Vommiting After Eating

Guest IndyHound

Guest IndyHound

I wrote a post a while back about this issue. And after trying everything suggested nothing changed. Goldie will swallow her food whole, she'll chew some but mostly just try and swallow as much as she can as fast as she can. She'll then run to a secluded part of the house and vomit it all up. She'll begin to eat it again chewing this time but mostly does the same thing and will vomit it up again. Last night I noticed that some of the sputum coating the food was bright red. So beyond the worry of bloat Im now worried that shes hurting her throat vomiting so much. I've talked to the vet and nothing she mentioned has helped either. Any ideas how i can get her to slow down? So far Ive tried feeding them separately, A ball in her food bowl. Feeding her in her crate, wetting her food, mixing in wet food with dry (this was a disaster weeks of diarrhea)And now I'm fresh out of ideas.

Guest IndyHound

Hand feeding for a bit? Or smaller meals more frequently?

If i touch her food in any way while she's eating she eats even faster.

Hand feeding for a bit? Or smaller meals more frequently?

If i touch her food in any way while she's eating she eats even faster.

Hmmm. What about teaching/training with her kibble? Paw, sit, stay, look at me, leave it.

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

We took the path of least resistance with Spencer on this issue. On the recommendation of our adoption rep, we moisten the kibble slightly, tilt the bowl so the remaining water collects on one side, add a tablespoon of canned food and mix it into the liquid to make a gravy which we then mix into the kibble. It coats the kibble enough for it to slide down the throat easier. Teeth cleaning is accomplished with a weekly turkey neck and brushing -- or at least it was before he could no longer have poultry. Now it's just brushing.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Have you tried feeding her on a cookie tray? The more spread out the kibbles are, the harder it is to gobble it all up.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest IndyHound

Have you tried feeding her on a cookie tray? The more spread out the kibbles are, the harder it is to gobble it all up.

Thats a good idea. I'll try that tonight and see if it helps.

Is she making herself vomit or is she eating so fast that she ends up vomiting?

If it's eating fast then it turns into a food management issue. My suggestion would be to feed her by hand, one mouthful at a time, several small meals. As in, she gets two or three mouthfuls (however much she can eat without vomiting), then stop for 10 or 15 minutes. Then another set, and another, until she's eaten her allotment of food. You'll need to do this until her current cycle has been broken - probably a good three or four months.

If she's vomiting on purpose (as in, she'll only eat food that's been vomited first) then it becomes a behavioral/psychological issue - like anorexia or an obsessive compulsive disorder. This will take a qualified canine behaviorist or a very knowledgeable vet to help you work through, likely with some sort of anti-anxiety drugs.

Either way, this needs to be brought under control sooner rather than later. Repeated vomiting can cause serious health issues all along the GI track from her mouth to her gut.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jbbuzby

I'd also suggest a food dispensing toy if no one has said that yet. We have this one that works very well: http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Busy-Buddy-Kibble-Nibble/dp/B001F0RRUA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333485486&sr=8-2 They'll need to be fed separately, and it will take her about 10 minutes to get through a whole cup or two, but it worked well while my male would gulp his food down.

Guest IndyHound

Is she making herself vomit or is she eating so fast that she ends up vomiting?

If it's eating fast then it turns into a food management issue. My suggestion would be to feed her by hand, one mouthful at a time, several small meals. As in, she gets two or three mouthfuls (however much she can eat without vomiting), then stop for 10 or 15 minutes. Then another set, and another, until she's eaten her allotment of food. You'll need to do this until her current cycle has been broken - probably a good three or four months.

If she's vomiting on purpose (as in, she'll only eat food that's been vomited first) then it becomes a behavioral/psychological issue - like anorexia or an obsessive compulsive disorder. This will take a qualified canine behaviorist or a very knowledgeable vet to help you work through, likely with some sort of anti-anxiety drugs.

Either way, this needs to be brought under control sooner rather than later. Repeated vomiting can cause serious health issues all along the GI track from her mouth to her gut.

What I think the main reason is this. She eats super fast and will run to a safe spot vomit then eat it at her leisure. I think she believes someone may take it from her or if she doesn't eat it quickly enough she won't get any.

Guest DragonflyDM

Well… I won’t tell you to switch to real food where your grey will HAVE to slow down and chew. Raw diet isn’t everyone’s cup of tea.

What I will suggest is this--

1) Feed your dog only through a device like a King Cone. It will occupy him and he can’t eat two quickly. They have many other options of devices like this for full meals.

2) Roll your kibble in peanut butter or gravy and freeze it. He will have to break it apart and eat parts of it. It will take him awhile and keep him stimulated.

3) Get one of those automatic feeder bowls that has a shallow cup. Big kibble plus little cup means only so much comes out of the reservoir at a time.

I would get her back to the vet for a serious look at her esophagus and stomach. Meantime I would try hand-feeding a few kibbles at a time and/or the treat toy method.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.