Can A Food Work For A While And Then Not So Much?

Guest driser

Guest driser

We've had our guy for 13 months now and have struggled with vascilating good poops, soft poops, pudding poops. He had hook when we first got him and that took 5 rounds of Panacur (yes they take a while to annihilate). His last fecal sample was clear of everything. But the cycle continues and seems to be more unformed stools than not lately. Is it possilbe a food that was working maybe isn't working now?? I just read a post about "the green bag" (again) and am tempted to switch from red bag to green bag IAMS though I'm remiss to switch his food yet again.

Guest OPointyDog

Can't offer any advice, but we're in the same boat (though for a shorter amount of time). She had hooks when we got her 3 months ago, now clear, and tried many foods with pretty mixed results. Currently on the red bag of Iams, and at least one batch of pudding a day.... Wondering if the green would be better?

So I'll be curious what people have to suggest!

My latest thinking is that maybe the yogurt I put on her food is disagreeing with her. So I discontinued that and have put FortiFlora on her food the last 2 days. We'll see how that goes!

The only way to get a read on the food itself is to discontinue all of the add-ins like yogurt and probiotics for a couple weeks. Then, slowly add one thing back in at a time, about once every 2-3 weeks. This is is the only way to know what is actually impacting the tummy. You don't want to give new treats during that time either, if you give new treats, then don't do the add-in.

Often the food isn't the problem, but one of the other things they are eating in combination with it can really throw things off.

Been there, done that! Good luck.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Bootsy had chronic poop issues for 3 years., regardless of food. His first poop perfect, second poop really good, third poop pudding. Every walk. Drove me nuts. We switched him off of kibble and onto a raw diet a few months ago and that was a major reason.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

If you're just coming of a long bout of hooks - and I know - that's a LOOOOONG process...... and it looked like you were in the clear, then not.... maybe you could try purging and starting over?

What I mean is - consider putting your pup on a diet of boiled rice and cooked chicken or ground beef (fat rinsed off) for a week. No treats, no add-ins, no chews. Nothing else.

Then - pick a food. Diamond Naturals lamb and rice, or Premium Edge - just a couple suggestions I've had good luck with. Mix half then new food and half the "bland recipe rice and chicken" for a week. No treats, no add-ins. Then go all kibble for a couple weeks, no treats, no add-ins. It'll take a month. But - It might just "reboot the system".

In my personal experience with stomach issues - adding stuff never works. Stripping down to basics does.

do call your vet. hookworms seem to never go away- i battled them for years w/ my salukis. so, maybe hook ???? but other wise your pup may need some tylan power or flagyl- only your vet knows for sure. i am a strong supporter of boiled white rice when there is a stomach upset and sloooooowly adding in a tad of kibble at a time. i don't add yoguart or other topping to my dogs food, it seems to throw their stomachs into a tailspin- probiotics-capsules and digestive enzymes, YES.

and yes, i have gone thru changing foods since the customer rep even said, "there could have been a change in the ingredients, since we are holistic and our sources change". that took care of feeding them holistic select- but IAMS most likely is pretty consistant, it's a bigger operation. maybe you have a spoiled bag(hot weather sitting on a truck)? mabye it's the add-ins, maybe one needs a verbal consult w/ the vet. i would start w/ rice then vet. good luck

Bootsy had chronic poop issues for 3 years., regardless of food. His first poop perfect, second poop really good, third poop pudding. Every walk. Drove me nuts. We switched him off of kibble and onto a raw diet a few months ago and that was a major reason.

Isn't this pattern fairly common? My Hester does the same thing. We walk him for hours every day and it seems he will empty himself, with each successive bowel movement softer than the one before. The first is always perfect and the last is pudding. 3 times on a long walk is typical. On the rare day when his walks are fewer or shorter I will only see the well formed version. My understanding is that the longer he holds his feces the more water that is extracted in the rectum. Is this a problem or just a grey thing - a sprinter/hunter preparing for the chase.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest sirsmom

If he was doing well on the food and not now its probably parasites or even Giardia. When it happened to my girl recently I found out it was a tapeworm and within 2 days poop was firm again. You could try panacur and if that doesn't work suspect tapes.

Guest driser

UPDATE:

He went from not eating much to eating even less, not drinking and LIQUID poo that looked bloody so back to the vet (we had just been there 13 days ago) but this time I requested a fecal sample be sent to lab.

Recommended regimen from last night's appt:

with IBS/collitus symptoms, start switching to limited ingredient unique protein source food (he WOLFED down dinner and breakfast even though it only had 1/4c venison kibble and 1 TBS rabbit mixed in his current food; now that's the dog we know)

Continue Probiotics - switched to Proflora probiotic chews since it has no other ingredients but the probiotics

Tylan (metronidazol hasn't worked in past) powder

Vet just called with lab report: yep, HOOKS still!

Because he's been dosed with Panacur so many times in past 13 months, she thinks he has larvae migration where larvae get into the intenstinal muscle itself. so wants to deworm with Drontal Plus every two weeks for three months. She said battling hooks for so long would cause IBS because his intestines haven't had a chance to not be irritated in so long. $$$

But if it makes him feel better I'll gladly do all of the above!

Oh that poor baby! I hope the new treatment regimen will help, and that the change of food helps too.

I've got the same issue, only with one of my indoor-only cats. Complete food switch (and the other hates the new food), probiotics with every meal for him, nothing extra (sorry, no licking the cereal bowl or Doritos for you!), and we're still waiting for something really *good* to come of it. It's been about a month now, and things are starting to firm up. I hope your situation clears faster than ours has been!