Treats For Toothless Dogs

Our greyhound Bonny recently had eight teeth extracted. She lost the two big teeth on the sides because both were cracked and several other smaller teeth. We fed her only soft food while she was healing, but have slowly reintroduced kibble either mixed with soft food or watered down. She does OK with that. However, we're at a loss about treats to give her. All of our dogs are used to getting their "after dinner treat" which was usually either a Milk Bone, Greenie, Bully Stix or Pig Ear. She isn't able to chew ANY of those now. We have been giving her Plato Thinker Sticks - which she likes - but we'd like to have other options for her too.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Hmm, sardines? Rollover dog food cut into little treats? It's basically a tube of food, that some people mix with water and feed...but I use it as training treats, they are nice and soft, all natural and super cheap when fed as a treat.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

Paul only has four teeth and eats just about anything. I give them Iams puppy biscuits which are smaller and can be broken. There are Blue Bakery soft biscuits that are reasonable. Any of the home cooked treats bakers can make you something reasonably soft. I bought some wheat free biscuits in Home Goods. There are a lot of nice priced treats that you can buy everywhere.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Bil-Jac makes some softer treats. I used the ones made for small dogs when I took Atlas to obedience class.

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Oh cheese!

Bonny won't touch cheese... we used to use it to hide pills. :lol

We do have some smaller treats she can eat - soft Milk Bones, Zukes and Milo's Kitchen chicken meatballs. I'm hoping for options for larger treats that won't take her 2 seconds to eat while her sisters are happily chewing away on their Greenies, etc.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest june

Liver Brownies (also known as Greyhound Crack)

One pound of liver cut into chunks

2 cups flour

1 egg

about 1 cup of water

2 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)

In a food processor or blender puree liver. Add flour, egg, and garlic powder. Add enough water to create a batter similar to a cake batter. If the batter is too thick, like a brownie batter, the treats will puff up in the oven. Pour into a 13x9 pan lined with aluminum foil that has been well greased. Bake for 20-30 minutes is a 350 degree over until the treats are firm in the middle. I usually cut them into about 1 inch cubes. Be careful not to give too many to start as they are really rich.

Edited to add: My dogs cruse by the oven when they are cooking because of the smell; great smell to them, not so much for us, but worth seeing them enjoy them. They do need to be kept refrigerated or even frozen. They will spoil if not kept refrigerated and if more than a week freeze them.

Edited by june

Guest SusanP

Even my nearly toothless guy can eat the softish biscuits I make my dogs: canned pumpkin mixed with peanut butter, whole wheat flour, and oven dried/baked at 275 until firm with some "give". I make some long so that when I hand out bully sticks to the guys with teeth, Dr. Doug has something to chew on that looks similar.

Guest arlosmom

Wellness and Zukes make a soft chewy square treet that I give Orla she only has eight teeth. 3 canines, 3 incisors upper and one tooth middle back up and down. She can actually crack a hard small biscuit with those front teeth and them slobber them soft.

Guest LindsaySF

Chase only had 8 teeth and she ate the hard biscuits just like the rest of the pack. Actually she preferred them. :)

Blue Dog Bakery Softies are a big hit here too.