Aggressive Playing With Toys

Guest Ummon

Guest Ummon

So Royal Fawn joined my family today after a grueling trip up from Orlando FL. She "seems" a bit rambunctious. As she was exploring the house she stepped on one of Ace's (another grey) squeaky toys and proceeded to go nuts. To put it bluntly she ripped the hell out of it even though her muzzle. The voracity she went after it was to be honest a little scary. After a bit in the crate (which she didn't like) she seemed to calm down. I am not sure she is high prey drive or if she was given squeaky toys at the track to play with. Does anyone have any insight?

Relax :) . Toys are fun! Great way for a dog to get his/her ya-ya's out, no relation to prey drive AT ALL :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have no idea about prey drive but it just sounds like she loves to play :). Now you know the term "stuffy killer" : lol. You will want to buy some cheap toys and also get a kong. It will keep her busy.

Have fun with her! Day one and having the confidence to play is a good sign :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I had Royal Fawn, in the pet kennel at Sanford Orlando, before the hauler picked her up. She was very playful and tried to get the other females, in the turnout pen, to play. Some of the other girls were not too happy with her but, I thought she was absolutely adorable.

Kathy

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

actgreyhounds@cfl.rr.com

You have a stuffie killer! Some dogs play gently with their toys and have the same ones for years. Others find much more delight in pulling the stuffing out of a toy than in snuggling with it. Your girl sounds like the latter. :lol It doesn't necessarily mean that she's high prey. They know the difference between a toy and a live animal.

Search the clearance bins at pet stores for things like after-season holiday themed toys. Also try the stuffed toy section at the Goodwill, but make sure you get rid of glass eyes or pieces that might be pulled off and swallowed before giving them to her. You don't want to invest big money in toys that will be immediately killed. For more durable toys that will last a while try Kongs or Cuz toys.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Some dogs just LOVE toys - and destroy them quickly. If she's not being aggressive to you or other dogs when she's doing it - I see no problem at all. I certainly wouldn't crate her for being happy! If she IS aggressive - rid the house of toys until the dog settles in. No reason to cause conflict in the first days.

Toy enjoyment and prey drive are NOT related at all.

I'm pretty sure she didn't have squeaky toys to play with at the track - that's just not done. My guess is - she found something fun that she's never experienced before - and had a BLAST with it. I'd say you're very lucky - lots of greys straight off the track take a LONG time to figure out how to play. Or what the purpose of a toy IS! Sounds like you got a playful one! Enjoy it!

Oh - you might want to check out your local salvation army store, and yardsales. You'll be going through toys on a weekly basis now, and dog toys get PRICEY. Used chidren's stuffed animals served the same purpose just as well. Big ones are great! Just watch for the eyes - some dogs eat them. I chopped the plastic eyes off stuffed toys before giving to one of my greys. Creepy looking - but a 50 cent yard-sale stuffed bear and a 9 dollar petstore toy got destroyed just the same. ;)