New People-- Indoors Vs. Outdoors

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

Jack was badly treated when he raced in Ireland (and subsequently at a quasi-legal outfit in Scotland), so he was very timid around new people when I first adopted him. He's improved a lot, and now enjoys hanging out at local pubs and getting treats and scratches from people new and familiar. He will also cautiously approach other dog owners at the park if he's playing with their pups.

However, he does not like meeting new people when he's outdoors and on the lead, and will still back away as far as he can or hide behind my legs.

Anyone have any insight into why he is OK when he's out at a pub (even if it's a new place for him, and full of new people), but doesn't like meeting new people on the street? And any thoughts as to how I can help him be more confident when he's out and about on the lead?

I'm interested to see the resonses. Iker is the exact same way. Indoors is fine, outdoors is still a big, scary place.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Too much sensory input -- too much stuff to keep an eye on.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If they are on lead that 6 ft radius takes away their flight option. Sunshine is much better about meeting strangers when loose.

With time she's getting better. Sometimes I force her to let others pet her on lead and other times she's allowed to avoid. Depends on the person and the situation. Using a 8ft lead has also helped us. Gives her that extra 2 feet of room to back away without slipping her collar.

It's just going to take time and work! We are on summer number 3 with Sunshine. I'm amazed at her progress!

------

Jessica

How is he with people you know when he is on lead? Could you enlist some friends to approach with treats in hand? Either your hand or their's? So that he associates being on lead and people with really good outcomes?

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

On lead vs. off often does make a difference but one assumes these dogs are on lead inside too :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

People on the street walk with threatning random jerky limb movements like kids and gangly early teenagers.

Peggy doesn't like kids until they're about 14-15 and able to move more smoothly. It's all about anticipating what they will do next if you're a spook.

To add to what Batmom said in her first post, dogs are very situational. You might, for example, teach your dog to 'down' in the living room, and be unable to get the same behaviour in the yard.

Outside, people have more room to approach, probably looming and staring and maybe chattering. If you know the person, you could ask them to avoid eye contact and approach slowly quietly and sort of sideways (side-on instead of head-on) with hands dangling at their sides rather than reaching.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)