Getting Nervous As They Age?

I'm still conflicted! Sorry this is so long

Rainy became part of our family when she was 4 years old. She just turned 8 last month. She has a 2/6 - 3/6 heart murmur and some environmental/diet related allergies. other than that she is as healthy as a horse. Loves her walks, meeting people, going to new places, chasing a lure pole, running in the yard, etc.

She's always been an unflappable rock in every situation. She 100% helped our nervous half spooky second pup that we brought home. I've had her at gun ranges, lived in questionable areas where gun shots, car backfiring, and fireworks were a typical occurrence in the ghetto.

Last July 4th we were traveling and the neighbors started shooting off fireworks and she freaked! Ironically my shy little girl was 100% calm and fine. The year before the dogs were in a n Xpen when the neighbors started shooting off a 12 gauge and we all just lounged eating string cheese. So a loud noise in that area isn't a new thing. It was so bad that I had to leash her inside because I thought she would go through a window. We spent hours on a bed leashed up and she just shook and shook and shook and panted. Chalked that up to a weird incident and moved on.

When we got back home she would spook and shake at any loud noise that happened outside. We were still living the ghetto and it was a common occurrence. She eventually with time and melatonin got a little better.

Then we moved! Both dogs had 0 adjustment period to the new place and walked in loving it. We travel just about every weekend 9 months of a year so both girls are very travel savvy ;)

Our new fireplace crackling sends Rainy into a panic. She howls, yips, pants, freaks out, etc. I've tried giving her some of the shy one's Xanax and it doesn't react well with her. She still gets freaked only is too drunk to maneuver around safely.

It's been a year since this has started. Friday night they were both in the outdoor dog kennel at the campground and someone started shooting off fireworks and she freaked. Didn't yip/howl for too long but panted paced and was bug eyed for well over an hour after the last bang went off. These are not loud noise occurrences that I can plan around. :(

Add in that about 6 months ago she started getting bug eyed and panting frantically in the car. We travel often and she has always panted and stood but it's been more excited rather than panicked. She now needs extra encourage ment and focusing to get her to jump into the car. She tries to avoid it, so she is not enjoying our car rides anymore.

We have a vet app on Saturday. I've tried using venison to help her overcome her fear of the crackling fireplace and I've gotten mixed results. She will be ok one day then loose her mind the next it seems. My gut says that I should probably talk to the vet about some medication for her... I'm big on having well adjusted socialized relaxed dogs. Anxiety is a horrible thing to have to deal with every day.

Then in the back of my mind there is a voice going "You already have 1 dog on meds for the rest of her life most likely, am *I* causing this somehow"

Am I crazy? Any suggestions on what I should tell the vet? I'm planning on having bloodwork done with some thyroid checking. Should we explore some anxiety meds? Or give it more time to see if she straightens out? It's already been almost a year... Is this a normal part of aging for some greyhounds? She sure doesn't act old...

------

Jessica

That doesn't sound like normal aging to me. But something has changed. Hormone levels do change over the lifespan, so checking the thyroid is a very good idea. With dogs already on thyroid medicine, they may need less as they age. (We recently cut our 11-year-old's dose in half after running a complete panel.)

As to what you should tell the vet, what you wrote here seems like a good thing to print out and give to him. Personally, I have no fear of "meds for life" and don't really understand why others do, but I think it has something to do with the era in which we're raised. Best wishes in getting it sorted out for both your sakes.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

She is not on Thyroid meds. Years ago her T4 was at 1.4 ish, if I remember correctly. She hasn't had any other signs of thyroid issues, but I really hope it's that! Sunshine is on thyroid meds and it helps her.

So I should take a urine sample too? Never thought of that! Thanks! Her heart murmur was a 2/6 then last year this new vet graded it at a 3/6, but Rainy was really stressed during that exam so I'm not too worried. Can't I just wave a wand and have her be fixed right away?

------

Jessica

Obviously something has changed, so a complete exam (blood work, etc) would be my first step. I think printing out what you wrote in the first post (or rewriting it) and giving it to the vet to read should give him a pretty good idea on what has changed. Hope you can figure it out :bighug

Thanks! I think I will print and have the vet read, so I make sure I don't miss stuff. I'm the total note pad person at the vet but it's hard to juggle two dogs, two dog beds, pen, notepad, keys, string cheese for Miss Sunshine, etc I've given up on bringing a purse! LOL I just slip the credit card in my pocket. I need more hands! My goal this vet visit is to be unscattered. :thumbs-up

------

Jessica

Guest jettcricket

Thanks! I think I will print and have the vet read, so I make sure I don't miss stuff. I'm the total note pad person at the vet but it's hard to juggle two dogs, two dog beds, pen, notepad, keys, string cheese for Miss Sunshine, etc I've given up on bringing a purse! LOL I just slip the credit card in my pocket. I need more hands! My goal this vet visit is to be unscattered. :thumbs-up

Hey Jess....good thoughts for your pretty girlie.

Not so much for this visit, but for the long term: buy an inexpensive month-a-page calendar. Note day by day on the calendar when something is wrong--fireworks, noises, fireplace crackles, anything that triggers a problem. Note the time of day, and maybe record how recent her previous meal was and any strange event. You might be able to see a pattern, or maybe your vet will. At any rate, you'll have documentation of events and how often they happen.

(I had a problem with Sam and needed to track when he was/wasn't taking metronidazole and/or was having diarrhea. Marking it out on the calendar was helpful for me and the vet.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hate it when I lost a post before I even post it! :angryfire Let me try again.

Urinalysis may be a good idea to the extent that they look for things focused on kidney function, like specific gravity and presence of protein, rather than UTI-related stuff. Kidney function can decline with age, and my experience with two cats and one greyhound with kidney issues taught me that it can promote a more exaggerated startle response. (The vet confirmed that that was not my imagination.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Roadtripper

Wishing you luck that the vet will help you find answers & peace for your girl. My grey/GSD mix, Boojum, has developed some anxieties as he's gotten older, also sound-related (now hates squeaky toys, 2 liter bottles when they "pop" back into shape, & sometimes being in my car--if it's windy & I go a certain speed, my car whistles--it's weird & he hates it). I just ignore it--luckily he's not too bad & I don't want to inadvertently reinforce his fear.

I've just assumed his anxieties came more from his shepherd genes, but he has also been on thyroid for 2 years. Can thyroid levels affect anxiety? His vaccines are due next month so maybe I'll have the vet test his levels.

Good luck!

Amy

Ace used to be bomb-proof...I could take her anywhere...to fireworks shows, etc. but then one summer she was out in my backyard and the neighbors shot off some bottle rockets. They were so close to her that it spooked her. In the years that followed anytime she'd hear a sound that sounded like the crackle/pop of those bottle rockets, she would get agitated and start panting and shaking. The bottle rockets were much closer than the fireworks at big shows. Around 4th of July time, anytime I leave the house, I turn on the tv or a radio...between those and the noise of my window AC units, she can't hear the crackles outside. She's a bit better now than she was, but it's now been about 6 years since the original incident.

Is there any chance something like that has occurred, where something was closer than she's used to and it scared her?

Of course I'd also check the thyroid and check kidney function, but it is possible that something spooked her and that's all there is to it.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Bella was totally the opposite. She was always scared and shy - staying her closet and eating in the dark. I'd take her to Abilene and she'd do OK but hide under her brothers tuck ups. When she turned 10 she suddenly turned into Auntie Mame. She'd approach strangers tail wagging and beg my neighbors for treats. Go figure. Good luck with your girl.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Bella was totally the opposite. She was always scared and shy - staying her closet and eating in the dark. I'd take her to Abilene and she'd do OK but hide under her brothers tuck ups. When she turned 10 she suddenly turned into Auntie Mame. She'd approach strangers tail wagging and beg my neighbors for treats. Go figure. Good luck with your girl.

That's how Sunshine was! It was easy to work with her since everything set her off. Hopefully the vet can find something medical! How horrible does that sound?

I can't think of any situation in particular that would have freaked her out. Maybe it was so small that I missed it!

------

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

The vet ran a bunch of tests and everything was 100% normal and on par for a greyhound. her heart murmur is the same as it was last year. The vet was amazed at her teeth and said that we may very well NEVER need a dental. makes my wallet happy! She put her on 75mg of Amatriptalyn twice a day. It's been almost 2 weeks and as of Saturday she's still panicking at random fireworks. *fingers crossed* it help eventually. We go back to check point in 3 months.

------

Jessica

Guest DiforDan

Did they check her eyesight? My Pingu has PRA so has gradually gone more and more blind. He still sees a little in good light I'm sure but is blind indoors and from dusk onwards. I am sad to say he is becoming more startled by unexpected noises now, I put it down to his blindness, he used to be the most confident and outgoing boy.