Still On A Mission...

Guest verthib

Guest verthib

...to find the right food.

So I just bought small bags of Avoderm Beef and Potato, and Canidae Pure Land Bison and Lamb. Trying to stay away from salmon and chicken. Anyone ever try either of those foods? Thanks...

Edited by verthib

My dogs did really well on Avoderm. It is too hard to get here in Delaware and became really expensive for three dogs, especially when one is a big boy. I switched to Iams in the green bag and can purchase it at BJ's in a 50 lbs bag for about $42.00. They are doing great on it.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest verthib

My dogs did really well on Avoderm. It is too hard to get here in Delaware and became really expensive for three dogs, especially when one is a big boy. I switched to Iams in the green bag and can purchase it at BJ's in a 50 lbs bag for about $42.00. They are doing great on it.

Which Avoderm flavor/type did you use?

Iams green bag is my choice. I have a friend who just started one of hers on Iams Lamb and rice (chicken seems to disagree with him) and although it does have some chicken fat in it the dog is doing terrific!

Guest verthib

Iams green bag is my choice. I have a friend who just started one of hers on Iams Lamb and rice (chicken seems to disagree with him) and although it does have some chicken fat in it the dog is doing terrific!

We can't feed iams due to the corn. My dogs don't tolerate corn at all, especially Angus. We've tried umpteen foods.... I'm trying to see if anyone has specifically used AvoDerm Meat and Potato and/or Canida Natural Land (bison and lamb)....

Edited by verthib

Guest Plygreygirl

I also have one hound that I have tried soo many different foods that I have lost count!! We just tried little over a week ago the new Iams chicken, rice & barley. This is the first time in a long time (4 years!!) that she doing really great on. Not 100% but pretty close!

It's tuff because I have one that like a goat it makes no difference what I give her she has no problems with it. But I Mia ccchsss one little thing and it's mush city! She doing really well on the new Iams so we are sticking with this one for now!!! :blush

Guest verthib

I also have one hound that I have tried soo many different foods that I have lost count!! We just tried little over a week ago the new Iams chicken, rice & barley. This is the first time in a long time (4 years!!) that she doing really great on. Not 100% but pretty close!

It's tuff because I have one that like a goat it makes no difference what I give her she has no problems with it. But I Mia ccchsss one little thing and it's mush city! She doing really well on the new Iams so we are sticking with this one for now!!! :blush

Mine can't have chicken either... it's getting ridiculous how much time and money we're spending to try to get normal poops! :huh

You have my sympathies. One thing that might be worth trying is to see if you can contact the breeder/ trainer and find out what they were feeding. We were able to do this with our little fuss-pot and, even though we didn't make all the changes, we were able to narrow things down to what we 'could' feed safely, in theory anyhow.

Guest Plygreygirl

Just an update they also come out with a fish one! I think it's salmon . . and something. I went with the chicken, so far for us it's working!! Good luck I feel your pain. It should not be that hard but then you get the hound with it issues!!:blush

Can't help you on the Avoderm beef and potato. However, when I was in Lufkin I wanted to try a "better" food than Iams so I got Avoderm chicken and rice. It is the only food that I have ever returned to Petsmart because Poodle wouldn't touch it.

Idle wonderings...how do dogs that are allergic to corn live to grow up, thrive and win races? I'm no guru, but most/all of the farms I've been on did not feed grain free foods. In "the old days"( ~ 3 or 4 years ago before it was discontinued) the overwhelming choice at kennels seemed to be Purina Hi-Pro mixed with the meat.. I seem to remember a lot of people trying to buy up the last of it.

Hi-Pro ingredients:

Beef and bone meal, ground wheat, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), soybean meal, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, vitamin supplements (A, E, B-12, D-3), DL-Methionine, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, brewers dried yeast, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite. W-4293

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest verthib

Perhaps Angus had corn at the track and was fine but here he has diarrhea, bad. So I'm not touching it. As far as contacting them regarding what he ate I'm pretty sure it was a raw meat mixture like most tracks but I'm not doing raw. I chose the beef Avoderm in the hopes that his body prefers it since maybe that's what he was fed at the track. This mission is exhausting but necessary. <sigh>

How do you know he can't have chicken or salmon (in addition to the corn)? If those items were fed for a period of time separately, you would know they were a problem. If you're talking about a dog food containing chicken or salmon or corn, it's really hard to narrow down a problem to a single ingredient. The problem could be a minor ingredient (flaxseed, yucca), the amount or type of fat, or that the bag sat around too long on a hot truck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I was feeding Avoderm Lamb and Rice. I tried the beef last, and they didn't do that well on it. For a long time, we thought Fuzzy couldn't do poultry, but he is fine on Iam's green bag. In fact, he is excellent.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I chose the beef Avoderm in the hopes that his body prefers it since maybe that's what he was fed at the track.

I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that your sweet Angus was not fed beef Avoderm at Ebro, Sarasota and Flagler.

There *might* *might* be a super kennel out there at a top tier track that *might* feed it, but odds are slim to none.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest sirsmom

Your vet will probably prescribe one of the Science Diet foods (or Royal Canin, Purina) (maybe ID for a few weeks and then go from there. We tried Nutro potato and turkey grain free last summer and my dogs did excellent on it (limited ingredient) but it was pricey so we went back to Purina One & Iams and very recently are feeding the Purina One Beyond with very excellent results.

I have a sensitive stomach grey and an allergy plagued puppy-mill Springer. We have tried nearly every high end food out there to help the Springer with chronic ear infections, skin problems and hot spots. We started feeding them Honest kitchen dehydrated food about a month ago along with some raw meat here and there and the Grey has no stomach rumbling and no runny poo. It's expensive, but not more than the Science Diet Sensitive Stomach we had to buy in addition to the TOTW for the Springer. Another plus is no gas :colgate

Taunya and her Supreme Grace, Anna - Sharsanna (Kiowa Sweet Trey x Camden Coming), Surge (no races), Kelsos Yorktown (Trent Lee x Kelsos Spotswood), Galgo Espanol - Valentin. Forever waitin' on Red (Kiowa Mon Manny x Bella Ionic).

At this point you might want to consider doing home-cooked food. If you are on home-cooked, you can also do an elimination diet and find out what foods are the trigger points. If home-cooked is too pricey, you can also do a 50/50 home-cooked and kibble just as long as you can find a kibble they can tolerate.

We used Candidae, on our third bag (bison/lamb). We had one good bag and one bag that just smelled rotten (coulda brought it back for a refund but didn't). Stool was ok, Ryder isn't fussy so no problems throughout use. He may have been farting a bit more on this stuff than usual though. It isn't a bad product and isn't on the super expensive list, but isn't cheap either.

Natural Balance often has gluten free grains, and it's a LID - might be your best option instead. They have a bison version Kasey is on right now and he loves it and it loves him. I trust that brand more than any other for elimination of ingredients that cause allergies & other problems.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest verthib
1329786402[/url]' post='5172281']
1329779696[/url]' post='5172137']

I chose the beef Avoderm in the hopes that his body prefers it since maybe that's what he was fed at the track.

I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that your sweet Angus was not fed beef Avoderm at Ebro, Sarasota and Flagler.

There *might* *might* be a super kennel out there at a top tier track that *might* feed it, but odds are slim to none.

I did not mean the beef Avoderm, I meant he was probably fed BEEF so we're trying the beef line.

Guest SupersMom

We're in the middle of a food transition/research ourselves. We have a "little" girl, Super who will ignore her food all day until dinner or something else comes along. She has been on the inexpensive Kirklands Chicken Rice and veggies, pooping like a champ. Our big boy Pawn Star will eat anything had some serious blowout coming off the track. The chicken didn't agree with him at all and I was worried about him so I ponied up for a bag of blue's lamb and rice.both kids get dry kibble in the morning, marrowbone treats with DH during the day and kibble mixed with half can soft lamb and rice, yogurt and a beans each. Both kids are solid and mostly gas free. We will be playing with fire soon to get them both on the same program. When their current bags empty we will try the Kirkland lamb and rice for both with the yogurt regiment. Blues is great and Pawn Star loves it, but it's just too expensive. Super ignores her food till dinner when we add the soft stuff and yogurt. I have to mix it well or she will eat around the yogurt and be gassy all night. Pawn Star, just inhales everything.

Guest verthib
1329783270[/url]' post='5172213']

How do you know he can't have chicken or salmon (in addition to the corn)? If those items were fed for a period of time separately, you would know they were a problem. If you're talking about a dog food containing chicken or salmon or corn, it's really hard to narrow down a problem to a single ingredient. The problem could be a minor ingredient (flaxseed, yucca), the amount or type of fat, or that the bag sat around too long on a hot truck.

We've done countless eliminations and foods. For months. We have it narrowed down to no corn or chicken. And fish and sweet potato aren't the best but are tolerable. Beef and potato is our current trial. He was ok on lamb for a bit but went downhill. Next we might try bison if this doesn't work. Very frustrating!

So you've been feeding just the plain food item -- just chicken, or just salmon?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

After 2 months of mush to pick up and most of the time it was straw and cover and walk away fast. The group had blood test for food allergy. No lamb,beef chicken,turkey,venison,milk,rabbit,wheat.and more. He could have was potato,barley liver,CORN! fish and Kangaroo!! The foster coordinator brought by a couple boxes of Honest Kitchen (thrive). After the first 3 days I jumped for joy. I could take up golf with the output. it will be a hard sell to place him with an expensive food bill. The 10# box (you need to reconstitute it) makes 40 pounds. 80 pound skinny boy went through 1 box in 2 weeks. I see the product on line for 60.00/box. As long as the adoptee knows going in and has a yard,no problem IF he can put weight on.

Guest verthib
1329871476[/url]' post='5173103']

After 2 months of mush to pick up and most of the time it was straw and cover and walk away fast. The group had blood test for food allergy. No lamb,beef chicken,turkey,venison,milk,rabbit,wheat.and more. He could have was potato,barley liver,CORN! fish and Kangaroo!! The foster coordinator brought by a couple boxes of Honest Kitchen (thrive). After the first 3 days I jumped for joy. I could take up golf with the output. it will be a hard sell to place him with an expensive food bill. The 10# box (you need to reconstitute it) makes 40 pounds. 80 pound skinny boy went through 1 box in 2 weeks. I see the product on line for 60.00/box. As long as the adoptee knows going in and has a yard,no problem IF he can put weight on.

What is the blood test called? I'd be interested in it for Angus.