Post Fall All Natural Or Holistic Supplements

Guest mysymba

Guest mysymba

Hi all,

Symba is nine years old now and always been very active for me...he tripped going up carpeted steps two weeks ago and is doing really well but seems a bit stiff now when getting up.....they had him on Rimadyl and Tramadol but I have stopped now due to tummy upset...is there any glucosamine or vitamin supplements I can add to help him? :blush

Also, he is hesitant on jumping up in the SUV...do you think this is from him hurting or scared? He goes up the same steps he tripped beautifully...these greys are so sweet but confuse me sometimes...? ;)

Thanks in advance!

You can continue with the tramadol-- doesn't upset the tummy like NSAIDs do. I have my guys on Dasaquin (joint supplement by Nutramax). It seems debatable by a few GT members if joint supplements work - I feel it has helped my guys--it's not an overnight fix- you need to give it time. You can also give Adequan a try but, initially it will require multiple visits to your vet.

Try the tramadol and see if he's more willing to jump in that SUV.

Edited by tbhounds

Guest mysymba

He had x rays of his shoulder area...they didn't see anything broken...but they said they still can't say....he is actually doing better today...but I was just wondering about the supplements since he is getting older and wanted to see if you guys think anything in particular helps your older greys be pups again?! B) Again, thank you!

Quite a few of us like the Springtime Advanced Joint Chewables & Fresh Factors. I have seen remarkable results and they enjoy eating them like treats so easy to administer. For any trauma arnica is hard to beat. You can use the tincture and give a few drops or the little tiny pills. Traumeel is also good to have on hand for trauma too. I have had good success with Duralactin -can use daily and is safe- and also DGP pills (DGP probably shouldn't be used on a bleeder greyhound).

Guest snakes

I use boswellia for my shoulder and it really helps. A few people on here have used it with good results, it is a natural anti-inflammatory. I did try it with FedX with his osteo and it didn't seem to help much.

I swear by Traumeel for horse, hound and human.

http://traumeel.us/

The Grey's vet is a Chiro/Accupuncturist and also is certified in Chinese herbs and it is also her 'go to' medication.

The cream is really good for muscle soreness, and I have given the drops to the horses.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest Mom2Shiloh

If the tummy has gotten a bit pained by the NSAIDs, use some Slippery Elm Bark powder, which will heal it nicely (either add a bit to food for a while or fill capsules .. but really, it has a pleasant, nutty taste and none of mine have ever minded a tsp or 2 in their meals.) It's a specific for stomach and intestinal issues, colitis and the like and is also nutritious and not contra-indicated with anything at all -- used to be used as a milk substitute for allergic babies. You can get it from her stores, natural food coops and heaven knows, these days, probably from Amazon too!

Long term, S.O.D. and Boswellia (by NaturVet) is an excellent herbal anti-inflammatory. It does not lose its efficacy if given for a prolonged period of time so you don't have to "pulse" it (stop and start it periodically). It is very effective for most greyhounds. Best place I've found for this is CalVetSupply.

I also use Arthrisoothe by NaturVet as a GlucosamineChondroitin supplement.... it has other things in it too, I don't use the ArthrisSoothe Plus because the tablets are chewable and my dogs will Not Chew Any pills, none, no matter what. So we just use the little plain ArthriSoothe pills.

I'm a huge fan of acupuncture AND of Chinese Herbal remedies as advised by a competent practitioner. We used both with my recently departed Silver and it not only kept the cancer from coming back but gave him 3 years of really good health post Mast Cell cancer.

I know I've been given Corydallis for occasional use with muscle spasms and cramping -- but you need a good vet whose certified with Chinese Herbal Medicine to recommend the right formulas.