Bloody Sneezes...not In The British Way

Guest Wpgkeith

Guest Wpgkeith

We already have an appointment next week for Riley to have his sinuses checked out in an anesthetized x-ray, but anyone have any ideas what might be causing Riley to have sneezing fits that often end with blood spatters?

Our house increasingly looks like a DSI (Dog Scene Investigations) set with blood spatter across ways, furniture, etc. We decided to wait until next week to really clean everything since as soon as we clean one wall, he sneezes on another. Or wipes his nose across a pant leg, etc.

When he had his major dental work in March his sneezing dissipated... a lot, but it has returned with a vengeance.

Any ideas? :dunno

Thanks

:mellow:

K

Not a clue. But I hope that appointment is early next week. Has the vet outlined what the diagnosis possibilities might be?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Serious sinus and/or ear infection, infected/impacted upper tooth (probably a molar), nasal tumor or growth, something else stuck up his nose (grass, seed, lint, etc).

I might not wait if it was me.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Wpgkeith

The vet checked for sinus infections, didn't seem to have any sensitivity response around the nose and region. There was no temperature elevation, so an infection was (mostly) ruled out.

When he had the dental surgery earlier, that was when a festula was found between his nasal and oral cavities...that was a concern, but his mouth has healed up very well. I guess it is possible that the festula is giving him grief, or he has another one.

:goodluck that the x-ray gives us something.

It is a judgement call....waiting till Tuesday...because he has had sneezles the entire time we have had him (6 years - July 10th ;) ) it has been a concern but only in varying degrees of importance.

:)

K

Has he been having the bloody sneezes for six years? The sneezing is less alarming than the blood with it--especially if the blood is not common with him. Yeah, he might have just ruptured a small blood vessel with a violent sneeze.

But it might be something more.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Wpgkeith

Fish oil caps...hmmmmm, yup he is on those. Maybe, not so much in the future.

The nasal worm...also interesting. I'll mention to the vet when we see her again.

RE: the blood previously, yup, the vet figured he had "just" ruptured a blood vessel. the frequency with this latest episode is causing us to intervene more thoroughly.

Thanks,

K

Guest Wpgkeith

Riley was dropped off bright and early this morning for his nasal x-rays....possibly some interior rhinoscopy-type stuff. :mellow:

:goodluck for an easy general anesthetic and tests that tell us something.

Since taking him off of the fish oil, that seems to have helped...at least a little.

K

Best wishes :goodluck:clover

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Wpgkeith

Riley is up and about... ready for pick-up after 5.

No sign of anything untoward with the x-rays..no masses, no bone loss, no....nothing.

Gonna send him home with some anti-biotics and we'll add some Benydryl --- possibly seasonal sinusitis.

We'll ask about the nasal worm when we get there.

K

We're having the same issue with Jilly Bean. She was scoped and had xrays as well with no results. I've put her on Bendryl but she still has little drips now and then.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh gosh. I hope all goes well with Riley - and Jilly Bean - and that nothing sinister is brewing. But just fyi - my (angel) Indy started to bleed (dripping, sneezing) from the right nostril in late 2008 (I posted a few threads about this). Took him for a dental, rhinoscopy, x-rays, biopsies, etc. All came back negative or inconclusive. Bleeding continued sporadically over the next year. My walls also looked like a crime scene!

Long story, but in late 2009 shortly after Indy turned 12, he started to decline in earnest. Took him for a CT scan which confirmed what I suspected all along -- a mass in his right nostril. I said goodbye to my sweet boy in early 2010 - as in time the mass would have grown and pressed on his eye or brain. I let Indy go while his dignity was intact and "better a day too soon than a day too late."

So just something to keep in the back of your mind. Hopefully that is not the fate of either Riley or Jilly Bean.

Hugs.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Guest Wpgkeith

:grouphug

Vet also added... the Interceptor "should" knock out any nasal mites/worms that might hiding up there....'round here, we only need Interceptor from June to November...although Riley might go on it year round after this episode.

Here's hoping this clears up. :hope

K

Considering the blood amount, hopefully no tumor.

I didn't see any mention of reduced appetite from possible loss of scenting ability, but regardless, if it happens to be a severe case of nasal mites, I'd be very surprised if Interceptor is strong enough to eliminate the problem.

One of our hounds required a month of repeated, direct intra-nasal treatments of LIQUID Ivermectin to completely rid her severe case of nasal mites. Easy treatment that worked WONDERS! She was treated almost five years ago. No recurrences, and thankfully we treated her before nasal mites spread to our other hounds.

Her most severe symptoms (that I recall):

Sneezing and reverse sneezing

Drippy nose

Lack of appetite (from not being able to smell food well).

Lack of normal scenting ability

Some specks of blood (but not with every sneeze)

This was my resource for diagnosing and learning treatment for her:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/121603.htm&word=nasal%2cmites

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest Wpgkeith

No lack of appetite before or now. Riley has always been very food motivated.

I'll check out the resources mentioned...so far, a combination of ABIs, Benydryl, Interceptor, and dropping the fish oil caps seem to have worked.

:goodluck

K

If he's having trouble clotting - which may be indicated by the bloody sneezing on fish oil - you might consider having some amicar on hand for future surgeries.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly