Fencing

Guest BooneTia

We have a 6ft privacy fence but I would prefer an 8 ft! Lol Sunshine is a fence hopper. I've always preferred chain link and more open fences, but I have to admit I think I love the privacy fence! Makes it very peaceful out there

------

Jessica

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Another vote for vinyl-coated chain link. I live on a corner lot and wanted something attractive for the street side of the yard so I had that side done in 'wrought' iron (really it's aluminum made to look like wrought iron). Then I have two sides of the chain link and the house on the fourth side. I also wanted something that wouldn't prevent sunlight from getting to my flowers. I went with the 5 foot high fencing. Never had a problem with snow, even when my awful neighbors shoveled all of their driveway snow into it. I even had the fence guy measure Aaron's head to make sure he couldn't put it through the bars (HA - he was so accommodating). That was before Miri came. She's so much smaller and is able to get her head between, but it hasn't been an issue.

078.jpg

• 9 months later...
Guest TheModernMutt

I'm resurrecting this thread because I have questions.

Our yard is fenced with old style chain link, meaning its been here since the 70's when the house was built. It's 4' in most places, but in one or two areas it's as low at 3.5'. We have plans to replace it with wood privacy fence over the summer however.

Those of you with chain link, how many times has your dog jumped it? Or has it not been an issue?

The good thing is that the low spots are in places that adjoin our neighbors yard, so if one were to jump it, they wouldn't end up very far. The direct access to the road is fenced with 5' fencing that was replaced when the house was remodeled.

Edited by TheModernMutt

It has not been an issue. I have 4 ft. chain link circa 1953 when the house was built. In 10 years, 4 greys and several fosters not one has ever even attempted to go over the fence. I could say it was because except for my spooky girl they have all been big boys, who I think are less likely to jump, but I've also had female and smaller male fosters.

If the low spots go into your neighbors yard I wouldn't worry. It depends on the dog - you never know. I adopted out a 7 year old broodie named Abita Stacey in Lubbock who was quite the challenge. She could climb the corner of the 6' privacy fence and be sitting on the front porch in the time it took her owner to walk through the house and open the door. She never did it at my house when I was fostering her, only at her forever home.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My dogs have never gone over the 4 ft chain link, but other neighborhood dogs have jumped into my yard. This could have ended badly but fortunately there were no fights... they were familiar and just came to play with my dogs.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

My dogs have never gone over the 4 ft chain link, but other neighborhood dogs have jumped into my yard. This could have ended badly but fortunately there were no fights... they were familiar and just came to play with my dogs.

:lol Yep. Two different chow mix neighbors used to climb their fences, climb my fence and come in through my dog door during storms. Blackie across the alley would just sleep in the kitchen then let himself out and go home when the storm was over. Angel would hop in bed with me, soaking wet at 4 a.m. Blackie could see my dogs come in and out but I never figured out how Angel figured out she could come in through the dog door. Sort of makes you believe in twilight barking....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Thanks for all the ideas! I think I'll go with a 5 foot. Boone doesn't jump as far as I know, but future greys might. I'm looking :rolleyes: I think one section of my yard that connects to my covered patio will be enough room to romp. Now to decide what material to use.... huh.gif BTW to those who have mentioned weather conditions, I live in the Laurel Highlands of Pa., so drifting snow will be an issue to consider.

Hi! We're from Greensburg, so you're not too far at all. Unfortunately, fences in this area are NOT cheap. I have a 4 foot chain link fence (not vinyl coated, but a higher quality rust-proof metal), and it was $1600 back in July 2010. Our yard isn't very big either, one rectangular city lot (100 ft. x 20 ft.). I would've loved one of those vinyl privacy fences, but it would've been $5000+ :(

Tell your husband that an invisible fence is a bad idea for multiple reasons. They usually don't keep a sighthound in, to begin with. A dog with prey drive will chase no matter what. My coursing Grey suffered a bad foot injury a few months ago running Best in Field at a coursing event and kept going. Also, if they do cross the fence and get shocked what would make them want to cross it again, and get shocked again, to get back into the yard? You will have a loose dog on your hands. Lastly, strange dogs can come into your yard and that could be an issue. What if a dog walked into the yard and attacked your grey? Incidents like that have happened numerous times. :(

I have a 6' chain link fence. It isn't the prettiest thing but it is functional and it keeps the hounds in. When I put it up I had a Dalmatian, Greyhounds, and a Galgo and I knew that in the future I would want other sighthounds. I now have Ibizans, Greyhounds, and a Galgo and constant sighthound visitors. Incidentally, the only dog to ever jump my 6' fence was a senior Greyhound brood mom. :rolleyes: Go figure.

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

I have a 6 ft wooden fence in my (very small) yard, but I often visit my parents who have a combination of 6 feet to 4 feet chain link. Teague would not even think of trying to jump it. I am guessing if any grey would jump (some do), it would be more likely the smaller, lighter females. Karma, my little forty pound dog used to easily clear a 6 foot fence when I first got her and she had bad SA.

Edited by RedHead

Guest greytone

We have livestock wire fencing with wood post and a few t-posts. My Freddie is 12 and doesn't have any ambition to jump in. We got our fencing, posts, and gates from Fleet Farm for $800.

Guest AngelPup
I have a 5' black-coated chain link fence all around my back yard. Which would make me nuts with the lack of privacy except down both sides I also have 12' super-thick cedar hedges. At the back, I have custom made 7' lattice with vines growing on them. So, really, I only lose my privacy in the winter when the vines drop their leaves.

If I didn't have a fence and was making a fence decision, I would love those southern US cinderblock fences/walls. But we don't have those up here where they'd be exposed to the freeze/thaw cycle. So my 2nd choice would be a 6' wood privacy fence.

Here's the rear lattice and you can also see the chain link fence through it.

DSC00402.jpg

I LOVE the look of that lattice! Did you have it made or did you make it yourself? We will be putting up a 5' black chain link in our backyard this spring. There is a section that has a bolder that is 1/2 on our property and 1/2 on our neighbor's property. The 5' fence will only be about 2' above the rock and I've been thinking a lattice might do the trick to prevent our future dog from hopping over it.