Behavior In Windy Weather

Guest Italianblend

Guest Italianblend

Hola,

I have an 8 year old greyhound and she is your typical greyhound behaviorwise. She gets stressed at fireworks and thunder, typical stuff. Lately I have noticed that when the weather is windy, she is displaying some additional odd behaviors. She will pace in the backyard as if she is stressed, which I can understand if the wind bothers her. But when I open the door to let her in, she doesn't seem to want to leave the windy environment, which is the opposite from thunder or fireworks. Keep in mind that she usually happy to come right inside as soon as she hears the door.

She shakes and displays the normal stressed behavior, but I can't seem to understand her not wanting to come inside to be removed from the windy environment.

Is this reaction to wind a normal behavior?

Thanks.

Guest BrianRke

Just guessing here but...the wind probably triggers her storm response which makes her nervous, pant, pace. At the same time the wind is conjuring up all kinds of different smells which makes her want to stay out.

Diamond starts panic mode when she hears the Emergency Alert buzzing on the TV (even if its just a drill).

I don't consider fear of thunder and fireworks "typical Greyhound behavior," first of all. SOME greyhounds are afraid of these things, but SOME of all breeds of dogs are. The only dog my family ever had who was afraid of either of these things was an English Setter.

As to wind--that's actually the ONLY thing my greyhound is afraid of! I've often suspected that the wind rushing across their ears is uncomfortable. Not sure why your girl would act nervous but not come inside. The only time my dog EVER wants to go back inside is on really windy days!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

I don't consider fear of thunder and fireworks "typical Greyhound behavior," first of all.

This is true. I think the percentage is actually pretty low. Of the hundreds of greyhounds I have been around, very few have had storm anxiety. I happen to have one(Diamond) that is terrified of them. My other two act like nothing is happening.

I don't consider fear of thunder and fireworks "typical Greyhound behavior," first of all. SOME greyhounds are afraid of these things, but SOME of all breeds of dogs are. The only dog my family ever had who was afraid of either of these things was an English Setter.

As to wind--that's actually the ONLY thing my greyhound is afraid of! I've often suspected that the wind rushing across their ears is uncomfortable. Not sure why your girl would act nervous but not come inside. The only time my dog EVER wants to go back inside is on really windy days!

Agree about the fear of storms!

I have three Greys and none are afraid of storms/loud noises.

However, our GSD was terrified. The Pointer was also reactive.

Not sure why she'd want to stay out in the wind...perhaps there are extra good smells, as suggested above.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Thinking that many if not most Greyhounds are afraid of t-storms, etc., comes in part, I think, because by virtue of one of its purpose, many posts on this forum are about problems/issues with Greys. Every once in a while, someone will start a no-problem subject (I did it once) which points out how not all Greys have "problems." My Annie Bella sleeps through storms, loves the wind when outside (she prettily puts her head up with ears back and a smile on her face as if taking it all in), and barely looks at the cat. My granddaughter's dog, a mixed mutt sweetie, shakes, cries, cringes, and crawls under blankets when there is a thunder storm.

Of the eight greyhounds we've had, only one has been bothered by thunder/fireworks, and she is also the only one bothered by the wind. She is a true spook, and used to freak out at everything. Now, it's down to being anxious when it's windy. It's not the wind she's actual anxious about. She is very scared by all the branches and bushes blowing around. The more random the movement, the more anxious she is. I know this because she LOVES the beach - even in the wind - when she's out on the flat and tree-less sand. She starts to freak out going back into the tree-line.

My other thought is that strong wind is often accompanied by a drastic change in the air pressure, something many believe is at the root of storm phobias.

She displays the same behavior as your girl. My take is that she is so anxious that doing any action is kind of beyond her at that point. Instead of making a big deal out of calling her to try and have her come in on her own, just walk out and get her and calmly bring her inside.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It was very windy here yesterday and last night was worse. Fletcher is afraid of fireworks, but thunderstorms and wind like last night's just get him riled up :rolleyes:I think the wind makes a lot of new noises that he has to investigate, and of course, lots of new smells, and things blowing around that he has to chase... for him at least, windy days are more stimulating than frightening. Sounds like that might be the case with your girl too.

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I had a thunderphobic dog who, unlike yours, wanted to go outside when it was thundering. I think that she felt trapped inside the house and once outside she could run in any direction necessary to get away from the spooky gods in the sky. Wind and rain put her in stress because it usually preceded the thunder and lightning. Mine would pant heavily and shake, run to the front door if I got her harness out. Once outside, she would continue shaking but at a lesser level, but would sniff and sniff while looking in every direction. I think she was deathly afraid of the unknown, which she did not understand, but was curious enough that she wanted to find out what it was - especially as the storm was winding down and it was going away from us.