Potentially Bad Situation

Guest TimbersHouse

Guest TimbersHouse

Hey all,

It's our (the wife and myself) first post around here, so howdy and all from Florida. In 2008, we adopted our mutt, Timber, from a group in Pensacola. Since then, we've had the best time with him. He's a great dog, fun to own and part of the family. He's given us a few scares over the years (mainly because he's a gargantuan klutz), but nothing too serious. As first time dog owners (on our own), we tend to err on the side of paranoia.

Anyway, on to the problem that brought us here - The day before yesterday, he started having a problem. He would retch and try to vomit, but nothing would come up. Red lights immediately went off in my head - I was thinking bloat. He didn't (and hasn't) displayed any other symptoms. He lays down and rests comfortably (in multiple positions, doesn't favor one side or the other), his abdomen doesn't appear distended or overly tight, and he will eat. On that note, he ate readily for two meals, but wouldn't drink anything. Naturally, we called the vet yesterday morning - after describing the symptoms, they seemed convinced that he had Kennel Cough and said he could be given robitussin DM to help him out. We made a just-in-case appointment for Monday and have our vet/emergency vet on standby.

Now, we were really concerned about him not drinking - so, my wife had a stroke of genius. She put a few pieces of his normal, dry food in two cups of water and dashed in a little chicken broth. We heated that up and poured it in his water bowl and he took it all down in one sitting. No gagging or attempting to vomit afterwards. He's now asleep, per usual, near the fireplace.

Other than what I described, here's what I know - He will still do the 'omg I have an itch!' thing where he will jump to a hind leg or his rear and try to scratch himself. While that doesn't seem relevant, it doesn't demonstrate a lot of abdominal discomfort (in my unprofessional opinion). He wont do his typical 'long stretch' where he arches his back and then leans over his back legs. I have NOT observed him going to the bathroom since yesterday, but that doesn't mean he hasn't. I plan on monitoring today. He has NOT whined or paced or displayed any trembling. Typically, starting around 4:30 or 5 in the morning, he will get up and start urging us to get up so he can go outside and get fed. He skipped that this morning. He still ate and wagged at me when I fed him, and still went out with his ears up and whatnot. But, no real excitement.

I only offer this shotgun of information for two reasons - I'm soliciting opinions and potential similar stories, and I wanted to get this example out there in case anyone else has an issue like this. We are worried, but not panicking. Has anyone encountered anything like this before? Thanks for any and all help.

-M&M

Hello and welcome. Having been through a scary morning with strange behavior from my hound this morning, I can sympathize.

My humble thoughts: When you say, no bathroom, do you mean pee? or poo? or neither?

First thought, is he one to tear up toys, ingest things he shouldn't? Perhaps some foreign material trying to work it's way through?

Perhaps bloodwork is in order? Check for kidney or liver problems.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

I would be worried about some type of obstruction. If he doesn't have a bowel movement by mid-day and he were mine, I'd be heading to the vet. That's not something that i would wait until Monday on. If he has a fairly normal bowel movement then I would probably continue to monitor him.

I'm sure that others with more experience and insight will be along shortly.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest TimbersHouse

Hey y'all. We appreciate the immediate responses. I was coming inside to put up a quick update to this, actually, when I saw. Some hopefully good news mixed with new information. I just took him out in our yard to watch his behavior, this is how it went - He went out and immediately saw some joggers, so he took off. He didn't get into full gallop like usual and didn't bark like usual, but he definitely loped over and trotted with them along the fence. Then he had what I'm pretty sure was a world-record pee. He trotted and sniffed a little more, then he had to poo. I took this as a VERY good sign. I inspected it - no blood or foreign matter. After he took care of all his business, he wanted to play - he sprinted off and romped around, but had to stop. He gagged once, but that was it. When I said, 'lets go inside,' he bolted off for the door - no gagging. The one thing I DID notice was that he's got a little belly tenderness. Right behind those back ribs on his body, just below his 'backstraps' (sorry, I'm a hunter and don't know what other term to use!). I was checking him for tightness. It doesn't appear to be tight, but when I press on certain areas, his body tenses up. No whining, but a noticeable tense. Going to continue to monitor, but normal bowel function and willingness to try and run I'm taking as good signs.

Sounds like he's got a little something in the tummy going on. If he were mine, I'd watch him closely over the weekend and if he's not improved take him for a check at the vet on Monday. He obviously doesn't seem to be displaying symptoms that constitute an emergency visit.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest wmlcml6

I think I would probably go to the vet. If he's off his normal behavior, it warrants at least very close monitoring (which you are doing). If you notice lethargy or swelling, definitely a vet visit.

It could be he has just strained a muscle somewhere (maybe the neck which might trigger gagging and affects so much of his movement; or maybe the groin/abdomen where you noticed tenderness). A strained muscle would cause him not to be as active.

Based on my experiences with bloat, I think you can rule that out because after two days, he'd be in real distress by now (or worse). Again, that's just my personal experience and I'm not a medical provider. I've seen one greyhound, 2 bloodhounds and a malamute mix with bloat, and it progresses quickly and causes noticeable distress.

I would do a thorough head to toe check to see if any particular area causes a reaction. That may help you pinpoint if he has an issue to watch. I would continue to make sure he's hydrated, even if it means adding something to the water to make him drink.

Normal bowel function makes me feel better, too, as hopefully it rules out a blockage of some kind. If you think his tummy is upset, you might consider giving him a tablespoon of pepto. Some honey might sooth his throat, too. Just wondering - have you changed anything in his diet this week?

Good luck!

Edited by wmlcml6

Guest Angelique

Sorry your having a bad morning, it's never pleasant to notice that something is "just not quite right". Whenever I mix water with Cassy's food it gives him diarrhea. If his next bowel movement comes out liquidy, its probably from the spiced up water and not a symptom. (My boy has a really sensitive GI track and stomach) Keep us updated.

Dry retching is a classic symptom of Kennel Cough (or tracheaitis). If you pinch gently along their windpipe they will often gag by reflex and that's another sign. The main daner of it is that it might go on to cause pneumonia, and of course that it is transmissable to other dogs.

Your dog sounds OK now - remember: a stretching dog is usually a healthy dog. But keep an eye on him in case of partial blockage and/or something in the throat.

He sounds like my dogs, no poo or pee issues but occasional stops to cough. It could be simple allergies at this time of year depending on where you are. Everything's blooming here in Virginia, which means Dh and I are taking Zyrtec and the dogs are coughing and sneezing. Not sure what to make of your dogs tenderness in the belly, but I'd could be gas or nothing.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

I agree that it could be many possibilities. The gagging does seem like a little something caught up. Maybe a tiny kibble piece (or fur or dust ball) caught that could pass with water/digestion; a tiny partial obstruction (if it's moving, hopefully will pass in 24-48 hours); or kennel cough, etc. Please keep monitoring potty outings, and examining poop for a couple of days. I would feed water softened kibble for a day or two.

John F and MaryJane brought up good points to consider re: Kennel cough, or reverse sneezing. Videos of each are available on the Internet. Any more episodes since you last posted? (Might help if you can take a video if it happens again.)

Remote possibility worth a mention...

If it turns out your dog is experiencing beginning episodes of "reverse sneezing" (usually extended neck, struggling to forcefully inhale through nose, combined with nasal exhale, accompanied with snorting and/or dry gagging), you might consider "nasal mites." Reverse sneezes can cause tender abdominal muscles (like people with bad cough). BTW, after a reverse sneezing episode, dogs can resume normal activity as if nothing happened.

Successful treatment of nasal mites is simple (but not all vets are very familiar with them if uncommon in their region). Again, your hound could be experiencing something completely different if he's limited to throat gagging without any nasal involvement.

Good luck with your boy.

• 5 years later...
Guest GoingGrey

Just a quick thought about his tenderness of the belly "behind the ribs." My guy was extremely ticklish here. Just wondering if this might be the case rather than actual tenderness that you're experiencing.

In fact, when nothing else would get Elvis' attention (very sly, stubborn fella, not sensitive to harsh admonishments or loud words as they say most greys are, lol) and he was about to pee on someone's rose bush, pants leg, coffee table, snack-sized dog, etc., I would often briefly goose him in that tender area with a finger to get his attention. This would startle without hurting him and he'd sometimes make a startled squeak, but it always snapped his focus back on me. :-)

This thread is 5 years old.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****