Cut/sore On Hind Leg

Guest nd5thyear

Guest nd5thyear

Hi, Fae appears to have some sort of cut/sore on her hind leg (on that very thin membrane above the ankle). It use to be a small cut but she keeps licking and agitating it and last night it was really red and while it wasn't bleeding you could put your finger on it see blood. Until we can see the vet next week does anyone have any tips on what to put on it or how to bandage it? I don't want her to keep licking it, especially during the day while we're at work.

She's walking fine, I just want to address it once and for all so it can finally heal.

Thanks for the help! Pics pasted below:

leg2.jpg

Leg1.jpg

I am sure that others will weigh in with suggestions but when my girl has had scratches like that I put EMT gel on and add a poop guard to her muzzle so she can't snake her tongue through the end and lick the wound. The EMT gel works great and the muzzle keeps my competitive licker from doing any harm to herself (and the walls, floors, furniture...).

Looks very minor to me. The main thing is just ot keep her from licking it and making it worse. It ought to heal pretty quick regardless of what if anything you put on it. Try engineering a muzzle that will keep her form bothering it-maybe a poop guard muzzle will work.

When Peggy got a cut there last year I put Vetzyme ointment and real Aloe Vera sap from a cut leaf. To stop licking I used a tiny girl's sock with the toe cut off and vet wrap to hold it at the top. Peggy last year photo caption in the link http://www.pbase.com/johnfr/image/135603506

Fae's graze or cut looks very angry red so there could be a common Staph infection in there. Ask the vet if any antibiotics are needed as a precaution.

Yup...muzzle to keep her from licking it.

I like traumeel cream or Colloidal Silver for scrapes like that.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

i agree w/ racing dog. to me that's a boo-boo that just needs to be irrigated w/ saline solution(starts the healing and cleans it out) and left alone. some dogs are pickers, a muzzle will do the trick. it's in a high enough place that you can't cover it over night w/ a sock, the sock will slip right down- thigh is too wide. so, just ignore and maybe a tad of triple antibiotic ointment. we have boo-boos like that all over our kama-kazi dogs all the time.

I'd just watch it for infection. I appreciate your concern - but that really isn't that bad. It's just a skin scrape.

Now - a few years ago - with my first grey - I would've worried. Today, I'd just look at that and shake my head. I definately wouldn't go to the vet for that. Of course - if you want to - do so.

At the worst - if the dog was obsessive about it (a little wound-licking is not a bad thing) - I'd put something on it and wrap it in vet-wrap. I always hesitate to do that because in my experience, wrapping a small wound draws more attention to it and the dog fusses with it more. I'd let it go a couple days at least unless you see some puss or nastiness.

It will probably be fine in a couple days if you just leave it alone, maybe irrigate it and watch.