Initiator Signal

Hi!

This is just a general post of a helpful technique that I picked up. My Katie started off quite spooky, and someone mentioned the use of initiator signals to me, so I did some searching on line. The basic idea is that you give the animal being trained a way of telling you whether they are comfortable with the level of pressure that you are putting on them or not. This allows you to adjust your interaction (intensity, distance, numbers, etc.) so that it is at a level that they can handle.

As an example, Katie started off very shy around people. Looking at her was a lot for her to handle, much less talking to her or actually touching her. So I taught her to hand target, and then I started using that as an initiator signal. I'd sit by her, put my hand out, and ask if she wanted scritchels. If she touched my hand, I would pet briefly, and then ask again. If she didn't, I'd move away a bit, lean out, give it a little time, or otherwise alter the situation. Generally crowding her less would get her to agree with the idea of being petted. If she ignores the signal several times in a row, I have to accept that she doesn't want to be petted at this time (which sometimes happens, especially if she is sleepy), and NOT pet her.

I have videoed an example of what this looks like, for people who may be interested in the idea. It's useful for the shy and spooky hounds, but may also be something to consider with a space aggressive dog, since they will be giving you a signal that it's ok to approach them. Please note that Katie does not have space aggression issues, and I have conditioned her to the idea that lots of great things happen when she is on her bed, and that we have been working on this a long time. In other words, use your judgement about your own dog's level of comfort with the behavior you are requesting.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

I'd never heard of this before, but it makes so much sense to do it this way (rather than mis-guessing your dog's threshold and then being set back somewhat as a result). I imagine that it would have lots of practical applications with dogs with situation-based aggression as well. Very cool!

Guest Wasserbuffel

We do something similar with Jayne. She's more sensitive to DH approaching her when she's laying down, so he'll get her to touch or shake and give her a treat before he pets her while she's on the couch. If she just lays there looking at him, and won't touch or shake, he leaves her alone.

She'll signal that she wants more petting by rubbing her paw across her face and./or rolling over for belly rubs.

I'd love to try this with Ryder. I will watch the video and get back to you about it. He's shy and spooky around sounds and certain people. Immersion technique I find works well with him, but I don't do it often and consistently enough and we are back to square one.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I am also finding that there are nuances to how she does this that can clue me in on what she wants.

For example, in this video, I had slept in late, and what she was really wanting was breakfast. You can see that her touches are a bit diffident: yes, you can pet me, but it's not really high on the list of what I want to do right now. Reinforced by her knocking over the camera at the end so that I would stop filming and go give her breakfast!

Then there are days when she will move her head to my hand, but not actually touch it: I would like to be petted, but am very sleepy. So I give her some long, slow, gentle strokes and talk gently to her as her eyes slowly close and she drifts off to sleep.

And then there are the days when the nose dives into my hand, along with a tongue lick or sniffing along the hand and up the arm: Oh yes, please pet me! I will even roll over so you can do my belly, and don't even think of stopping until I get enough!

It's really been a very helpful skill to teach her.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

My dogs have all demonstrated the initiator signal without having to be taught (it's a natural part of dog behaviour, after all), but this does depend on you being able to interpret and encourage the first tentative signs that they are doing so, and to use it correctly.

This signal is a very useful thing for people to learn if they are new to dogs or are unsure how to interpret dog body language - and it's particularly useful for those people to be able to see it in action!

Your video will be a great resource for people to show their children, which may then help to avoid dog bites. :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop