Dental Surgery And Pad Repair For Poor Bumper Today

Have you tried putting the pills inside peanut butter balls or ice cream balls? That works here. You may see some blood tinged saliva for a couple of days and may want to cover the dog beds with large towels to catch the drool.

Eating is good...wtg Bumper :clap and hopefully the toe heals and ends that problem.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I use Pill Pockets for Treasure. I have to guy them but they work every time. Glad Bumper is eating!

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I didn't see this, but I'm glad to see Bumper is home and you guys are doing okay.

I know this was rough, but really was necessary so stop beating yourself up. I'm interested to see how Bumper does once his pad heals and he's walking on it properly again.

No comment on the pee catching, but the image had me :rofl

Derek, I can't get pills into Jake by putting them in tasty things, even pill pockets. He falls for it once, but once only. We've had to pill him many, many times with usually 3 capsules at least twice a day or more even. I found a way that works, well for us anyway. Since trying to get capsules or small pills down his throat so they would stay down, I actually feared I'd lose a finger. I had pill pockets so I put the pills in it and shoved the entire package down the hatch. It worked! Then we ran out so I made my own "package" using a piece of bread. Tear off a small piece, I start with a quarter of a slice with the crust removed. Flatten it out, then place the pills or caps on one end, leaving a space to seal it. Fold the bread over and squish the edges closed, then squish it in your hand to make it as small as you can. Then, down the hatch!

Hugs to Bumper and to you. :bighug :bighug Prayers for a quick and uneventful healing.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest verthib

UPDATE - 1/2 way through!

Bump is losing his 12 incisors as well. Poor guy! 16 teeth...so to all the houndies out there, whether at the track or at home: YOU CANNOT EAT CRATES! Only bad things will result!

(Bump is not crated at home and we never did see this behavior when he was crated with us in the beginning)

The vet is also pleased with the hulling of stuff on his pad. Hopefully that is what was causing the discomfort and he can keep his toe blink.gif

All four of Gracie's canines are notched and two look slightly cracked from years of chewing crates. No one has ever recommend I remove them. Are his teeth fractured below the gum line? Poor guy.

Edited by verthib

I didn't see this, but I'm glad to see Bumper is home and you guys are doing okay.

I know this was rough, but really was necessary so stop beating yourself up. I'm interested to see how Bumper does once his pad heals and he's walking on it properly again.

No comment on the pee catching, but the image had me :rofl

Derek, I can't get pills into Jake by putting them in tasty things, even pill pockets. He falls for it once, but once only. We've had to pill him many, many times with usually 3 capsules at least twice a day or more even. I found a way that works, well for us anyway. Since trying to get capsules or small pills down his throat so they would stay down, I actually feared I'd lose a finger. I had pill pockets so I put the pills in it and shoved the entire package down the hatch. It worked! Then we ran out so I made my own "package" using a piece of bread. Tear off a small piece, I start with a quarter of a slice with the crust removed. Flatten it out, then place the pills or caps on one end, leaving a space to seal it. Fold the bread over and squish the edges closed, then squish it in your hand to make it as small as you can. Then, down the hatch!

Hugs to Bumper and to you. :bighug :bighug Prayers for a quick and uneventful healing.

Thanks Janet - an interesting idea...I was going to ask if you wet the bread, or slicked it with olive oil or something? I've done the 'hatch' method as well and about 75% of the time, it gets poofed out. When in doubt though, I keep at it and eventually get it. With his mouth so sore, however, I dare not pry open the front. That said, I'm feeding him many small meals and have been hiding pill pockets in the meal. He has fallen for it twice today already, so I think we have a good combo.

I like everyone else's suggestions as well ... we don't have any ice cream on hand, but I think he deserves a little treat!

UPDATE - 1/2 way through!

Bump is losing his 12 incisors as well. Poor guy! 16 teeth...so to all the houndies out there, whether at the track or at home: YOU CANNOT EAT CRATES! Only bad things will result!

(Bump is not crated at home and we never did see this behavior when he was crated with us in the beginning)

The vet is also pleased with the hulling of stuff on his pad. Hopefully that is what was causing the discomfort and he can keep his toe blink.gif

All four OG Gracie's canines are notches and two look slightly cracked from years of chewing crates. No one has ever recommend I remove them. Are his teeth fractured below the gum line? Poor guy.

Bumper's canines were about 70% eroded on the lower two and about 40% on the top two. 2 of the 4 were fractured and all had died - there was no living tissue inside any of the teeth and the vet indicated it was just a matter of time before the center of the tooth opened and became a freeway for bacteria to the root, in the jawbone. An infection down there would not have been good, of course. One of the canines was already essentially 'hollow'. His incisors were just nubs with about 80% above the gum line eroded. The good news is everything behind the canines is in perfect health and shape. I don't have the jaw X-rays electronically yet, but the Tech is supposed to email them to me.

Well, I am really impressed with Bump's progress today...from the bleeding last night, unable to stand, carried on a stretcher, to gradual improvement throughout the day leading to a short walk (as in 400 feet) in the beautiful crisp air with the other 2.

It has been pointed out I need to update my siggy tongue.gif to include Miss Squirt! Yes, I have to get to that!!

But I appreciate everyone's ideas, well wishes, and comments, so thank you!

A pic just before sunset!

Streetafterdental.jpg

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

What a greyt update! yay.gif Bumper, you keep letting daddy think he's foolin' you wif dose pills.wink.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Oh that picture is so good to see.

On wetting of the bread - no just flatten it out, you know what white bread is like when you squish it right? It just molds the way you want it. Sometimes if I flavour the bread with peanut butter or gravy he just scarfs it down. So, I may have found a way to pill him without sticking my fingers in his mouth.

Grandy says you have to bring Squirt over for a real visit soon.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Continued healing wishes to Bumper. Ms. Squirt looks perfect, sandwiched between her two handsome brothers!

Ice cream is a cherished tradition in our house a few days after dentals.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter