worms, but after ruling every other possibility out, de-worming is what ultimately worked, along with some bland food for a week and Flagyl to heal the stomach before starting back to the regular food.

Hope your pup is feeling better soon.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

This is 3 greys in the same house on the same food all with great poops. If a food started causing Nadir a problem I would switch him immediately to something else and let the other 2 finish up what was left of the bag. Since the beginning of this year I have gone through the following foods, Blue Buffalo Grain-free Chicken, Blue Buffalo Basics grain-free Turkey and Potato, Nature's Recipe grain-free Chicken, Sweet Potato and Pumpkin, Nutro Natural Choice Grain-free Lamb & Potato and Turkey & Potato, Nutrisca Lamb and Chickpea, Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Turkey, Pure Vita Grain-free Turkey/ Bison & Sweet Potato/ Duck and Oatmeal, and Honest Kitchen, which is a very high quality food, but unbelievably expensive. I'll probably think of a few more I've gone through. I had to switch Nadir if a food caused him problems, the other 2 I would also switch if they did good on the new food, but would feed them what they had been eating if not. We are on the 2nd large bag of the California Natural Venison and hopefully Nadir's bladder will be okay with this food.

Guest Beernardo

So it looks like I'll have to keep looking for the right kibble for him. He just ate 2.5 cups minutes ago but he paused for 4 times walking away and coming back immediately, let's see how he does tomorrow. He has me all confused about how he likes it, dry, barely wet, super wet almost like a soft food consistency, etc.

Guest Beernardo

How's his poop? If it's runny or has a mucus type coating on it (I can't describe it any better than that) it's time to do another poop sample. When Mason stops eating it means his worms are back. We've done 3 rounds of Strongid. It finally took 2 doses of Panacur to get rid of his worms. Now he's happy, healthy and back to his goal weight of 90+ pounds! :)

The other thing is that sometimes when they're on rice or yummy table food for too long they get used to it and then the kibble isn't interesting.

Good luck. I hope it works out.

His poop was runny this morning but it was getting better after adding iams, we went from runny (costco alone) to ice cream consistency (costco+iams), it doesn't shows any mucus kind of coating, it looks kind of grainy.

sounds like there is something else going on besides possibly worms. when one of my dogs had giardia he too would stop eating due to cramps, then resume. inconsitant stool, on and off eating habbits. maybe a round or two of flagyl will help- could be giardia or another bacteria/protozan in the gut, that's a standard practice around here. generally, unless there is an intolerance to an ingredient, i have found flagyl to be a dog's best friend. i would stick w/ plain old white rice-80% and 20% protien until things get straighten out and you talk to your vet. then once he's cleaned up-intestinally- slowly reintroduce food. often it's more than one round of flagyl to clean up a gut.

Guest Beernardo

We are doing a blood test this Saturday, let's see what comes out of it. Today he ate with a little more enthusiasm than yesterday. I had to add a decent amount of water though, he turned his head to the dry kibble