Need Advice (And Prayers)

Nico, our 8 year old grey, recently developed a soft tissue mass the size of a cherry tomato near his right hock. It was squishy, but adherent to the underlying tissues, so I knew it wasn't good. Discussion with an surgeon who specializes in oncology revealed that she suspects it is either a hemangiosarcoma or a spindle cell sarcoma. (aspiration yielded blood). Today, Nico underwent surgery to remove the mass.

The surgeon found that while the outer portion of the tumor was encapsulated, the deeper portion was adherent to the scar tissue from his old broken hock. She thinks that is the origin of the tumor and that it has been brewing for a while. She took the dissection all the way down to bone. The bad part, she said, is that there is now no tissue in which to implant chemotherapy beads. We were hoping to avoid radiation therapy.

The surgeon suspects that this tumor will respond well to radiation therapy. The hard part, she says, is that the dog has to lie still for 15 min/session and therefore has to be sedated. The regimen is 5 days/week x 4 weeks.

Does anyone have experience with RT? How does the dog do with the repeated sedations as well as any side effects of the RT?

We do not have a definitive diagnosis yet...biopsy report will take 5 days or so.

I am devastated. I knew it was bad, but this was beyond what I was expecting. Please say a prayer for Nico. He's such an affectionate goof who is a beautiful athlete, but doesn't know it. He brings a smile to everyone who meets him and is such a good ambassa-dog for the greyhound community. DH and I love him dearly.

Take a deep breath and wait for the biopsy results before establishing a game plan. I would also suggest you run all of this (including the biopsy report) by Dr Couto and staff at Ohio Stste before you proceed with anything.

Edited to add-Nico sounds like a lovely boy and I wish you all the best. Fingers crossed for a benign biopsy report!!

Edited by tbhounds

Please find the link to the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness website in the first post of the Osteo Thread. Go there and use the Consultation Form to submit all the info you have, including digital radiographs, blood work, any lab tests and the results of the FNA. They are really wonderful vets who are knowledgable about all forms of canine cancer and they can help and advise you as you move forward.

You might also consider IV chemo, instead of radiation or the chem beads. Not sure how effective it is on his type of cancer though.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

This is only my opinion, but I'd get a consult with OSU and before I'd do RT I would consider amputating the leg assuming the progress is good overall. Was it a nerve sheath tumor? If not, what kind? How long for the path report to come back.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Contact OSU plus I would also contact Colorado State University's Animal Cancer Center's free consult service. http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/consult-service They offer consults for both pet owners & vets. When I was losing my mind over Stellaluna it was CSU who responded first & in more detail.

Mind you, Luna was a GH mix & OSU was overrun with requests at the time. I mean no slight to OSU.

Guest Fasave

You might also consider IV chemo, instead of radiation or the chem beads. Not sure how effective it is on his type of cancer though.

Good luck.

Definitely look into this with consult from OSU. I know of a couple of dogs who had great success with this protocol. Way cheaper AND easier on the pup if it is a type of cancer that responds to this treatment. Many, many vets don't know about this protocol. I'm in Boston with some of the best veterinary facilities in the world and my friend had to travel to Rhode Island to find a vet willing to administer the treatment. I believe the treatment is called F5U (or FU5). If I remember correctly, the cost for radiation is around $4,000 and this treatment is around $800. Also, it's four injections, two weeks apart under light sedation with minimal side effects.

Good luck.

Definitely look into this with consult from OSU. I know of a couple of dogs who had great success with this protocol. Way cheaper AND easier on the pup if it is a type of cancer that responds to this treatment. Many, many vets don't know about this protocol. I'm in Boston with some of the best veterinary facilities in the world and my friend had to travel to Rhode Island to find a vet willing to administer the treatment. I believe the treatment is called F5U (or FU5). If I remember correctly, the cost for radiation is around $4,000 and this treatment is around $800. Also, it's four injections, two weeks apart under light sedation with minimal side effects.

Think your confusing IV chemo vs intradermal injections

Regardless- protocol is going to depend on the path results.

I have no advice to give, but wanted to add my positive thoughts and prayers for you, your DH and your special boy during this time...

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

Thank you, everybody, for the good wishes and sound advice. Funny how things look better in the morning after a night's sleep. DH and I have decided to wait for the biopsy and contact Dr. Couto at OSU for a second opinion. We want what is best for Nico, and feel he is a fighter and is still a relatively young, healthy lad with many more years left with us.

On a cheerier note, we got to bring him home today! He looked a little groggy and drunk when we picked him up :wacko: . Clearly, he was stressed: he drank two full bowls of water when we got him home!! Our other grey, Frappuccino, was beside herself with joy when he came home.

We are looking forward to pampering and spoiling him this weekend! :wub: Thanks again and I will let you all know what the biopsy results are!!

Guest twoskinnydogs

OSU is a greyt idea, Toby is undergoing chemo for the exact same thing. Dr.C started him on an agressive protocol and I am happy to say that Toby's cancer has not progressed.