Were Can My Greys Run Free And Safe?

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

I have read a lot of post's on dog parks and had my own bad experience at one with Beckett. Beckett was ok but another owner was not and kept trying to make something out of nothing. So I cancelled my membership but am now with a different dilemma. Where can I i let me run safely and not have it be illegal? I very much enjoy watching them run as both of them hate being behind the other its like having my own mini race. I've seen some people mention baseball diamonds but wouldn't have a clue how to set that up. So any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Check your local college campus--I found a sand volleyball court w/15' fences. Use it at 9am on Saturdays and you virtually guarantee you won't be keeping the students away.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

We take ours to the baseball fields. We don't set anything up we just go up there on off times when there is no practice. Just make sure that all the gates shut and they can't get out any other way. I have also heard of people taking their dogs to the tennis courts.

Image removed, not within the Greytalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 20.27 KB (20,760 bytes) file size.

Guest IndyHound

I took mine to a tennis court once and she ripped up her pads running on the concrete

I was afraid that would happen to mine if I took them there. Which is why I ended up trying the dog park. Which ended up being an epic failure.

I also like baseball fields but the ones around here have signs up that say "No Pets Allowed" so I go only when baseball is over the season late in the fall. I don't blame the fields for not wanting dogs on them. Running dogs dig up the infield, and if they poop, there is almost no way to pick up every last bit of feces. I wouldn't want my child playing on a field where dogs have left behind poop.

Here in the UK, local authority-owned schools are paranoid for health and safety reasons over you letting your dogs run on their playing fields at any time. With mine you can say that you never go there at times when the kids need to be using it, you can say you carry a bunch of bags and always pick up, but it cuts no ice and always comes down to trespass. It's mad because it is us tax payers who pay for the stupid fields in the first place. Just makes me object automatically to amy plans they might have.

That just leaves the option of sneaking in outside of school hours, or maybe getting freindly with a local farmer who doesn't have barbed wire around his field. We do have certain dog-freindly beaches within 30 minute drive, though fewer of them after Easter.

I sense a business opportunity here for farmers with well-placed fields to charge dog owners a certain amount per year and make more money than they ever could out of growing crops or sheep and cattle. Trouble is it would need to be well fenced to keep travellers caravans out and also monitored to stop unauthorised use.

I, and others like me would LOVE to have somewhere safe and legal to run our Greys.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Well, if you want to take a trip down to Terre Haute, we can have some fun races (maybe meet up at the Covered Bridge festival this year in Bridgeton). I will bring my three and you can have your two. My wife has family there and there are a few baseball fields fenced in, as well as one of her Uncle's companies has a huge fenced in area for their company fleet vehicles.

There is a ball diamond about 15 miles from home that is totally fenced. No signs posted about animals. I go early Sunday mornings when people are in church or still asleep. I'm afraid to ask someone and be told "no" so I just make sure my girls have pottied before we go in (and of course I pick up after them).

My goal is for them to have a greyt run and nobody to see us.

B):gh_run2:gh_run:gh_runnerB)

Edited by june

Any fenced in field will do.

Just go early. And obviously--clean up (although when we were children, people didn't freak out if you stepped in dog poop the way they do today--you scraped it off your shoe and carried on) after your dog.

I feel like I live in a very dog intolerant area, but honestly? At 6 AM, who is going to know if I'm using their "no dogs allowed" field? And what's the worst thing that's going to happen? You'll be asked to leave, and you'll go!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It's mad because it is us tax payers who pay for the stupid fields in the first place.

It makes us mad too. We pay for the fields and get no say in how they get to be used. I can understand the dog faeces thing, really I can, though as someone said, nobody freaked out if they stepped in dog poop when we were kids, and I'd really like to know how frequent toxocariasis really is, and if it's on the increase. If it is, these rules ain't working anyway. But what I really don't understand is why even the open plan kind are off limits to children during the holidays. I mean, how crazy is that?

I, and others like me would LOVE to have somewhere safe and legal to run our Greys.

Well, I'm much too far away to be any use to you, but for my little Facebook group (it's mostly for the people who've adopted from Brambleberry Greyhounds but it's an open group) I have just begun arranging fun runs at a race kennel near where I live. We have the choice of two large (fully fenced) fields, the gallop and a circular training lure thing - not sure what it's actually called! Also, and just as valuable, the expertise and assistance of the kennel staff, including the guy who looks after the physical well-being of the dogs. He was extremely useful the first time out when one of the dogs ran splat into a metal fence. She was fine apart from a scraped toe and eyelid, but got a very thorough 'physical' and a massage, free of charge.

Maybe you could look into arranging something of the sort down your way? Once you've found a kennel willing to let you use their field, it's easy to set up a FB page, or you could simply mention to your local adoption people what you intend to you and ask them to refer anyone interested to you. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Maybe you could look into arranging something of the sort down your way? Once you've found a kennel willing to let you use their field, it's easy to set up a FB page, or you could simply mention to your local adoption people what you intend to you and ask them to refer anyone interested to you. :)

That sounds like a Plan to go for. You can only put up with skulking around for so long. And what really riles me is that they think they can treat dog owners as second-class citizens and get away with it.

Just a note of warning about the tennis courts. We watched our last greyhound skid, fall and require stitches. We felt awful because we had never even thought that he would slip because he couldn't get traction. So if you want to let them run on tennis courts check the type of court.

Edited by dee

the town next to boston has a series of city-owned, giant fenced in dog parks than can be used on a membership basis. however, ive stopped taking my dog to large fenced in areas. i know its fun for him, but the instant he knows he's off leash, he takes a couple prancing strides, feels the freedom, and just absolutely bolts. however, for obvious reasons, this is not the response to being off leash that i want to condition into him. so its going ot be a long while, and a lot of recall training, before i let him go in an environment like that again. otherwise i feel like im just training him to think its ok to sprint away and disregard my recalls.

Edited by jaym1