Chewed Electrical Cord

Our 11 months old puppy, Lilly, is a big (BIG!) chewer - like all puppies. We've managed to not have any serious issues until today. She chewed through the power cord to the running box fan - in about 3 seconds before either DH or I could do anything. She did get a shock - she jumped and yelped and ran away - so we know it hurt.

In her typical fashion, she had to go off and think about it, then went back and sniffed the now broken fan a couple times. She's still a little leery of the one we replaced, but there doesn't seem to be any damage. I checked her all over for burns and inside her mouth. Her heartbeat seems fine. She's acting OK if a little subdued, which could be the extremely hot weather we're having today.

So is there anything we should watch out for in the coming hours? I've never had a dog get a shock like this before, but I've heard about some serious consequences. I'm hoping she just got enough of a sting to put her off cords for good!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest snowmo18

My parents told me of their spaniel they had was I was a baby that chewed through a cord..really caused some damage and had to have jaw surgery to repair damage. something I always worry about with my dogs and cats..my one cat used to chew on cords all the time..finally grew out of it. Shes lucky she didnt get seriously hurt...

PetMD says to watch for:

• Coughing
  • Abnormally fast breathing (tachypnea)
  • Needing to be upright to breathe properly (orthopnea)
  • Crackling sounds in the lungs (rales)
  • Difficulty breathing (dyspnea)
  • Bluish-tinged skin (cyanosis)

The one dog we saw in the practice I worked for who did this had a horrendous, very deep, burn across the roof of his mouth. Did you check up there? Sometimes these things can be hard to see.

He needed surgery to repair the damage - but there was not so much hi-tech stuff done in those days, of course. As I remember, the senior partner filled in the missing tissue with guttapercha and it worked perfectly. He healed well, and as far as I know, never touched another cable!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Even though the dog seems fine, you probably should get her to the vet to get examined. As someone mentioned, there might be burns that you are not seeing. Also, the shock can cause problems with the electrical system of the heart and these problems may not be immediately evident after it happens - could take a few days... even a week.

I did check her mouth, but will take a flashlight and do it again. She didn't lose consciousness at all or anything like that, so I'm hoping this isn't going to be something major.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh no! I have no medical knowledge but will add Lilly a.k.a. Boogerhead to my prayer list right away.

Hugs to you Chris - that must have been terrifying!

Carol Ann.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Boogerhead??!!?

Hope all is well!

She seems fine and actually ate her dinner tonight with more gusto than usual.

Lilly aka Boogerhed - Seemed nicer than **head when she was younger! ;)