Jack's Heart Problems

Jack was diagnosed with a grade 3 heart murmur back in the Fall of 2011 and CHF. We took him in about a month ago to see the Cardiologist as he was having some issues and it turned out to be his heart was 'out of rhythm' but he was not in failure and had no liquid in his lungs. I don't recall the additional med he was prescribed but it definitely helped him a lot. He still has a funny beat to his heart though and we have found that his breathing has become more laboured and he pants more and we are thinking/hoping it's just the Spring heat/humidity. We have another Cardio appointment on Thursday morning as we want to make sure that things have not progressed since only a month ago. My question is for anyone who has had a pup with similar heart issues, did you find the Spring/Summer months to be worse on your pup? If so, what have you done during the warm months? If Jack is having issues now, we are very concerned about July/August when the heat and humidity gets real bad.

Tks.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest grey_dreams

My understanding is that dogs with heart disease are extremely sensitive to heat and humidity. They need to be kept indoors in a cool environment throughout much of the summer, if your summer weather is hot and humid. I have this concern too, because we are moving in two weeks from a very mild sea climate (Amsterdam) to a very hot and humid climate (St. Louis, MO). Zuki has mitral valve insufficiency, but no lung complications yet, and no one could guess he is ill (he doesn't show symptoms).

Guest grey_dreams

Here, we walk three times a day. In St. Louis, I plan to only walk them in the early morning and later evening. Mid-day, when it is hottest, they will only go out to the yard to do their business, but we won't go for a walk. I am also looking at other options for the two walks, like the collar that you can fill with cold water, and carrying a spray mister filled with cold water that I can use on their feet/belly to keep them cool. The change in climate is going to be an adjustment for both of them and my cat (and for me too), but I am most concerned about Zuki's response to the heat and humidity.

Yeah I am very concerned about Jack this summer. He is already feeling the affects with temperatures of 20c and humidity is around 70-80% so I can't imagine how he will handle 25-30c with 100% humidity. We have a 'portable' AC unit that helps to keep the house cool and that should help him but on the really hot days, it cannot keep up and we do not have central air. I have seen the 'jackets' for Greys that you soak in water and that helps keep their temperatures down somewhat.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

What about a doggie pool out back? I have two large ones for my 3 girls (you can see them in CRYSTAL's Remembrance thread). They go in all the time. I do end up with a wet dog in the house, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Also, what about another AC unit? The ones that you can roll around from room to room are getting cheaper and cheaper. I now have two (one's a dehumidifier too). I found that really helped my old lady and my girl with heart disease (different from the heart disease of your boy.)

What about a doggie pool out back? I have two large ones for my 3 girls (you can see them in CRYSTAL's Remembrance thread). They go in all the time. I do end up with a wet dog in the house, but that's a minor inconvenience.

Also, what about another AC unit? The ones that you can roll around from room to room are getting cheaper and cheaper. I now have two (one's a dehumidifier too). I found that really helped my old lady and my girl with heart disease (different from the heart disease of your boy.)

All good ideas Mary Pat. I did see the your doggy pools and thought they were a great idea. Not sure whether Jack will like them or not but I certainly worth a try. As for the second AC unit, this is the type we have now and a second may just be needed.

Guest Energy11

Poor baby boy Jack!

I know from my past experience as a Paramedic, and with my Dad, who had CHF and COPD, heat and, especially HUMIDITY, is very hard on these types of patients. I am relatively healthy, and I CANNOT take heat or humidity!

My dogs don't have Jack's problems, but, being all seniors, ages 10-11.7, I have seen increasing heat intolerance with them.

I would keep your boy as cool as possible, and in the AC at all times, except to potty. Maybe his own cool room with a window unit? And, keep his outside times SHORT.

Hugs coming his way, and praying for a cool summer! Boy, wouldn't that be nice for a change!

I keep a spray bottle in the fridge and use it to frequently mist the dogs down on the really hot days.

I also have some of those little 'neck coolers' that you wet down with cold water.

Pools are also a really good way to keep them cool.

BillieJean our Bridge GSD loved her pool.

Nixon hates it. Not sure about Ruby & Nigel.

Hope Jack's appointment goes well.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

All good ideas Mary Pat. I did see the your doggy pools and thought they were a great idea. Not sure whether Jack will like them or not but I certainly worth a try. As for the second AC unit, this is the type we have now and a second may just be needed.

Kyle, you know we have an indoor pool here when the temps get really ugly. Just being able to stand in the cool water helps my guys who have trouble in the heat.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest IHeartDogs

I don't have any advice, just wanted to send sweet Jack healing thoughts and prayers, I hope it's just the weather and Lynn gets positive news at the vet.