Tick Protection

Guest starr511

Guest starr511

We are going to Greyhounds In Gettysburg and someone posted that the ticks are already out now. Since we are newbies with greyhounds, what do you use on them for tick protection. Will Frontline Plus be all we need? (this is used all year round in WI)

Thanks

nancy

I used to use the frontline plus, but have gone to revolution. However, that is not because the frontline wasn't working....rather , it's because EZ gets a bad belly from the heartworm meds and Dustin has such horrible tummy troubles anyway, that I have moved them all onto the revolution which covers heartworms as well.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I love Revolution but it only does American dog ticks. K9 Advantix II does more ticks: American dog ticks, deer ticks, Lone Star ticks and brown dog ticks. Plus other nasties. BUT the heartworm medication is not included in K9 Advantix as it is in Revolution and if you have cats which groom your dogs, I wouldn't use it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest peacehound

ticks are out in PA already...live in Ohio but was in PA last weekend and had to take two ticks off Peace! my vet suggested her first dose beginning of May but I think sooner..have had luck with Frontline Plus

Guest driser

We use Frontline Plus and know it kills ticks quickly because though we check him as soon as we've been somewhere he could have picked up a tick (we live in Connecticut, near Lyme, CT) ... twice I have missed one but found it dead on his blanket shortly thereafter. I wish Frontline Plus dried faster, but knowing it works makes it work have FP mohawk for a day. :)

Guest starr511

Thanks for the info. We use Frontline Plus all year round. Since we go to a dog park everyday I don't want any tick or fleas brought home.

Unfortunately, the only topical that actual REPELS ticks is K9 Advantix (or however they spell it). Frontline Plus takes quite a while to kill a tick, and won't actually keep them from climbing on to begin with.

It's what I use, but only because I have a cat that is almost always in close proximity to the dog and my vet doesn't want to chance it getting on the cat.

Preventic collars are safe to use on Greyhounds and work VERY well. They repel tick, and if you're very concerned, you might get one of those for the trip.

Unfortunately, the only topical that actual REPELS ticks is K9 Advantix (or however they spell it). Frontline Plus takes quite a while to kill a tick, and won't actually keep them from climbing on to begin with.

It's what I use, but only because I have a cat that is almost always in close proximity to the dog and my vet doesn't want to chance it getting on the cat.

Preventic collars are safe to use on Greyhounds and work VERY well. They repel ticks, and if you're very concerned, you might get one of those for the trip.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck