Muzzles During The Day While At Work?

Guest lovnmygreys

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dmgaudre

Ok, we made sure they were on as tight as they could go while still being comfortable. Came home to this. We are gone all day at work, I don't want to have to crate them, but what are my options?!

f165cbed.jpg

Guest iMrCrumbs

I don't muzzle Dillon at all. HOWEVER when he sees his muzzle (like when I am cleaning or whatever the case may be) he gets all excited... I have kept mine just in case... Also when I crate him I keep his collars off of him. i have heard horror stories about them getting caught and being strangled... that scares me!

Guest Celestrina

I am all about the muzzle, too. But, what do you do when your hound can still chew up things with their muzzle on? :unsure

Get a poop guard that fits inside the muzzle.

Guest lovnmygreys

I don't muzzle Dillon at all. HOWEVER when he sees his muzzle (like when I am cleaning or whatever the case may be) he gets all excited... I have kept mine just in case... Also when I crate him I keep his collars off of him. i have heard horror stories about them getting caught and being strangled... that scares me!

We haven't crated them yet. We don't even have crates. But we both work all day and how horrible would that be for them to be stuck in crates like that. Yuck. :(

Guest Wasserbuffel
But we both work all day and how horrible would that be for them to be stuck in crates like that. Yuck.

It depends on the dog. My grey loves her crate. She's always been crated when we leave, mostly to protect the cats at first, then out of habit. Initially she slept in our bedroom on a bed, not in a crate. After about 10 months, despite being crated for about 8 hours a day already, she decided on her own that she wanted to sleep in her crate too! She began to rush into it after last turnout and refused to get back out until morning. We moved it to the bedroom and she's been happy as a clam.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Again, crates like muzzles are safety tools. Remember you are responsible for their safety, and by not using safety devices (that they may require depending on their specific situation) that equates to neglegence. I have a foster right now that has had a few issues, he must be crated away from others when we are not home for everyone's safety. Not only that, whenever he is out of his crate, he has to be muzzled because he is an "eater" (this means he eats inapropriate things such as belts and such), no if ands or buts. The only time he gets his muzzle off is when he is sleeping next to me, and when we play in the yard. There is nothing mean about it. I am making sure that he doesnt eat something that could cause a blockage and kill him, as well as keeping him from a fight that could kill him or one of my other hounds. Safety first.

You can get a muzzle strap. It goes on basically like a thin collar and it runs through the muzzle in the back preventing the dog from taking it off. You can order them from Birdwell Enterprises and I think there is an adoption group that sells them also. Very inexpensive and will keep them from chewing up your stuff.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest lovnmygreys

Again, crates like muzzles are safety tools. Remember you are responsible for their safety, and by not using safety devices (that they may require depending on their specific situation) that equates to neglegence. I have a foster right now that has had a few issues, he must be crated away from others when we are not home for everyone's safety. Not only that, whenever he is out of his crate, he has to be muzzled because he is an "eater" (this means he eats inapropriate things such as belts and such), no if ands or buts. The only time he gets his muzzle off is when he is sleeping next to me, and when we play in the yard. There is nothing mean about it. I am making sure that he doesnt eat something that could cause a blockage and kill him, as well as keeping him from a fight that could kill him or one of my other hounds. Safety first.

Would you crate them for nine hour days?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

If I happen to be out for 9 hours one day, yes. I would rather crate for 9 hours than come home to a dead hound. As I said, you have to realize what safety tool you need to use for your specific hound. 9 hours really isnt that horrible.

Guest lovnmygreys

If I happen to be out for 9 hours one day, yes. I would rather crate for 9 hours than come home to a dead hound. As I said, you have to realize what safety tool you need to use for your specific hound. 9 hours really isnt that horrible.

Thanks for the advice. :bow2

Ok, I just need to get a job that I can either work from home or take them with me. Problem solved! (I wish...)

Guest GreyHawk

9 hours really isnt that horrible.

Personally, I think that people who say things like this should do a little experiment and shut themselves in the crate for 9 hours and then see if they still think it's not that horrible. Same goes for muzzling, although of course this applies more to some people than others ... :bunny

Ok, we made sure they were on as tight as they could go while still being comfortable. Came home to this. We are gone all day at work, I don't want to have to crate them, but what are my options?!

f165cbed.jpg

Had they done any damage to each other or anything else? If not why bother with the muzzles. All ours and fosters over the years have had the free run of the house, no muzzles, no crates and we have never had a problem. However, I do not let them run and play together outside without muzzles as they are generally too rough and excitable so accidents more likely to happen there.

Sue from England

Guest lovnmygreys

No damage to each other (THANK GOD!) as that really is my main concern, but I do come home to some form of carnage daily, whether it be a silk plant, a throw pillow, whatever. They like to chew on things. LOL

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

9 hours really isnt that horrible.

Personally, I think that people who say things like this should do a little experiment and shut themselves in the crate for 9 hours and then see if they still think it's not that horrible. Same goes for muzzling, although of course this applies more to some people than others ... :bunny

I am x-military (VFW actually), I have had worse happen to me. I know what is horible, thank you.

I have a foster right now that has had a few issues, he must be crated away from others when we are not home for everyone's safety. Not only that, whenever he is out of his crate, he has to be muzzled because he is an "eater" (this means he eats inapropriate things such as belts and such), no if ands or buts.

If your foster has to be muzzled when you are home because he is eating belts, etc. perhaps you should look into dogproofing your home and/or keeping the foster on a lead near you rather than using a muzzle almost all the time.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I have a foster right now that has had a few issues, he must be crated away from others when we are not home for everyone's safety. Not only that, whenever he is out of his crate, he has to be muzzled because he is an "eater" (this means he eats inapropriate things such as belts and such), no if ands or buts.

If your foster has to be muzzled when you are home because he is eating belts, etc. perhaps you should look into dogproofing your home and/or keeping the foster on a lead near you rather than using a muzzle almost all the time.

Not going to get into this argument. Read the sentence about everyone's safety, he has issues that require a muzzle for his and others safety.

Guest LindsaySF

Like martingales, I often find that people don't put muzzles on tight enough. They should be snug enough to not flip over the ears if the dog rubs with their paw. If that won't work (some dogs have thin ears too that don't hold the muzzle on well), then get a muzzle strap.