Muzzles During The Day While At Work?

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest dmgaudre

Hi all,

We are bringing home Algy and Lucy in ONE week and I'm super excited! I've been reading a lot about muzzles and was wondering if any of you are away at work all day (9 hours) and leave your dogs muzzled. We have a doggie door so they can go in and out of the house into the backyard. Should I be leaving them muzzled? It seems like a long time to me... :-(

Also, I read something about removing their collars when they are home alone because of the choking hazard. I should be doing this as well?

I am a bit of a worry wort...but I want them to be safe and happy! :-)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine are muzzled when I am not home. They can drink water and eat just fine with them on. They can also play with stuffies with them on.

I don't have a dog door and never will.

Mine wear leather ID collars on 24/7. I personally think if you use a dog door, they need ID tags on them in case they get loose.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Congrats on your new additions! I have three boys and they are muzzled whenever I am not home. Luckily I live close to my work so I'm able to come home at lunch each day and let them out. I don't have a doggie door and would be scared to have mine going in and out without me there. I'd be afraid they would get injured or get their muzzle or collar hung up on something and I wouldn't be there to prevent it.

For collars, in the house I use a leather collar from Dave Engraves that has the dogs name, my address and phone number on it. When we go out they wear their martingales which have their tags on it.

Guest dmgaudre

Thank you guys! Ok, muzzles it is. I know they say it's not cruel, but it just doesn't sound like much fun to me. :-(

Thanks for the info on the leather collar. I'll have to check that out!

Guest dmgaudre

I really wish I could stay home with them during the day. I would love a work from home job or a job that allows me to bring them with me. But I don't think a large law firm would be very welcoming to four legged clients... :hehe

Guest Wasserbuffel
Thank you guys! Ok, muzzles it is. I know they say it's not cruel, but it just doesn't sound like much fun to me. :-(

We make dogs wear collars all the time, and nobody thinks it's cruel. A muzzle is just the same, it's something we put on them to wear for their safety.

I really wish I could stay home with them during the day. I would love a work from home job or a job that allows me to bring them with me. But I don't think a large law firm would be very welcoming to four legged clients... :hehe

It might be a better world if they did :)

BTW: I just saw pics of your kids! I haven't met them yet, but they sure are cute! And they're so lucky to have found you :yay

I'm home a lot and my two have been together a year now without a problem, and we have brought in several fosters too. I am very careful when first introducing them to gauge their reactions about toys, space, food, etc. When I do leave them, I do not muzzle them - but it is for much shorter periods than you'll have to leave yours. Perhaps it would be wise for you to muzzle them for a while and see how things go.

All of my fence gates are padlocked - that might be something for you to consider too. :guns

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest dmgaudre

It might be a better world if they did :)

Isn't that the truth!!!

BTW: I just saw pics of your kids! I haven't met them yet, but they sure are cute! And they're so lucky to have found you :yay

Thank you, but I think we are the lucky ones! I just can't wait until we can get them home and give them tons of love!!!

I'm home a lot and my two have been together a year now without a problem, and we have brought in several fosters too. I am very careful when first introducing them to gauge their reactions about toys, space, food, etc. When I do leave them, I do not muzzle them - but it is for much shorter periods than you'll have to leave yours. Perhaps it would be wise for you to muzzle them for a while and see how things go.

All of my fence gates are padlocked - that might be something for you to consider too. :guns

Ohhh, thank you for reminding me! I had thought about that and I'll be certainly getting a padlock for our gate!

I kind of thought I would just see how it goes and if they do well maybe not muzzle them after a while, but then I see posts on here about dogs playing and stitches being needed! I'm so nervous about that!

Edited by dmgaudre

Thanks for the info on the leather collar. I'll have to check that out!

This is where I got mine

http://www.daveengraves.com/daveengraves_020.htm

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Also, pick up a couple of carabiners (they are a buck at Walmart) and attach their collar and leash for another safety measure.

418699_10150964126812583_1435960944_n.jpg

I think people who crate don't leave collars on. The d-ring can get stuck on the wire of the crate.

Also, make sure you attach their tags to the side of their collar and not the d-ring.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Just to clarify - the martingale collar should never be left on when the hounds are unattended. There is a strangulation hazard, not a choking hazard. i have seen one get caught on something as simple as a kitchen cabinet knob - so even though you may think there is nothing in the house to get caught on, it really doesn't take much. The one time you decide to leave the martingale on is the time they will find that thing to get caught on.

We use an embroidered breakaway tag collar that is on 24/7. If excess pressure is put on the collar from getting caught, it will pull apart at the breakaway clasp. I would rather have a dog on the loose without tags that find him strangled on a fence or tree branch. The tag collar really comes down to personal prefence as to style, breakway or not etc. I don't think there is one perfect answer other than what works for you and your hound. We also have Rocket microchipped, so if he got lost and would be found without tags, hopefully he would be scanned for a chip at some point.

Congratulations on your new pups!

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I would definitely muzzle them both while you are away. They will both be new and having a dog door they will be able to go outside and play and it only takes a split second for one of them to get a little too rough with the other one and someone gets hurt. Muzzles will definitely protect them both and keep your vet bills down.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

You know they are pretty used to wearing a muzzle when you get them. They would rather not wear them, of course - but it would be a good thing in the beginning until you see how they react in your house. The problem is once you stop using the muzzle - they really don't want to start again. It is not cruel - it is for their protection and your properties protection. After a 2-3 weeks, I stopped using the muzzle when I went to work, it does help to video them while you are gone to see how calm they are when you are not there.

Guest dmgaudre

Wow! Thank you everyone for all of the great advice!

I do like the idea of the breakaway collar and was thinking that would probably be safer. Luckily, all the greyhounds adopted through our local group are microchipped before going to their news homes, so we've got that covered!

Will definitely video them! Great idea!!!

Guest poofmagk

We also decided to use breakaway collars in the house & muzzle when we are gone. They were fine with the muzzles on for 9hrs when we both worked. Martingales just go on for walks- Zafira has gotten to the point where she patiently sticks her head between my legs and waits when its walk time because it takes a minute to put it on- haha.

I always muzzle mine when they are new, or we have a foster, but now that it's just the three, I don't muzzle anymore. I am home most of the time now, but it was the same when I worked. Yes, there is a risk they could play rough and get hurt, you will just have to decide what you want to do. I also have a dog door (love it!), but all gates are padlocked at all times. If I need to have the gate open, the dogs go inside with the dog door closed. That's MY paranoia :lol

I tried the break away collars and they worked too well, Fletcher's kept coming off. After Sallie (aka Goat Girl) ate two of them, I switched to velvet tag collars with no jingle tags, like this http://www.2houndsdesign.com/Tag-Collars-c-23.html There are a lot of different options, I am sure you will find what works best for you :)

Guest dmgaudre

We also decided to use breakaway collars in the house & muzzle when we are gone. They were fine with the muzzles on for 9hrs when we both worked. Martingales just go on for walks- Zafira has gotten to the point where she patiently sticks her head between my legs and waits when its walk time because it takes a minute to put it on- haha.

How cute!!!

The only time I use muzzles on my two is when I take them to the vet or to the groomer. We usually don't leave the hounds alone in the house for more than 4 hours (my husband works out of our home) and we have never come back to an injured dog, or any sort of damage or accidents. That said, I wish I had used the muzzles once in awhile so that they didn't dislike wearing them when I do use them.

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)