Destructive Chewing All Of A Sudden

Guest DragonflyDM

Guest DragonflyDM

I get up this morning. My shoes are chewed, his pillow is torn apart, my daughters pillow pet has his eyes ripped out (although I get that…he liked chomping on the hard parts of soft things… and he took my glasses and started chomping on those (which woke me up actually).

This is almost totally new (he did chew another dog pillow a month or so ago at the corners).

URGH. So frustrating.

Just watch him carefully. Slim uncharacteristically destructively chewed things suddenly and crossed over from bloat/GDV/surgical complications within 2 weeks. Even the very night he crossed over he had done it. All totally new and out of character and had never done it before. He also coincidentally had just had a very detailed routine examine/tests by a board certified vet in the same time frame and was pronouned totally healthy. My intution felt uneasy-I knew the sudden chewing was wierd but I didn't pursue it because the vet had gone over him with a fine tooth comb and found nothing wrong in the least. Of course it may very well have been a coincidence but just watch him carefully for awhile. You never know.

My puppy, Truman, chews anything he can get his mouth on. I've found that it's important to have a variety of toys and treats around that are appropriate for him to chew on. With that being said, Truman prefers Tupperware to a nice meaty femur bone. I don't get it. Make sure that when you catch Boomer chewing on something he isn't supposed to, you replace it with something else. If you just take the bad item away, he'll just want that item even more. You want him to understand that it's alright to chew, just do it with the right things. Good luck!

Guest DragonflyDM

His history has been to favor plush toys. He has collected shoes before but never chewed them. He has certainly never taken my glasses and decided that might be fun to chomp on.

So his two week experiment to be uncrated while I am not home is over. But this was a night time event-- and I wonder if my new internship schedule is getting him unsatisfied with his "Josh time."

Guest SoulsMom

I can find no rhyme or reason to Zoe's chewing. At least she's has stuck to paper and soft objects (but she did kill some slippers). She does this at night time and while we're gone sometimes. We've puppy proofed the house and make sure anything we don't want to lose is put out of her reach. My guess for her is SA combined with pain. We just found out she's pretty arthritic. Since we got her on pain medication she's been better about it, but she did steal a whole case of Capri Sun's off the counter Monday night. What a mess . . .

Guest Liz_in_PA

Dash is fine during the workday. If we leave for the evening, that's when destruction happens. If we can plan it, we make sure to walk him before we leave. Put up any paperbacks and pencils. Pencils are yummy. He can handle the evenings better when he's tired.

Boomer's still new to your house. Good luck.

My Cash has clearly been giving Boomer ideas.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest DragonflyDM

No storms. I think that my new schedule may be to blame (but I am not sure). Full time work, full time school was hard but doable. But now that I have an internship I may not be giving him the attention he craves. It is the only thing different I can tell. On mild weather, I would even take him to class-- but in this heat, I can't risk him in the car or in a crate outside.

I am hoping to find a dog sitter either during the day or during the evenings I am out. It is only for a few months.

What is confusing is that he is doing it when I am at home.

The only other change is that since I am gone, my daughter likes to go to sleep in my bed -- which is sort of his bed too part of the night (he only likes to be there when I am waking up or falling asleep then goes to his bed). He did go into her room and pull out one of her stuffed toys to eat.

I am not worried. I'll keep and love him. I am a minimalist-- but I hate to think that he is doing it because he is unhappy.

Not unhappy, just looking for something to do.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Bored.

To keep the peace, I'd get your kids into the habit of closing their doors, or you could put gates up to keep him out of those rooms. Try and find a way to give him some speciall attention -- something new maybe. Could you take him for a 15 minute leash walk on those days your schedule has changed?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest DragonflyDM

Bored.

To keep the peace, I'd get your kids into the habit of closing their doors, or you could put gates up to keep him out of those rooms. Try and find a way to give him some speciall attention -- something new maybe. Could you take him for a 15 minute leash walk on those days your schedule has changed?

We went for a long walk last night and my daughter didn't sleep in my bed last night so he could. Everything was fine today.

I think it is the combination of things--- he has been getting dismissive of recall lately too. He may be going through his "I never had a chance to do it" puppy/teen experience.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

If your routine is changed around, that could certainly be part of it. I only have one chewer, and he's 11 months old (and not nearly as bad as you're describing). I am a light sleeper- no way would a dog even walking around be tolerated by me at night. They have to sleep soundly in my bed with me, or they go in a crate, or else I'd never sleep. Luckily, my dogs are all as lazy as I am ;) so that is no problem.

Guest 4dogscrazy

You say you aren't crating him when you leave? An experiment? Any change to the routine will throw them off. He may very well be bored, or testing the limits, or he may be a little anxious with his new found freedom. Or even all three! Can you muzzle him? Or am I remembering he gets the muzzle off and chews it up? I gate mine in the bedroom with me at night, night time wandering is always trouble.

Guest DragonflyDM

Not crating him is new as well.

My Ex-inlaws did it a few weeks back and I thought I would try. He has been good during the day.

He does get out of muzzles easy.. And he will eat the hard plastic ones

And boomah is always sequestered to the bedroom with me at night...

Change in routine can certiainly change a dog's behaviors - just a "try this" behavior on the dog's part as a reaction. Throw in a little more exercise. That NEVER hurts. Even mental stimulation like training in the house for 15 minutes. I wouldn't worry too much about it - just take precautions (put suff up, close doors) until it's settled in.

Guest SoulsMom

Heck it can happen even after they've been home for years. No change in routine but Soul decided yesterday to pull the kitchen rug under the babygate and into the game from with him :blink: