Is This A Normal Rxn To Anesthesia/pain Meds?

Kind of a long story, but Jabari (13 yo IG) had to have emergency surgery to remove one of his top canine teeth today. My vet is only open half a day on Saturdays, but she stayed longer just for Bari. She sent him home just about an hour after surgery, which is way sooner than he's ever been home after anesthesia/pain meds before.

He won't stop pacing and panting (he rarely ever pants), and if I crate him he is screaming (he is perfectly crate trained normally). He's been home about 2.5 hrs and he's not settling down. I'm guessing it's normal but I just wanted to make sure. He's never had a reaction like this before and it's awful. His nose is dripping blood, his face has drool all over it, and his eyes are all glassy. I want my boy back to normal :cry1

Edited by RileysLegacy

I can only say that when the vet gave Rex moraphine he totally wigged out, paced and panted half the night with glassy eyes and refused to settle until he wore himself out. His nose didn't bleed though. No dog of mine will ever have moraphine again. I was OK with watching him throw up in the vet office (they asked if that would bother me) but we went way south from there. It was a long night that I wouldn't wish on anyone, but we made it thru.

Will be up for a while and am thinking of you and your guy.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks Pam. The nose bleeding has been happening since this morning. The vet said it would prob continue for another day or two, so I'm not really worried about that although it's disconcerting. He is in his crate FREAKING OUT right now. I have never heard such a noise coming from a dog, almost like he's yodeling :( But if I let him out of the crate he is just pacing & pacing & pacing. I should have asked what pain meds she used. My fault :( :(

Do you have or have access to Rescue Remedy? that might work. Myself, I wouldn't go much further than that without vet OK. I know his crate is not as big as GH but could you lie in the opening and extend an arm without pushing him? :dunno. With Rex he just had to pant it out in a very long time for us both. :(

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

Hey Lucy, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this... Poor Bari :(. It could be that he just didn't have enough time to come down from the meds. Our dogs are always generally pacy and panty after being under, but I had no idea how vocal, since they're generally kept at the vet for several hours after. Well, one day my vet called me after mork's dental, and after a minute or 2, I hear this wailing (seriously wailing) in the background. I said jokingly, "that's not Mork is it?". It was.

Apparently that's how he came to and acted for a while after being under (every single time) But I had no idea he did that. Invariably, all of our dogs have panted and paced for several hours after anesthesia... The wailing sounds like it's not uncommon either. I hope he starts to settle, I know how awful it is not to be able to do anything to help.

Hey Lucy, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this... Poor Bari :(. It could be that he just didn't have enough time to come down from the meds. Our dogs are always generally pacy and panty after being under, but I had no idea how vocal, since they're generally kept at the vet for several hours after. Well, one day my vet called me after mork's dental, and after a minute or 2, I hear this wailing (seriously wailing) in the background. I said jokingly, "that's not Mork is it?". It was.

Apparently that's how he came to and acted for a while after being under (every single time) But I had no idea he did that. Invariably, all of our dogs have panted and paced for several hours after anesthesia... The wailing sounds like it's not uncommon either. I hope he starts to settle, I know how awful it is not to be able to do anything to help.

Thank you so much Carol, this makes me feel a lot better. I couldn't take the wailing so I let him out of the crate. I wasn't sure if I should feed him any dinner but I wanted to give him his nighttime meds so I hand fed him a few bites. He ate it, so hopefully that's a good sign. He's still pacing but not panting so at least it's some improvement. I would think the poor guy is going to have to get tired soon...

Thanks again guys. GTers are the best :)

When ever I pick my foster greys up from surgery they are little dopie. But got one foster home & was doing what you describe. Called vets & they said it was because he had the surgery at 4:30 & I picked him up @8:30. Only 4 hours had passed and he Hadnt been able to completely recover from the anastasia. Was fine the next day

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest FullMetalFrank

Jewels was pretty much the same after she had surgery to repair a huge skin tear. It took 6 or 7 hours before she finally calmed down. My vet warned us that she'd be in for a rough night; ordinarily for a surgery like hers he said they would keep the dog overnight on a pain drip but he felt like she'd be better at home with us (she was, but it sure was hard on us!) It's tough to see them in such a state. I hope your sweet little guy is feeling better by now.

Sounds like my Trinkett post-amputation. They said that they would normally keep her overnight after surgery, but she wasn't settling down at the vet's so they sent her home that evening because they thought she would do better in a less-stressful environment. (She always acted like she had claustrophobia, and being in a crate would make her pace and pace.) It was a long rough night of her panting a lot, and pacing somewhat. It was tough on me, but she was a lot better by morning.

If you are really concerned, you might try calling your local e-vet and see if they think this is a pretty normal reaction or not. I can almost guarantee that Bari will be doing better by morning, if you can wait that long.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Thanks everyone! He's much better! He's not sleeping but is laying in his bed peacefully & he just peed outside for the first time since this morning. We are all going to try to get some sleep now. Thanks again for all the help!

btw never again will I take a dog home right after surgery!

Guest SusanP

Our vets have always let us bring our dogs home quickly after surgery, especially the anxious ones. Our Zippy reacts with panting and pacing if she is given morphine. So in subsequent years, our vet was trying alternate solutions to pain. (I wish I could remember what they were or the outcomes! Zippy is 14 now and hasn't had surgery or dentals in a couple of years, and my memory is getting really bad). Anyway, if you can isolate what causes the reaction, there may be a way to work around it.

ETA we figured out it was the morphine when she was given that med after a bite injury, with no anesthesia involved.

Edited by SusanP

I hope Bari does better today. When Noelle lost all but 6 teeth she howled, paced, panted, & bled so much the head vet was worried about sending her home but did after she calmed down a bit when she saw me. After being home an hour her howling, pacing & bleeding were almost over when he called to check on her. He said she just wants to be with me. Give that handsome boy a hug for me & try to rest today.

How's Bari doing this morning?

I didn't see this last night -- the frantic pacing & panting seems pretty normal, although I would have been concerned by the bleeding if my vet hadn't explained that it was to be expected. I get the pacey/panting thing from my boy Riley. I get the 'why did you go away -- I'm never going to let you out of my site' drama from my girl.

He's doing so much better this morning! I can tell he's still in some pain, but he's so much more calm. I will ask my vet when I talk to her if she gave him morphine or anything she doesn't usually give him or if it was just bc they usually keep him there much longer. I'm REALLY hoping this was his last anesthesia but you never know. Thanks again everyone!!!

Guest MnMDogs

Lucy, I am so glad he's feeling better! There's nothing worse than not being able to help when they're obviously distressed... The night Mork had his tie-back was a nightmare, since not only could he not settle, but he could have any water due to aspiration risk. That was a night I'd never like to repeat. Give him some love from me :)

Opiate pain reliever will often cause this reaction in greys, so I'm not surprised it happened for your little guy too. There was a thread a while back that someone posted an anesthesia protocol that was by a respected greyhound surgeon (I think). You might look that up and take it in to discuss with your vet.

Glad he's doing better today.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly