Garry Is Not Doing Well...very Bad Back...advice Needed

I haven't been on in ages...both dogs were holding their own..

I have been dealing with Missy (almost 13) with stenosis for quite a few years...she is actually doing ok.. But NOW my Garry w who will be 11 in July is in bad shape.

Starting by not being able to go up the stairs..would start and stop..many times...then run. very clumsy. Vet said it is called ataxic.

Almost two weeks ago on a saturday night.. crying and pacing..couldn't get up the stairs. Walking all bend up/twisted..almost like a question mark and lifting up hind left leg. Took to vet Sunday morning. she (very grey saavvy) said it was three discs. Gave him a shot of dexamethesone..and started on decreasing dosage. I had acupuncture come on Thursday..he started improving then took a turn for the worse on Back to vet on Monday...seemed to be more of spine involved. stenosis/arthritis...started process over again with another shot and decreasing dosage. continue tramadol for pain. Acupuncture yesterday again. Losing weight from steroids. Today..still holding left hind leg up, still "twisted" but not as much.

Vet suggested starting adequin shots. I know he wont get any relief from those if they help for one month...

I am very worried and looking for advice.

I know that when Missy was real bad..it took I think, 4 acupuncture treatments for her to not drag her left hind leg...and have more pep in her step.

Acupuncture can come saturday again...maybe I should stick with that for a bit longer?

advice please.thank you.Donna

You might discuss a combination of pain reliever/nerve pain reducer such as tramadol and gabapentin to give him some relief. I don't think continuing with the accupuncture can hurt, but he needs relief now. If your vet does think this is a good option, current thinking is to dose the gabapentin more frequently at lower doses for greyhounds - instead of 300mgs twice a day, do 200mgs every 8 hours. The drug works well for greyhounds but seems to metabolize quicker.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Has he had x-rays?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No he has not had x-rays yet.. will ask her the plan regarding that.

We just talked about gabapentin..He went in for a adequan shot. I spoke on phone with her to ask her about gabepentin. might be an option for him..said it can make some dogs tired..but since dex hasn't given much relief..we can try it. not sure if he will need to wean off dex to start gabapentin. will stay with tramadol.

He needs relief NOW.. poor guy is miserable. he is my silly dog...havent seen a smile in ages...I just made him pasta..his favorite food.

thanks.

I just read gapapentin and steroids need to be given two hours apart?

I'd also ask about methocarbamol, a muscle relaxer that can help with back pain.

Agreed.

My old fella will be 12 in 2 weeks and I know the exact question mark body twisted body position you are talking about. Milky Way would do it and then he would hold one of his back legs up like he couldn't put it down. Check on the pain reducer's and a muscle relaxer ASAP. The combo has worked wonders for Milky Way when he has a flare up with his back.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Many well wishes.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Thank you. I am going back to the vet this morning..not taking Garry..taking other dog. But have to pick up new script for Gapapentin. Dr. wrote 300 mg tabs...dont come in tablets. will ask her about muscle relaxer. thanks. I have had neck surgery...so all of this is very familiar to me..

I second Gabapentin as it has saved our Shelby. Her back is bad and without can't really walk. On it, she is able to run out the door and do a big lap around the backyard. It's amazing how much good it does for her. I hope you are able to help Garry.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Thank you for your words of encouragement! i started the gabapentin today..100 mg capsules. Vet said every 12 hours, but can go up to every 8 after he adjusts. doesn't seem sleepy. He had it at 10:15 am. 50mg tramadol at 6:00 am. She said the two together might make him to sleepy..and suggested just the gaba. he is still on the dexamethesone..at this time two tabs once a day. Had two acupuncture..will schedule another for early next week, adequan on Thursday..will go back for second shot this thursday.

I spoke with her about muscle relaxers..she favors valium. havent started yet as waiting to see if he needs them or not. He WILL need that for fourth of july!

Thanks again..I forgot how wonderful people are on this site!