Playing Games At Dinnertime

My two boys are constantly playing games during mealtimes- it's becoming a problem. Here's what I mean: my usual routine is to feed my older, alpha dog Henry first. Henry is fed in the kitchen, which is on the main floor of the house. I usually have to pull Truman the puppy away by the collar, otherwise, he will run in and try to eat Henry's food. After I fill Henry's bowl, I take Truman upstairs and feed him in his crate (with the door open). Henry tends to graze on his food for a long time, while Truman is quite the opposite. He will gobble everything up as fast as possible, then run downstairs and try to move in on Henry's again. When he does this, Henry responds by chasing him away and doing a little bark or growl. Truman usually backs off at this point. But back and forth, they repeat this. As soon as Henry steps away from the bowl or leaves the room, Truman flies in towards the food bowl. Henry chases after him again and growls when he gets near the bowl. This goes on about five or six times and usually results in Truman eating all of his food and a good bit of Henry's. Sometimes I feel like the problem could be solved if Henry could JUST EAT HIS FOOD when I put it down. Honestly, I think he likes playing this game, because he likes to chase. How can I solve this problem? It's driving me crazy!

I have only one Greyhound so have never faced this problem, but if I were in your shoes, I'd keep them apart until Henry is done eating. Either keep Truman in his crate or behind a closed door in another room until all is safe.

Guest Wasserbuffel

It's not quite the same thing, but when I give Bob wet cat food at the same time Jayne is eating she'll finish first then go take what's left of his. The only way I have found to prevent it is to watch her like a hawk and make her wait to clean up the plate until Bob is completely finished. She acts like I'm torturing her, and will sneak past if I let down my guard. I used to keep her on a leash until Bob was done.

Ryder has been taught not to touch Kasey's bowl until I say it's ok to do so.

Kasey is very slow, and Ryder would get to Kasey's bowl the second he finished up on his, regardless of if Kasey was still finishing up or not. They both eat in the kitchen, with Kasey served first, followed by Ryder a few seconds later (since I have to walk a bit down the hall to serve him). Ryder always finishes first, and Kasey takes his time. Kasey pauses, licks, and used to walk away (but having Ryder as food motivator Kasey now sticks around and eat all his food - weird change from my never eating Kasey). To teach Ryder not to "pounce" I monitor him, and give him a command to wait. He cannot go near that bowl until I say so. This started with hold collar and command wait. Then it was eventually no collar holding and verbal only. If he would move forward I would simply put up my hand/arm or block with my leg so he couldn't move forward and I would say "wait". Now he simply waits until Kasey is done and out of the way and he approaches the bowl and I say OK and off he goes, happily licking what is left. Now we are at the point if I forget, Ryder actually paces the kitchen walking by Kasey's bowl and eyeing it and wondering "when will she tell me ok?".

A command we were taught in obedience class was "Mine". If that's my food and he's not allowed to have it, (also handy to use if he accidently gets into something he shouldn't have), I immediately go over and claim it as "MINE". Loudly and authoritatively command MINE, put your hand over the object, and your body too if necessary. That is my bowl, you cannot have MY bowl. If you release your hand from over the bowl and he advances, again come in with MINE and repeat your motion. Eventually he should get that this is yours and not to touch it until you say - or ever if you don't want him licking up after Henry.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would give henry his food then take Truman upstairs and put him and his food in his crate and close the door. I'd wait 15 minutes, let Truman out and if Henry isn't finished I'd take up his food until breakfast. If things go on the way the are you're looking at a fight in the making. Henry will learn to eat faster if he wants his meals. Either that or baby gate Truman out of the room.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I've dealt with quite a few fosters and since I don't crate .... I use a leash and tie the new dog to a door handle in the kitchen and give him/her the food there and my dogs get their food in their customary place in the kitchen also. This way they all eat in the same room and my dogs know enough not to go to the "new dog's food". After each dog finishes his/her food they go out and once everyone has gone out - the dogs know when they come in that that they can go and clean up the other dog's food/cookies.

If you can't control them at feeding time you need to keep them seperate. What are you doing while the puppy picks on Henry? My dogs learned quick that if they ever growl at mealtime they might die. No one is EVER allowed to try and steal food. Unless it's me! It's hard to concentrate on eating when you're defensively waiting for another dog to steal your food. I also wouldn't tolerate having to drag a dog, even a puppy, away from another dog's meal. Break out that VOG, squirt bottle, body block the puppy out if the room.

Sorry if this seems harsh but your being very unfair to Henry. He shouldn't have to fight for his food. Your also going to eventually be paying lots of vet bills....

------

Jessica

If you can't control them at feeding time you need to keep them seperate. What are you doing while the puppy picks on Henry? My dogs learned quick that if they ever growl at mealtime they might die. No one is EVER allowed to try and steal food. Unless it's me! It's hard to concentrate on eating when you're defensively waiting for another dog to steal your food. I also wouldn't tolerate having to drag a dog, even a puppy, away from another dog's meal. Break out that VOG, squirt bottle, body block the puppy out if the room.

Sorry if this seems harsh but your being very unfair to Henry. He shouldn't have to fight for his food. Your also going to eventually be paying lots of vet bills....

:nod:nod:nod

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I guess I should've clarified... Henry is not fighting Truman for his food. He has plenty of time to eat while Truman is upstairs in the crate (usually 10-15 minutes). The problem is that Henry totally ignores his food when I put it out. I have tried to separate them during mealtimes, but even then, Henry will not eat his food. He usually just walks to the gate looking for the puppy. I truly believe this is a game to Henry because it is one of the only ways he can initiate play with Truman. I know it sounds backwards because Henry is the older dog, but he is the one who always wants to play. He will put his mouth on Truman's ears, face, back legs, anything to get him to play. He'll play bow and do his "little hops." Unfortunately, Truman is not very playful and usually walks away. He gets intimidated with dogs that are bigger than him. Mealtime is one of the only times in the day where Truman actually gets excited. I am confident that Henry's growls and barks are not vicious in nature. Today, for example, while all this was happening, Henry was wagging his tail and even "smiling." I definitely don't get the impression that he's being picked on. This has been going on for weeks with no fights- nothing more than a little "errrr" here and there.

Also, I AM very committed to both dogs' safety. I stand in the kitchen and supervise the entire time. I'm usually making lunch and getting ready for work. I don't discipline Henry for growling or barking, because I think it's important that he correct Truman. And overall, his behavior with the puppy is always very protective and loving. He lays with Truman and licks him, cleans his ears, etc. When Truman goes to puppy class once a week, Henry looks for him and seems anxious. I really doubt Henry would ever hurt Truman on purpose. They are very bonded to one another.

I think I'll try Jilly's suggestion... if Henry can learn to eat his food in a reasonable amount of time, problem solved.

Guest sweetpea

I have a similar problem with Sweetpea and Sebastian,

except they don't play games, Sebastian will just eat all of her food.

And then we spend the night taking him for walks as he tries to offload

the double or triple portion he just inhaled. :angry:

Sweetpea gets fed in my room (with the door closed), Sebastian gets fed in the laundry room.

This way Sweetpea can take as much time as she wants, and Sebastian

doesn't get locked away from his people which he doesn't tolerate well.

Sweetpea does tolerate being locked away from her people, in fact she seems to prefer it. :unsure

Buzzy

Guest mirthlesstroll

I have to gate Trent into my bathroom because he will abandon his bowl if another dog comes by to check it out. My 2 Hoover dogs are crated so they can't "help" slower siblings finish their bowls.

It does sound like Henry is goofing off instead of eating - I second taking up his bowl after 10-15 minutes. He will go hungry a few meals, then realize he needs to eat now, or miss out.

Guest freightsmom

I feed my four in pairs. Cruise & Kai go into closed crates out of sight of the eating area and Freight and Aimee eat together about 5 ft apart with 2 water bowl stands in between them and me watching. Once they are done, we reverse and Freight & Aimee go in the crates and Cruise & Kai eat. BTW, all four must sit and wait in front of their bowls and wait to be released before they can eat. I can honestly say never a problem or growl from any of them.....so far :P