His Bladder Is Good For 12+- Hours **

Guest albertahound

Guest albertahound

Hi, I'm fairly new, read lots of posts, and now have one for you.

Edge is my new 4 year old grey who is now retired from racing. He is a wonderful dog, very loving and fits in with my other grey Sophie, also 4, and lastly Leo my Lowchen 13 years.

The issue is that I beleive Edge was crated at the track and may have had to "hold it" for up to 12 hours.

I know this because he has had only one accident in the two weeks I've had him. Figured he hadn't gone for about that long, and we were greeted with a large 12 hour's puddle worth of pee on the carpet.

Can't get him to go to the bathroom on a different schedule (poop is ok).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest sweetpea

Is he leash walked or does he have a yard?

You "figured" he hadn't gone for 12 hours, I don't mean to sound harsh, but if he's still new, you should know for sure whether he's going or not.

We make the schedule, in the beginning we offered a bunch of potty opportunities

(out at wake up, out after breakfast, out at noon, out at 3, out after dinner, out at bedtime).

And then we scale back as needed.

Right now our schedule is: Out at 6:30am; out at 2:30pm; out at 9 pm.

Occasionally we've gone outside that schedule, but we try to stick to it.

Sundays Sweetpea lets me sleep in, so yeah, she can

hold it for 10 to 12 hours, but I don't make a habit out of it.

And until he learns the schedule, you have to make sure he goes during one of his "opportunities" so he doesn't hold it for 12 hours.

So that means he stays out in the yard or you keep walking him until you see some production.

My dogs know "get busy" means go potty, 'cause I say it every time I take them out for a walk.

They obviously don't pee on command, but they understand we're out there for a reason, and

not just to sniff pee-mail.

It's just a couple of weeks in, he's still getting the hang of things; that you've only had one accident means

he probably gets that inside is not where he's supposed to be taking care of business, so that's good news!

Good luck!

Buzzy

I second, or third, the opinion that 12 hours is too long to hold it. Not that it can't be done. My Annie Bella goes 12 hours overnight but that's her choice because she likes to sleep in, and certainly if she needed to go, we'd be outside in a flash. Annie Bella gets P&P opportunities at least 4 times a day and in cooler weather, 5 times a day. Two of these opportunities include our twice daily walks, which become three daily walks when the weather is cooler.

I agree that Edge needs to be given the chance to pee more often and held accountable by keeping him outside until something is produced. Because of the history you think he has (crated for 12 hours at the track), he probably won't pee every 3 hours, but certainly every 5 hours he should be able to produce something if he's drinking enough water.

Yes he was crated at the track, but certainly not for 12 hours at a time. Brindles can probably expound on that.

I have a dog door and can tell you mine often don't go outside for twelve hours or more in good weather. If it is raining they stick their noses out the flap and gauge how bad it is raining vs. how bad they have to pee and that can be a verrrry long time.

Dogs don't have to pee as often as humans because they only drink when they are thirsty. Humans drink for lots of reasons unrelated to thirst. Your dog doesn't have a couple of cups of coffee to open his eyes, a soda with co-workers on morning and afternoon breaks, iced tea with lunch, a few beers after work, or some hot cocoa before bed.

That said, dogs love routines. When I had a zillion fosters pre dog door they went out first thing in the morning (9ish), again after breakfast before I left for work, when I came home (5ish), sometime mid evening (8ish)and before bed around midnight. Every time it was "go potty" and the last turn out was "go potty go to bed", my version of last call. They all got it, even the racing school dropouts that had never seen a house or a crate.

You can get him on a schedule and I promise that he was on one at the track (which began very early in the a.m.) This may involve you going out in the yard with him every time for a while on your schedule and making sure that he pees then praising him like crazy. Sometimes people just open the back door, let the dog out and assume it pees. The dog may have just been sniffing the roses when the owner calls it back in having no idea it was supposed to be peeing. At the track he knew when he was let out with 30 other dogs that it was time to pee, but your yard is a whole new world and he has no pressing need to add his pee to a bunch of other dogs to show how manly he is. You have to go with him and see it happen.

You'll get there.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Nothing to do with the schedule at the track, they are turned out far more frequently than that.

Does he have access to water 24-7? If not, he should.

Otherwise, he just needs ample opportunity and to be walked until he goes. If you don't have a yard, then the leash may be an issue and you'll just have to walk him more frequently or for longer until he does go, then praise effusively and give treats.

If he hasn't gone in some time, keep him in your sights somehow - tethered to you, gated into the room you're in, or crated so that you can watch closely for signs that he may need to go. When you suspect he may, get him outside immediately. It may help to have an area you go to each time and just ask him to "go potty" or whatever cue you want to use when you get there.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest KennelMom

My girl Haley could hold it forever. Echo is often good for 12 hours...and our mini schnauzer often goes 12-14 hours by choice (he likes to sleep in)....so it's not just a greyhound thing.

That is more than like just a new to home and routine thing. It is not a track thing. It may take you awhile to get him on to whatever routine you need him to be on but right now he needs free access to water and out frequently on a set routine. That said, like others have said, Joshy pees maybe twice a day if he feels like it. Sometimes more. Jonah will pee every time he is put out as did Jack.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Even after Teague has held his bladder all night he will usually NOT go pee if I just let him out in my small backyard. I have to actually take him on a walk before he will really go. He seems to only go in the backyard if he is desperate. I don't know if you have tried walking him rather than just turning him out, but I have yet to find a dog that won't pee on walks. Good luck!

Guest albertahound

Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice. His first pee was at 10am when the other two were going for their first pee.

After that I did keep him enclosed on the deck and tried to his "area", where he waited me out.

So a walk at 5pm finally made the difference.

We'll keep on going and new stuff will show up,as it does with a new member to the household.

10 AM is the first outing?

I can only dream of that!

My dog goes out a minimum of five times a day, on a leash (I have no yard). He probably pees 4-10 times every time. Boy does seem to have a never ending supply of urine.

Probably best for you to take your new guy out on a leash until he's housebroken and on a schedule, even if it's only in your yard. If you're trying to force him to pee in a specific place, it could be he simply finds that place unacceptable (for now). I'd work on housebreaking first, and worry about a "pee area" second.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest shanesmom

Ace is choosy about where he will potty. Even after hours of not going and drinking lots of water he will not potty anywhere near the front of my condo building. He is leash walked and in close to 100 degree heat I wish he would potty in front of the building in the shade but he insists on being walked quite a distance to a field and then he sniffs for a long time before he goes.

When we got Ben he was leash walked because we didn't have a fence so he still doesn't go in our yard.For us, it works though because our greys get lots of walks, no matter what the weather. I know Susan (georgeofne above) has mentioned a greyt idea in the past. The first walk is short and meant for George to do his business before breakfast, then she takes him out for a longer walk after that.

I always thought this was ideal, however, it can take time to train him and maybe she can expand on her method. What I can tell you is that you need to keep him outside until he goes so he learns what is expected of him. You may need to go out before 10am to give yourself extra time to stay with him until he does his business.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My dog goes out a minimum of five times a day, on a leash (I have no yard). He probably pees 4-10 times every time. Boy does seem to have a never ending supply of urine.

Hehehe.. My girl can hold it forever, it seems, but when we're on our walks, she squats here, there and everywhere, sometimes leaving just a few drops so the rest of the dogs know she's been there too.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Nonnie would sleep in until 11:00 if I let him (11 is lunchtime or he'd sleep even later!) My solution, since I am a nite owl anyways, and I work from home, is to turn them both out one last time at about midnite instead of the 9 pm last call we used to do. That way he (and I!) can get our "beauty sleep" Without me worrying about my silly boy and his cast-iron bladder.

Just depends on the hours you keep. Like Robbie I'm a night owl and work(ed) evenings. Never had a dog that wouldn't adapt. When I was doing MAJOR fostering (6 or 8 fosters) and working days at Fridays they all learned to go out for last call around midnight and sleep in until 9. Maybe it was easier that a lot of them were farm heathens that weren't used to getting up at the crack of dawn in the kennel, but even the track dogs got it.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

He might not like the "area" you've designated for potty. Because he is still so new, and you're working on housebreaking, I'd let him potty outside wherever he wants. Just be glad it's outside. :D

Guest karilynn

This is the potty/food schedule with my boy:

I wake up around 11 am (work second shift) - I usually eat and get dressed while he continues to sleep, then finally I wake him up and make him go outside around 11:30-noon and he pees and sometimes poops

Then he eats breakfast

I come home from work on my lunch break around 8 pm and let him out and he pees and poops

I get home at 12:30 and he eats dinner

Then we go out before bed around 2-3 am and he pees and poops (he poops a lot lol)

So, he goes about 8-10 hours, which he seems totally fine with. Hasn't had one single accident inside of my apartment since I got him.

Though, one time I totally overslept and he slept, too, and I had been sleeping for 13 hours, meaning he hadn't gone out for 14. I felt HORRIBLE. He peed in the hallway of my apartment complex... :( felt so bad for him. It was totally my fault. Of course I cleaned it up. I think 12 hours is a stretch. I don't really like to go over 10.

Edited by karilynn

Guest 18tjettagrl

Well this thread makes me feel better then. I was wondering because since we are a newly adopted family to Victoria, I had gotten concerned she would hold it for so long. But it makes sense to me now in reading these comments. She can hold it for hours and sometimes will. However her routine as of now is 6:15am outside, my dad comes to water her at 12:30 and then my husband is home by at least 4:30 so she's got multiple times to go. She will go in the morning and in the afternoon just to please my dad I think lol, but then wont go again till around 11pm. If I can't convince her to go then she'll get me up at 2 or 3am and we'll go out for a few. Usually does what she needs to do and right back in we go. I guess this breed is so different then what I'm used to. I had a beagle/bassett (recently deceased this month) who seemed every few hours needed to go out but then again she was a hefty water drinker. So I can sit back a little and relax I think now knowing all this and others talking about these issues.

Guest kirstenbergren

We had the same problem when we first got PJ. He would hold it for hours on end and then not go when we went outside (on a leash) to go potty. He finally realized the new routine and goes to the bathroom great outside on a regular schedule. He also gets a treat after he poops or pees outside to try to stop accidents in the house. I think Edge just needs to get use to the new routine that you set up for him. Good luck! :goodluck

Guest albertahound

It's great to read all your posts. It's fascinating to talk about our grey's potty habits. And as it goes, as I was writing the first post, Edge was reading my mind, and has been peeing most times he has gone out. He is an avid pee'er, we would call it a "3 beer" pee. lol

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Dogs at the track are absolutely NEVER crated for 12 hours. What tool told you that? We let them out at least four times a day.

Guest albertahound

Dogs at the track are absolutely NEVER crated for 12 hours. What tool told you that? We let them out at least four times a day.

I have had the number 12 stuck with me and it followed me to my post. No harm was meant.