There have been a lot of threads recently involving the Iams Green bag, but I did want to report back on my "garbage kibble" experiment. :P As reported in my previous thread, after a brief try with Petsmart's own brown rice formula I switched Skye to the Iams green bag (minichunks) and it seems to have resolved her issues. I did also cut back on the PB and lamb lung treats and added a bedtime poop walk (which she took advantage of less and less as time passed), but after a little time on the Iams her stool got darker and much more compact and she stopped having any accidents in the crate. So I do think the Nature's Domain was too rich and/or producing too much volume for her to handle. I was also able to feed her less of the Iam's and maintain her weight - not sure if she would have gained weight if I continued feeding the amount of ND I was feeding (she was my first smaller mixed breed foster so I was still figuring out the appropriate amt).

However, I adopted her on Sunday so yesterday evening she had her first raw meal so hopefully her time on Iams is done. :clap:)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Welcome to the Iams's side.... :rivethead

Regarding quantity, Gracie gets 1 to 1 1/4 cups depending how much extra stuff I add (veggies, our leftover chicken).

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Welcome to the Iams's side.... :rivethead

Regarding quantity, Gracie gets 1 to 1 1/4 cups depending how much extra stuff I add (veggies, our leftover chicken).

We settled on 3/4 of a cup, 2x/day for Skye (who is 30lbs) and not much extras - I use her kibble for training treats and her kongs are kibble layered with a bit of pumpkin and a tiny bit of PB. But she's incredibly active at 9 mo.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest HoundWorks

After reading all the good things about the green bag on GT I decided to give it a try. I've been through multiple high quality brands with our whippet Dex and no success. Everyone on the whippet forum said to go grain free... Still no luck. Then we got our grey Siri and she was having the same soft stool problems. So following all the good reviews we bought IAMs green bag and no more than a day later both of them have the best stools I've ever seen! Eureka!

Although my adoption group specifically told me only to feed the really expensive rich foods and put IAMs on their "bad" list. But if it's working and they seem happy I'm definitely sticking with it. Plus like you said the cost factor is just an added bonus.

Guest colander_girl

Our girl seems to have soft stools even on the most expensive foods. We'd really like to try the green bag Iams. Do you get the "large breed" Proactive or is it the regular kind?

Thanks!!!

My Gracie prefers the Iams green bag in the smaller kibble size. I believe it 's the Pro-active.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I feed the regular pro-active. My guys eat very fast and choked on the mini chunks.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

We used the minichunks, but Skye is only 30 lbs.

Guest colander_girl

Thanks! Cosmo is 65 lbs and a pretty normal eater (she doesn't speed-eat), so we'll try a bag of the regular size and see how she does on it.

Guest apollo

Your experimental post helped me determine to try to give it to my Boston Terrier - he usually stops eating his food after the 2nd bag I buy - for example I bought him Natural Balance bison & sweet potato - the other bag was venison and he stopped eating it in the middle. The same with blue buffalo and purina pro plan (first salmon then lamb and rice for ppp; chicken then lamb and rice for bb).

This forum helped my bf and I because I read about Iams green bag and told him - well it's working. His poops are becoming more firm! We bought the green bag for large breed.

Is it ok to give a boston terrier large breed dog food? I just thought of that lol...

Guest colander_girl

Is it ok to give a boston terrier large breed dog food? I just thought of that lol...

I'm also curious to know that -- is the only difference with "large breed" food the size of the kibble? Or do they use a different formulation?

Guest apollo

I'm also curious to know that -- is the only difference with "large breed" food the size of the kibble? Or do they use a different formulation?

I'm sure the formulation is different because bigger dogs require more supplements to protect their joints - plus the kibble is larger. My BT has a luxating patella (his knee goes out on him a lot) and he's already on supplements for it...

I use the the red bag, lamb and rice formula. I buy the mini-chunks because my hounds wouldn't eat the larger sized kibble. I had to give it away. They get one cup in the morning and 2 cups at night.(They get chicken and cottage cheese in their supper bowl with the kibble.) They are both about 80 pounds but our bridge angel was only 60 pounds and she would out eat the boys and still be hungry. She did not gain weight either and she was not food aggressive.

Guest colander_girl

Just did a little digging around the Iams site, and yes--the formulation is different for the large breed. I think we may try the large breed first, and if our girl has any more poo issues on it we'll switch to the MiniChunks second. According to the feeding chart, we could end up feeding her slightly less than she currently gets on a more expensive food.

Here are the nutritional breakdowns:

Iams Proactive Large Breed

Nutrient (percent)

Crude Protein minimum 22.5%

Crude Fat minimum 12.5%

Crude Fat maximum 15.5%

Crude Fiber maximum 5.0%

Moisture maximum 10.0%

Omega-6 Fatty Acids minimum 2.25%*

Omega-3 Fatty Acids minimum 0.15%*

Glucosamine minimum 350 mg/kg*

Iams Proactive Adult Chunks

Nutrient (percent)

Crude Protein minimum 25.0%

Crude Fat minimum 14.0%

Crude Fiber maximum 4.0%

Moisture maximum 10.0%

Omega-6 Fatty Acids minimum 2.5%*

Omega-3 Fatty Acids minimum 0.17%*

Iams Proactive MiniChunks

Nutrient (percent)

Crude Protein minimum 25.0%

Crude Fat minimum 14.0%

Crude Fiber maximum 4.0%

Moisture maximum 10.0%

Omega-6 Fatty Acids minimum 2.5%*

Omega-3 Fatty Acids minimum 0.17%*

Guest apollo

You know, based on the above and the kcal/cup if I feed my boston terrier 1 1/2cup of the large breed formula he'll get 555kcal per meal versus the allotted amount for his size if i feed the adult chunks he'll get 550.1kcals per meal.

I think I may keep him on this food.