Dandi's Ple/lymphangiectasia

I'm crawling out of my work hole long enough to share some good news about Dandi, my galgo diagnosed a few months ago with protein losing enteropathy and lymphangiectasia: After about 3 months of strict adherence to his ultra-low-fat, hypoallergenic diet (Purina HA kibble, z/d canned for flavor, and a tablespoon of pumpkin) his diarrhea has finally been controlled, and his albumin is up to 2.3, in the low-normal range! (I know it's low-normal but I'm focusing in on the NORMAL :)) He's also on Tylan, ranitidine and probiotics, and on a chinese remedy, Four Marvels, per our acupuncture vet. The only treats he can have are 100% yam chips (Sam's Yams) or very low-fat salmon chews with no other ingredients.

I swore that I would not make him continue eating the yuck in the commercial Rx foods, and I was ready to home cook exotic meats using a receipe made for him by a vet nutritionist. But now, I really don't want to fix something that ain't broke. He feels good, his numbers are good, he likes the food, and I don't want to risk a relapse. I don't know how long this remission will last, but I'm grateful for every day.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Great news, Jen! :yay I wouldn't change anything, if it were me, unless you have to. Thanks for letting us know.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

WTG Dandi :yay This is such a good update to see this morning. I've been thinking about you guys. :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Fasave

Holding good thoughts for you and Dandi. These diseases are so frustrating but we all know that Dandi couldn't be in better hands than yours. Hoping the good news continues.