Interceptor Shortage- Don't Know What To Do

Guest gomiesmom

Guest gomiesmom

Of course, I am now caught up in the Interceptor shortage. Both of my guys have always been on it. Vet within the practice Friday warned me about ivermectin in sight hounds, but stated the dose has to be higher (most times) than is in the heartworm preventative, but now I'm scared. She said trifexis has the same active ingred. for heartworm prevention as Interceptor,but w/ the added ingredient for flea control.

Well, I called vet back today, asking if the Trifexis was safe when used w/ Frontline Plus topical ( used mainly for ticks). She called the mfg. sales rep at merial and they said there are "no know effects when Fronline is used in conjunction w/ Trifexis".

Anyone have any experience w/ Trifexis? Anyone's thoughts? I would have to order it on line, as my vet does not carry it.(6 mos.f/ each of the two dogs)

The vet can do a mouth swap and send it off to see if my guys are Ivermectin tolerant,but I have also read that the active in interceptor can cause reactions when used w/ ivermectin, so I am scared to switch back & forth b/t Interceptor and an Ivermectin product.

Any thoughts - should I just go w/ the Trifexis - which has the same Heart worm preventative as Interceptor??? Trifexis would be more expensive,while I wait for interceptor (but I cannot worry about that at this point), since my guys fall under two different weight ranges w/ the Trifexis, and I would have to order (2) 6 mo. supplies, while waiting for Interceptor production to ramp back up.

I think I would be more comfortable with this, than switching between the active ingred. in intercepror and an ivermectin product, unless some of you all have had issues w/ the flea ingred. in the Trifexis.

Any thoughts?

Apologies if this has been "done to death" on this thread, but I cannot find much on Trifexis with a search.

Thanks for any insight.

We're on Trifexis here, and our vet said it's very comparable to Interceptor as far as working well. Not sure about the added topical factor though.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest KsFrets

Never heard of Ivermectin problems. We’ve been using it (liquid form, from Tractor Supply) for 4 years now no problems. Our vet supports it. Others in our group use it. No problems.

Cinnibuns just started on Trifexis 3/1. OK so far. Vet said it also covers fleas but NOT ticks. Fortunately I keep away from tick areas but do check anyway. Vet also stopped Frontline Plus and switched her to Vectra 3D. No need for Vectra now since Trifexis covers heartworm and fleas. :)

Guest gomiesmom

Thanks to you all -

I also just talked to my group director, who had also never had any problems w/ ivermectin. ( both mine, in her care, and also at the track & farm were on liquid dosing of ivermectin for heartworm prevention)

Maybe the vet was just being cautious. She KNOWS how I am about my hounds..... I'm sort of a "helicopter mom" ( not sort of - I am)

Thanks again everybody - all experiences from you guys help me make good & informed decisions about my hounds care.

Even though I have been a hound mom for almost 6 yrs, it's still hard to know what is right.Thus, I LOVE this site!

Happy tails !