Abnormal Breathing, Bile, And Drippy Nose.....

Guest goldfishngreys

Guest goldfishngreys

Pookie, my 5.5 yr old girl had an episode this morning in which she started breathing with her mouth closed (through nose and puffing out from side of lips) like something was stuck in her throat. She threw up bile yesterday morning (before eating-usually eats at 5am but this happened around 7:30 am). Just two days ago, my DH witnessed her get up and a large amount of snot was dripping from her nose and she was just standing there and licking it up. Could this be acid reflux? I have another female (6 y.o.) as well as a foster who’s only been with us for a week so I’m wondering if the stress from the foster could be causing her symptoms as well (we’ve fostered in the past with no issues)? She is a shy girl who I tend to baby more and feel sorry for (bounced twice). I’ve had her for 2 years and this is the first time I’ve seen this. Anyone had a similar experience? I just checked her gums and they are pink and she is acting normal.

Kasey would lick and swallow a lot like something was caught in his throat. Vet said to give him Pepcid for acid reflux. Its pretty safe as long as you give the right dose for weight and stay away from the chewable kind. He did not however have any vomiting episodes. Ryder was the bile thrower-upper and he needed a nausea med to break the cycle but since then no issues. As you can see, similar symptoms but 2 different greyhounds and 2 different diagnosis. I'd say it would be worth a vet visit to diagnose. The excessively drippy nose thing (to me) is anxiety....so better to get it all checked out at once. I don't think the symptoms you describe are bloat at least....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yes, I've often seen that. It's Acid Reflux. Whether we like it or not their stomach clocks start making acid anout 30-40 minutes before their normal food time..

3 solutions: 1. give Zantac or other proton pump inhibitor medication daily. 2. Feed a piece of bread with a little spread on it last thing at night so the stomach, come morning, still has something in there, won't get so sore and also it thinks the cycle is a little delayed anyway. Works for my dog 9 tmes out of ten.

3. Let the dog out to eat grass (their natural remedy) but don't moan at it if it comes back in and sicks it up on your carpet.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I agree with TB, personally I would be worried of a blockage if anything. That definitely needs a trip to the vet, one quick xray should exclude a blockage.

I agree with the last two posters. This is not something to self-diagnose - to me there are enough differences between this and a normal upset stomach/acid problem to make it worthy of professional help.

I'm a little unclear on the 'snot' thing. Did she get up, drop her head, and then large amounts of fluid streamed out? Was the fluid clear and watery, or thick and mucousy? If it didn't stream out so much as drip continuously, that is different matter and could just be stress ... although I'm a little perturbed by the quantity in the visual I'm getting. Stress usually causes a gentle drip.

Together with the gagging/reverse sneezing/whatever and throwing up bile it might possibly indicate a nasal or pharyngeal problem; abscess, tumour, infection, foreign body, parasites, lots of things. But I'd let a vet take a look!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest goldfishngreys

Thank you everyone for the invaluable advice! I will be making an appointment to the vet today. As for the "snot", I'm not sure about the consistency since DH was the only one who witnessed it. She does get a drippy nose when nervous so I'm thinking it was more than that.

A vet visit is in order, but I think you have two different problems. One is the empty tummy that others described, the other almost sounds like the reverse sneezing. Which might be caused by a doggie cold. They don't get the same thing we do, but can still catch viruses that cause nasal discharges.