Awaiting A Biopsy Report

Guest cashie

Guest cashie

My 11 year old, Cash, recently had x-rays and they found a large tumor in his left distal radius. He had a bone biopsy two days later which was sent to MSU and I am now awaiting the results. I am trying to do as much research as possible to be prepared for the worse, but I am not any closer to making a decision. I would love to prolong his life but am worried about how he will recover from such a major surgery (he had a rough time just bouncing back from the biopsy procedure.) It seems the amputation/chemo route involves many trips to the vet and he has terrible anxiety every time he goes there. What kind of quality of life would he have if I put him through all that? Is that fair to him? On the other hand, I would be devastated to end his life without at least trying something. I'm in tears every time I look at him and imagine life without him. I know that some of you have had to make a choice similar to the one I may need to make (some of you many times) and I just wondered if any of you had any experience with having an older grey go through the amputation and chemo, and what your thoughts were on if you had to do it again.

Hopefully I will find out that my boy just has a nasty fungus and I won't need to chose. In the meantime, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Kelly

Guest bernadette

Kelly,

I am so sorry to hear this about your boy, Cash. Why did he have the xrays?

This board is a wealth of information, many positive thoughts to you.

We recently lost our 10 1/2 year old to Osteo. He had two primary tumors, so he wasn't a candidate for amputation, but he handled five rounds of chemotherapy like a champ.

He was terrified of the vet, so I worried about all those visits. We were in at least once a week for four months. But it turned out he LOVED the cancer center we used, so he was never scared there. There were two vet techs he liked to flirt with and who made a big fuss over him, so he liked going to see his girls. We fought it until we knew the pain meds couldn't take him any further and had four really great months.

I really hope you won't be faced with those kinds of decisions.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest cashie

Thank you for all of your kind words:) My heart goes out to those of you that have been through this.

Bernadette-He was limping for about a week and it got worse instead of better.

Vjgrey-were you concerned about fractures during that time? Just seeing how destructive the tumor has already been has turned me into a very protective Mommy!

I was told that a fracture was going to happen. I was told that a fracture was very painful and that bone cancer was also very painful. The day my Grey started limping I took him to the vet. She thought it was a slipped disk and put him on tramadol. Five days later I took him back because he was no better. She sent us to Charleston and they were going to do an MRI. They only x-rayed his leg and found the bone cancer. Pain meds were not helping him at all and I was giving him much more and more often than was prescribed. I thought he had hurt long enough and called the vet.

Vjgrey-were you concerned about fractures during that time? Just seeing how destructive the tumor has already been has turned me into a very protective Mommy!

It was definitely a concern, but he had three sets of x-rays in those four months, and his oncologist said that, while of course they can never say for sure, it didn't look like a break was imminent. Totally understand about the "protective Mommy."

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

We went the pain management route when our almost ten year old Bee Wiseman was diagnosed with osteo last summer. We were stunned and saddened by the diagnosis in our outgoing, vibrant girl.

If amputation could have cured her of cancer, we would have gone that route. It couldn't, so we didn't.

We managed her pain, as best we could, for eight weeks. Bee had time and the energy for many fun adventures in those eight weeks: a Dewey Beach trip, a tenth birthday bash with 25 greyhounds and their people, swimming, a camping trip in our RV, visiting with her many two and four-legged friends, enjoying ice cream and steak dinners. She was lively and happy until the end. We have never second guessed the choices we made on her behalf.

Thinking all good thoughts for Cash. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Good luck with the x-rays. Let us know the result, ok?

Phoenix was diagnosed with osteo a year ago and I let him go 1.5 weeks later. Like 45MPHK9, I may have taken a different route if it would have cured the cancer, but since there isn't a cure, I just cared about keeping him pain free. Breaking a leg was a huge concern, which was part of the reason I let him go so soon after diagnosis.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Kelly, I am very sorry to read of Cash diagnosis. The decision you make for your pup is a very personal one as it is very difficult. I believe there may have been a few people who have gone the amputation route with a senior pup however there are a lot of things to consider especially at that age. Yes there are repeated vet visits for chemo treatment if you choose to do this in addition to amputation. The amputation alone is to remove the pain, that is all it does. The chemo is to try kill any cancer cells that may have spread as it's likely to have somewhere in their bodies. This option has no guarantees as Osteo is a terminal disease unfortunately. The decision is whether you can emotionally and financially handle amp & chemo as well as whether Cash is a good candidate. You know your pup best and if Cash suffers from other ailments that inhibit/reduce his mobility then the amp & chemo option is likely not one. Going the palliative care route is another option and pups can have some good quality time this way if you can manage their pain as that is key. Some pups have survived for months this way and have been relatively happy up until the end when a decision must be made due to the pain.

I know not the answer you are seeking. Personally I would be very hesitant to go with amp & chemo for an 11 year old pup. My concern would be their age and how much time I could give my pup at that age. I am a believer in amp & chemo but only if all the conditions make sense. Again this is your decision and my heart breaks for you as it is very very difficult. The most important thing to remember is you love Cash, he loves you and you will make the best decision for him no matter what it is.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest cashie

Thanks to all of you for sharing. Its so nice to be able to hear from others that have had some experience with this.

We still do not have the biopsy report back. Meanwhile, Cash is enjoying the extra attention he is getting as well as the meatballs I made for him. He seems to be in good spirits, just a little tired. He is still limping pretty bad even with the Tramadol he is taking. I give him 2 50mg tablets every 12 hours, is that a lot? It used to be our routine to go for a walk after I got home from work and he still greets me at the door everyday with his ears perked up. I tried taking him a few times but he gets about 10 feet from our driveway and then stops and rests his head against my hip. It breaks my heart because I know how excited he gets when I grab his leash (he does his little happy dance) but then I can tell he is struggling and is in pain.

• 1 month later...
Guest cashie

An update on Cash....

The biopsy report came back 2 weeks later as "inconclusive." The lab suggested that we do another biopsy and get a deeper sample, but my vet and I reviewed the xrays taken after the biopsy and he was definitely right in the middle of the tumor. I decided against putting him through that ordeal again since my vet said that drilling another hole in his leg would leave it so unstable we would have to amputate for sure. My vet felt certain that even without the confirmation of the biopsy report Cash definitely has Osteo. I have thought long and hard about what would be best for him, and after many sleepless nights and tons of tears I have decided against amp/chemo. A few weeks ago Cash developed a terrible eye infection and I had to take him in. My vet was so surprised at how well he was walking and at how slowly the tumor was growing. He said he expected it to be as big as a golf ball and it wasn't that much bigger than the last time he saw him. We talked at length about options and when I told him what I had decided he said he didn't say anything before because he really wanted it to be my choice, but if it was his dog he would choose palliative care.

So far he is doing well. He definitely sleeps a lot more. He is eating well and still has "good days" where he seems like his old silly self. Some days he greets me at the door when I come home, other times he's not there and I have to look for him. Yesterday I walked in the door and he was really excited to see me. I opened the closet door to put something away and he started jumping around (his leash is in there.) I asked him if he wanted to go outside and he ran right to the door. I let him out and he stood in the driveway like he used to when we would go for walks. I came out and put his leash on him thinking we could at least go to the end of the driveway and back, but every time I would ask him if he wanted to go home he kept pushing on. He made it all the way around the block, something he hasn't done since before the tumor. At first I was really sad watching him struggle so hard and I couldn't stop crying, but then I thought about what an accomplishment this was for him and how brave he was. I'm so proud of my baby, he's not going to let his stupid tumor stop him from doing what he loves to do anymore.

For now we will take it one day at a time, for as many days as we can have.

The lab will still have the samples and slides. Your vet will have to call the lab and ask them to either return the samples to them so you can send them out to Ohio state or the lab may send them directly with a provided address.

Did you fill out the consultation form on the ghwp website yet?

Edited to add- while Osteo seems likely there's other cancers that can met to the bone as well as other types of primary bone tumors-- it's a stretch but, it could be an infection or even fungal in nature. Did you do chest rads??

Edited by tbhounds

I'm so sorry you're going through this. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest cashie

Chest x-ray was done and clear of any tumors. I filled out the consultation form last night. My husband is going to pick up medication today, I will have him ask about the samples and have him get the xray file emailed to us so I can send that as well.

How far out does Dr. Couto schedule patients?

Thanks!:)

Guest cashie

I tried the pm function and it says I'm not allowed to use it. (?) I live about 5 1/2 hours away. I filled out a consultation form last night and have had two responses today. I'm impressed with them already!

I tried the pm function and it says I'm not allowed to use it. (?) I live about 5 1/2 hours away. I filled out a consultation form last night and have had two responses today. I'm impressed with them already!

You need 50 posts to PM.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

If you click on tbhounds you'll see my personal e-mail. If you decide to make the trip which I HIGHLY recommend I can help with hotel names, directions........ For the record I have been there many times-I drive.8 hours each way and many others here have driven much further.

Here it is just in case you can't find it-obviously remove the spaces. tracy 734 @ aol . com

Edited by tbhounds

I am local to OSU. We have several people here who help out-of-towners who come to OSU. You can write me at

finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

You should be able to get an appointment within a few days or a week. The vet for the Greyhound Health and Wellness program is Dr. Christine Kellogg. She only does greyhounds. You will also see someone in oncology. There are at least 8 oncologists. Dr. Couto travels a lot, so if it is important to you to see him, be sure to ask his schedule. He is in charge of oncology, hematology, and greyhound medicine.

Joe and I both loved Dr. Joelle Fenger. But really anyone there would be just fine.

Jane