Deramaxx Shortage

I just tried to reorder Deramaxx and learned that Novartis halted production of it in January? What is everyone doing/substituting? I knew about Novartis halting production of Interceptor, which we don't use, but I was unaware of them not making Deramaxx right now. :angryfire TIA

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

There are other NSAIDs- previcox, rimadyl, Metacam.....

Have you tried any of those? My girl is taking every other day Deramaxx as part of her metronomic chemo protocol so I can't switch-- luckily I have plenty.

Edited by tbhounds

Jan, I think I have some at home that I could send you since it was the afghans using it and they are gone now. Let me know and I am happy to send it to you. Also I was ordering it from a vet in CA. I will check and see if he has any in stock.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

We have not yet tried the other NSAIDS but it looks as tho we will be discussing them. *Thx*

Sharon, please, that would be awesome. When you have time ;) *Thx*

edited to include gratitude :blush

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We've had good results with Metacam.

Novartis is also not producing Sentinel. It's had a plant shut due to problems with human meds, apparently. There are shortages here of both human and animal pain meds; not sure if it's only due to Novartis.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Jan, Metacam has been a staple here and we've treated our dogs successfully throughout the years for varying injuries, illnesses, etc. Hope you can find a good substitute for the Deramaxx.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest LindsaySF

Novartis stopped production of several meds. Interceptor and Deramaxx are the most common, but there are others.

We've always used Rimadyl (Carprofen) here without issue.

We've had good results with Metacam.

Novartis is also not producing Sentinel. It's had a plant shut due to problems with human meds, apparently. There are shortages here of both human and animal pain meds; not sure if it's only due to Novartis.

That's just what my vet told me too about the plant issue a couple of weeks ago -- presumably temporary. I think he recommended Metacam (he found some extra Deramaxx at a higher dose I could split in two to tide me over for the time being).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

We use Metacam here. The advantage (other than price and effectiveness) is that it's a human medication and a generic, so hopefully it will be less vulnerable to supply shortages.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.