Why Does He Whine?

Over the past few months Harold has been whining. Only in the late afternoon/early evenings.

He pants, although he is not in pain.

He's had his dinner and done his regular poop.

He's had enough activity to keep him busy. We'll walk around the back yard because he stresses if we go for a walk down the street.

He's laying down comfortably now and is whining, just loud enough so I can hear him.

He could be bored. He is always begging for another treat which hubby will give him but I usually don't.

Sometimes I begin to lose my patience and tell him to go to bed, which he does and then pouts.

He'll behave this way whether it's cold or hot out. right now the temperature is comfortable.

He's 13.

Would any of this be symptom's of Sundowners syndrone? If so do you have any info on it?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest IrskasMom

I have no Clue what it could be and no Advice . Heard of Sundowners Syndrome but know nothing about it. Give him some extra gentle Hugs from me :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest Energy11

I would guess Sundowners. I have an aunt with Alziehmers who has this, and my step dad, who also had Alzheimers, behaved strangely at night.

My Goldie, 11, definitely has it! She starts whining, pacing, panting HEAVILY, etc. around 8 p.m. We used to use Valium for her, but I think she developed a tolerance. Now, we use Melatonin, 3 mg, at 8 p.m., and another at 11 p/.m. when she goes out for her last pee. Sometimes, NOTHING works. Just depends on the night. We have nights when she will stare at the ceiling and cry. We have nights where she will wander from room to room. We have nights where she will act like a puppy and run through the house ... I am sure it is Sundowners, and that she has CCD, "Doggie Alzheimers."

During her episodes, Goldie likes to be talked to, and pet gently ... we lose a lot of sleep with this one, but she is worth it.

Good Luck! Sending love and a huge hug your way! Dee

http://willmydoghateme.com/dog-health/canine-cognitive-dysfunction-a-vet-explains

boredom?

needs a good walk, just for fun to tucker him out?

habbit? once they start it's hard to break

doggie dimentia is a totally different thing; they can't settle, get their days and nights mixed up, some piss in their beds- not accidents just stand there and pee, confusion in getting outside, getting lost in the yard. if you think any of those signs are starting to show, watch. but your dog can just need a good exhausting walk, at 13 it shouldn't take that long.

This has been gradually building up for the past month. Nothing different outside or in the house. Taking him for an exercise walk has always stressed him so we just play in the backyard.

From 4pm to 8pm is when Harold is "different". When it's time for last potty and bedtime he's fine and settles down to sleep through the night.

Like I said, Harold is 13. He was a 3 or 4-time bounce who's been with us for a year. He's shown none of the behavioral issues that got him bounced.

I think I'll try giving him some treats from 4-8pm when he's not whiny to see if he was just still hungry.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My boy Bart gets anxious when it is close to last turn-out and bedtime (usually 9:30-10). About 8:45pm he will start to pant wherever he is laying. Then around 9:15 or so he will get up and pace around the house, occasionally getting a few drinks of water. If you should not get up and tell him to go outside, he will stand by the back DOGGIE DOOR and whine at you until you get up and clap your hands once and tell everyone "outside". Yes, there is a doggie door, and yes at last turnout I have to tell them to go outside. Bart is a primadonna!

I say all this because maybe with the clock change last month and days getting longer, schedules may have changed slightly and your hound is a bit out of whack. Just a thought.

Chad

Thirteen is a fabulous age.

Whining is a very definite way of communicating.

And as we get older, we tend to 'whine' about a lot more things. Our family, our food, our friends - there's nothing we won't have something to say about.

You do want to make sure it's not something medical by consulting with your vet, getting some blood work done, etc.

If you're near Leesburg, VA, May 11 - 13, do come hear my talk - When I am Older at Grapehounds. Lots of incredible information, giveaways, and I guarantee a good time. But I'd leave the 13 year old at home. :)

If you can't make the talk, I have information and a booklet on my web site - When I am Older.

This essay is up now on Greyhound Gang's web site - When I am Older. Lots of information about what you can do to help your hounds age well and in good health.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!